What's new

RT-AC68U in Media Bridge mode won't go faster than 288.9 Mbps. Main router = AX-88U. RSSI @ AC-68U is a strong -35dBm.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Someone reported switching WPA2 only to WPA/WPA2 security on the parent AP miraculously fixed the Media Bridge performance. Not recommended from Wi-Fi security stand point, but you can test if this is the case with your setup as well. There are some firmware quirks with this router.

Tested this theory. Slow downs experienced when AP SSID set to wpa2/wpa3-personal as below.

1702276691198.png

For WPA-personal, there's also options for wpa/wpa2-psk, wpa-psk, wpa2-psk. Dropping it down to wpa2-psk fixed the speed issue with more current firmwares (386 branch). However, in performance testing, the older firmware had a marginal increase of ~100 mbps more in iperf3 results, reaching speeds of nearly 900mbps on a 1300 mbps link. Perhaps there's more code bloat in the newer versions.

Either way, for my purposes of media bridge mode, any security or bug fixes are relatively irrelevant. The RT box itself has no internet access, gateway and dns ip's are undefined (or set to bogus values if undefined not allowed). Only wifi related security fixes would be of value. It would of been nice to fully saturate the gig link, but I'll take 800-900 mbps on this decade old device.

Btw, thanks for the link. Sounds a lot like my headache. This AP (eap670) allows for different security settings for each defined SSID. It's thus possible to have 2 distinct ssid's, on the same vlan, on the same band (5ghz) with _different_ security parameters. Seems clunky to me, but a possible usecase might be to allow a client using older security standards to communicate over wifi to client supporting newer standards. Very edge case IMO. If anything, I'd put the older (less secure) client on their own ssid/vlan entirely, even block lan access (guest mode blocks all traffic bound for private ip ranges).

Last edited:
In theory no client on 5GHz will use WPA.

To file a 'bug report' to Asus, you need to install the stock firmware and submit your findings via the GUI.
Specifically:

The report feature is under "Administration/Feedback" - describe what you did and what the problem is- in the free-text field, and remember to check "attach logs" so they can use it to problem-solve.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!