What's new

RT-AC68U giving out wrong IP range to wireless clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jak Crow

New Around Here
I've been running this router for quite a while without any issues, but recently, it started giving out DHCP addresses from a range that it isn't even configured with. I've got the LAN DHCP range configured for 192.168.1.10 - .50, but wifi clients are receiving 192.168.0.x IPs and show the gateway to be 192.168.0.1 and they don't have access to the LAN or internet. If I manually configured the clients to use IPs from the correct range, or I do static DHCP assignments using the correct range in the router config itself, the clients reach LAN and internet normally. Guest network is disabled, and not even configured, and there are no other devices on the network that could be rogue DHCP servers. I also did a factory reset and updated to the FW to 3.0.0.4.380.1031 and set the router up from scratch again, and the problem still continues. I'm stumped at this point so I've pulled it off the network and replaced it with an older router I have, and I'm not seeing the problem at all since doing that. I came across people discussing this issue in the past with different Asus routers, but they're from a few years back. Anyone got any ideas?

Try unplugging the modem for a while. Then power cycle the 68, wait about 2 minutes, then plug the modem back in. This could be a screwball artifact of one of your clients Mac addresses being set up as the main Mac for your router (did you clone Mac for your old router?). Power cycle should help the modem sort things out. Dhcp is probably coming from the modem itself, bypassing your 68.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I know this post is getting on the old side, but I stumbled across it as I am having similar issues. Mine is a Tmobile cellspot router, the same Asus model as the one being discussed. For some reason the Tmobile ones give out addresses in the 192.168.29.xxx range. I could change it to 192.168.1.xxx, but it worked fine, so I didn't. But recently, in the last couple months, I've noticed some devices on my network not able to access the Internet. Mostly a couple of kindle fires, but recently my wife's android phone as well. Every time, I look and find that the router has given them a 192.168.1.xxx address, instead of the dot 29 like it should. This has even happened once or twice to a device that I manually assigned an ip to via the Mac address on the router. Typically, I would have to go on the device, give it a good ip, then I can go back and put it on automatic and it would get a good ip. But that doesn't always work.

The only stalwart in all this is my guest network. It never seems to have a problem giving out the right ips. But then of course I can't access other clients on the local network. It's only good for Internet access.

Has anyone found a fix for this? I have not yet tried updating the firmware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!