What's new

How do I check the performance of my router? [RT-AC68U]

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zakalwe

Occasional Visitor
I use my network primarily for Plex streaming (mostly local), torrenting, nothing too major,

I only have these amtm addons right now;

1705663676807.png

But at what point will the performanceof the router start to degrade? or is my router powerful enough to not care?
I have some cooling fans on the back of it.

I use my network primarily for Plex streaming (mostly local), torrenting, nothing too major,

I only have these amtm addons right now;

View attachment 55713

But at what point will the performanceof the router start to degrade? or is my router powerful enough to not care?

If you don't notice a performance degradation using it, then you can keep using it. Me, I retired mine in 2018.

OE

The routers (and your network's performance has already degraded. Time to retire this classic.

Any recommended AX-class router will run circles around it. Whether you notice it for your use cases, is up to how sensitive you are to network improvements.

RT-AX68U (up to ~600Mbps ISP speeds). GT-AX6000 or RT-AX88U Pro (with the latter, (a much newer model), being the better buy in 2024.

Without more information its only a guess on everyone's part. Is the router's RAM and Processor usage pegged all the time? Does the router run hot? Using fans to cool a hot router could be a sign of over taxing the limited hardware of the router. Does the router experience issues or crash on it's own? Are local network file transfers slow or interrupted? Is broadband speed affected in any way? Does the system log indicate any errors or memory issues? Chances are, due to the age and limited hardware on the RT-AC68U, you are possibly experiencing performance issues but are not aware of it because you have become used to it over time.

Like others suggested it may be time to upgrade to a newer, more capable router with better hardware. The RT-AC68U may still have a place depending on specific usage and specific user need, but one will likely have better overall user experience with a newer router.

I guss a new router then. I just got a 4k TV and a SHIELD so it would help streaming lossless audio from that etc? any suggestions? don't care about wifi at all.

If you're streaming over Ethernet, a new router shouldn't be necessary.

However, that 10+ year old router is not just managing the LAN in your set up.

See post 3.

Oof those are pricey. Not really in the budget since I just got the TV/ssoundbar/shield etc. Do I want at least a certain catX cable for everything?

Yes, you want quality Cat5e cable for runs less than 50 or 100 feet.

Don't just buy better spec'd cable, rather, buy the best quality cable you can have professionally installed (even if you install it, be sure it is tested and verified afterward).

Those aren't pricey in the least in today's environment. Look at the 'current' WiFi 7 models to see the savings. ;)

I guss a new router then. I just got a 4k TV and a SHIELD so it would help streaming lossless audio from that etc? any suggestions? don't care about wifi at all.

It's not just wireless - while the AC68u is a bit of a hero - it's time has passed

It's not just wireless - while the AC68u is a bit of a hero - it's time has passed

Yeah I guess it is old. Didn't really realize because asuswrtmerlin kept it useful for longer.

I think I'll get the RT-AX88U Pro, looks like I can get one for £120 range on ebay. I need a temporary router to hook my server up in my flat which has my fiber connection so I can torrent properly on it, I was just going to get a TP-Link AC1200, but should I just use the AC68u for that, I would like a newer one and I can use it as a switch somewhere too, just another AC88U pro??

Do these cables look good?
"BUSOHE Cat 8 Ethernet Cable 10M, 40Gbps/2000Mhz Flat High Speed Network Cable, Braided Flat Gigabit Rj45 STP Shielded"
I like that they're flat cause I need to run x 10meter ones under carpets.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Wait, why did you feel the need to fork out for a new router, because somebody calls it "old"? How "old" is your internet connection speed?

Yes, you want quality Cat5e cable for runs less than 50 or 100 feet.

Don't just buy better spec'd cable, rather, buy the best quality cable you can have professionally installed (even if you install it, be sure it is tested and verified afterward).

Those aren't pricey in the least in today's environment. Look at the 'current' WiFi 7 models to see the savings. ;)
Sounds like a lot of unfounded BS and speculation to me. This rant is for you, read it carefully: [LINK]

I agree: don't change a winning team.
We have a RT-AC68U, a 75 / 75 Mbps Internet subscription and laptops with 802.11ac network adapters, it all works smooth.
To tried to keep pace and replaced the router by a RT-AX86U-Pro, this degraded my home network performance and refused to properly connect the wireless printer. The RT-AX86U-Pro was returned, the RT-AC68U put back in service.
Maybe I had an exemplary bad RT-AX86U-Pro or the firmware was not yet good enough, I decided anyhow to not upgrade the router until there is a real need (e.g router defect, no more firmware updates, or all clients AX ready).

Last edited:
Maybe I had an exemplary bad RT-AX86U-Pro or the firmware was not yet good enough, I decided anyhow to not upgrade the router until there is a real need (e.g router defect, no more firmware updates, or all clients AX ready).
Or the wireless configuration on the RT-AX86U Pro was causing a conflict with the one wireless device. For my use replaced a RT-AC68U with a RT-AX86U Pro and it's been great on a 500/500 fiber line. No issue with a several year old multifunction inject wireless printer connecting to 2.4Ghz WiFi orr with numerous IoT, smartphones and tablets connecting to both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz on the RT-AX86U Pro.

For lower speed broadband the 10 year old hardware on the RT-AC68U will still work fine despite what is likely finally and unfortunately reaching it's end with Asus support in the near future. I just found it to feel sluggish on a 500/500 speed broadband line with certain features enabled while on a low speed 7/1.5 speed line it worked fine for many years. Another reason to replace the RT-AC68U is to get faster client WiFi speeds with WiFi6 or even WiFi7.

Last edited:
I started with similar wireless settings in the RT-AX86U-Pro like the RT-AC68U, then experimented with various other settings including factory defaults with only the required changes and finally gave up.
I loved the RT-AX86U-Pro for the form factor, very similar to the RT-AC68U so I could place it at exact the same location.

how does does the ASUS RT-AX86U Pro (AX5700) compare with the NETGEAR Nighthawk RAX70 AX8 if I can get the RAX70 at the same price as the AX86U (amazon warehouse)? I could maybe get an ASUS RT-AX82U V2 (AX5400) for £135 as a temp solution + I need a second router.

Thanks.

Oh I just realized neatgear = no asuswrt.

I'll just get the AX86u Pro.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!