What's new

RT-AC68U for USB Application only?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LexLuthor

Regular Contributor
I have an RT-AC68U that I'm currently using as my main router. I'm thinking about replacing it as a with a non-Asus mesh router system.

Right now, I'm using the Asus with an external hard drive using a UPnP media server locally, smb local share and ftp both internally and outside the network.

Would there still be a way to do that if I'm not using it as the main router? Could I configure it in a way where I could plug it into a LAN port on the new router, disable wifi and still retain all of the USB application functionality?

I haven't tried it with any recent versions of the firmware but IIRC the Media, Samba and FTP servers still work in AP mode. So you could run in AP mode with the WiFi radios turned off. The only change I think you would make would be to create a port forwarding rule for remote FTP access on your primary router because the Asus' FTP "WAN access" option wouldn't be applicable in AP mode.

I'm thinking about replacing it as a with a non-Asus mesh router system.

Replace the Wi-Fi part only with the new mesh system as APs. AC68U with Merlin gives you configuration options, the new Wi-Fi gives you better coverage, your attached storage works the same way as before.

Replace the Wi-Fi part only with the new mesh system as APs. AC68U with Merlin gives you configuration options, the new Wi-Fi gives you better coverage.
Appreciate ColinTaylor's advice and that makes sense as well, but this may be the better way to go. I like all of the features I get on the AC68U. So I still plug my WAN into the Asus, but I disable wifi on the Asus? How do I then connect the non-Asus devices to the Asus to use as APs?

Your new mesh system must have the ability to work as APs only. Check the user manual before you buy the system. Your current setup stays the same with Wi-Fi disabled and the new mesh connects with it's WAN port to a LAN port of your Asus. What mesh system you are looking at?

Your new mesh system must have the ability to work as APs only. Check the user manual before you buy the system. Your current setup stays the same with Wi-Fi disabled and the new mesh connects with it's WAN port to a LAN port of your Asus. What mesh system you are looking at?
https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/mesh/mk62/ Costco has the 3 pack for $200 right now. Would that work in this situation?

I actually have a 2nd RT-AC68U, but I've never been able to get AIMesh to work well. Wifi works well when it's one router, but once I plug in the 2nd one as an AIMesh router, I get occasional dropouts where clients disconnect for a bit. Never happens when running on the single router. But, I could use some additional coverage in some areas.

I actually have a 2nd RT-AC68U

You don't need a new system. Use the second Asus router as wired AP if AiMesh doesn't work for you. Mesh with 3 APs may not improve anything for you. Too many APs too close make things worse. Space out your APs at -60dBm for better results. Test with what you already have first.

AC68U has repeater mode available. Have you tried your second router in repeater mode?

AC68U has repeater mode available. Have you tried your second router in repeater mode?
No, but sounds interesting. So factory reset the 2nd Asus and set it up in repeater mode? How/why would that work differently, better/worse, then using it in AIMesh mode?

Appreciate the help!

How/why would that work differently, better/worse, then using it in AIMesh mode?

Reset the second router and link it to your main router. I don't know how well repeater mode works on this router. I'm just reading the user manual for you and trying to help. Explore your options before you spend $200 for a new mesh system.

I actually have a 2nd RT-AC68U, but I've never been able to get AIMesh to work well. Wifi works well when it's one router, but once I plug in the 2nd one as an AIMesh router, I get occasional dropouts where clients disconnect for a bit.

When is the last time you tried to setup AiMesh? Unless you have a defective router, it should work.

OE

I see a long beta testing thread for AiMesh 2.0 by Asus. I would try it again as @OzarkEdge suggests before spending extra $200.
When did 2.0 come out? What was fixed/changed in 2.0? I may not have really tested it well since 2.0. I'll do that this week. I don't think I'll get a new router at this point anyhow. Just one RT-AC68U comes very close to covering my whole 2500 sq ft 2 story house and enough of the backyard. 2 would be great, but not at the expense of losing the connection every once in a while.

When did 2.0 come out? What was fixed/changed in 2.0? I may not have really tested it well since 2.0. I'll do that this week. I don't think I'll get a new router at this point anyhow. Just one RT-AC68U comes very close to covering my whole 2500 sq ft 2 story house and enough of the backyard. 2 would be great, but not at the expense of losing the connection every once in a while.

Read up:

The current AC68U released firmware is the beta firmware. You should use the Asus Support website for your router: RT-AC68U - Support (asus.com)

OE

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!