What's new

RT-AC68U can't upgrade firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mikalan

New Around Here
Dear All,

I got 2 problems, if anyone knows how to solve it, pls share your comments. I appreciate for your supporting. Thanks!

• When upgrading firmware for my AC68U wireless router. I downloaded latest version of firmware 386.12_4 and uploaded to the router. but after finished, there is no rebooting, only login window popped up. When input username and password for logon, nothing happened. the firmware is still old version 384.13.
  • The software center is gone, can't find the software center.

No idea what the "software center" is. But first step when having trouble updating firmware is to try a different web browser AND make sure to use a computer wired (Ethernet) directly to the router's LAN port. Do not attempt to update the firmware over WiFi.

If you have a T-Mobile branded (TM-AC1900) router, have you properly jail broken the router by performing the MTD5 fix? Failure to perform the MTD5 fix usually results in being unable to update the TM-AC1900 router to the latest firmware. Various websites explain how to perform the MD5 fix on the TM-AC1900, for example see the Code for fixing MTD5 partition so you can update to latest firmware section at the following link:

Last edited:
No idea what the "software center" is. But first step when having trouble updating firmware is to try a different web browser AND make sure to use a computer wired (Ethernet) directly to the router's LAN port. Do not attempt to update the firmware over WiFi.

If you have a T-Mobile branded (TM-AC1900) router, have you properly jail broken the router by performing the MTD5 fix? Failure to perform the MTD5 fix usually results in being unable to update the TM-AC1900 router to the latest firmware. Various websites explain how to perform the MD5 fix on the TM-AC1900, for example see the Code for fixing MTD5 partition so you can update to latest firmware section at the following link:
yes, it's TM-AC1900, but it was flashed to RT-AC68U with Merlin firmware ver 384.13 already. I used Edge browser in Windows 11 with wired connection to upgrade the firmware, and tried serveral times, but still failed. Any suggestion ? Thanks!

1708172546293.png

yes, it's TM-AC1900, but it was flashed to RT-AC68U with Merlin firmware ver 384.13 already. I used Edge browser in Windows 11 with wired connection to upgrade the firmware, and tried serveral times, but still failed. Any suggestion ? Thanks!
As my post asks, have you done the MTD5 fix on your TM-AC1900? See the link I provided in my post that explains how to do the MTD5 fix on/to the router. If you don't do the MTD5 fix, one is typically prevented from installing later Asus-Merlin firmware to that router. With a properly jail broken TM-AC1900 including the MTD5 fix one can run the latest Asus-Merlin firmware.

Last edited:
This Software Center... as far as I remember it was part of Koolshare (illegal?) Asuswrt-Merlin fork. This router doesn't even run Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.

This Software Center... as far as I remember it was part of Koolshare (illegal?) Asuswrt-Merlin fork. This router doesn't even run Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.
Never even heard of Koolshare fork. The OP would have to, or should, post what firmware they're running on their TM-AC1900 router and if the MTD5 fix was actually performed on the router. There have been a number of past posts over the years by others who couldn't update their TM-AC1900 past a certain Asus-Merlin firmware version due to not performing the MTD5 fix.

The name 'Koolshare' doesn't solicit much trust! :)

OE

Never even heard of Koolshare fork.

I've run it on my test routers. Popular in China and comes with this Software Center for extra apps. Something like our AMTM, but in the GUI. Pretty Kool feature actually, but all in Chinese and I'm not good with Mandarin and not in China - can't test much. Also Chinese routers have additional UU game accelerator. It comes from stock Asuswrt and your router also has it in firmware, but it's disabled and hidden.

1708267559835.png

1708267672237.png

Can't comment about how "legal" this thing is and what it takes or gives from/to the users, but the folks there took Asuswrt-Merlin to another level. 🫡

Can't comment about how "legal" this thing is and what it takes or gives from/to the users, but the folks there took Asuswrt-Merlin to another level. 🫡

Third-party forks are going to do what they're going to do - isn't that much different than the scripting community supporting RMerlin's fork...

The TM-AC1900 is an odd-duck - an alien in a cat-suit so to speak - even with the hacks/patches there might be left-overs, and it's not officially supported outside of the factory firmware.

All told though - the AC68U is well beyond it's use by date, so perhaps time to consider replacing it - it's not just SW getting beyond BugFix/Security updates, but the HW itself is getting old - power supplies start to fail, capacitors go bad as they always do...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!