What's new

RT-AC68U in Media Bridge Mode losing connection to main router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have an AC3100 set up as a media bridge, and whenever I try to do transfers of large files from my NAS drive, it drops off too. It seems to happen only when I am doing Samba transfers at high speeds. All devices that are connected via the media bridge drop off, and the lights on the unit turn off as well except for the power light.

SOLUTION FOUND FOR MEDIA BRIDGE

To make media bridge stable, I got the solution in another thread.
USE FW 380.66 on AC66U (I used Merlins - the last one in 380.66 series - it was called 380.66_4).

Have not lost connection and required reboot for months (august 2nd i changed) since i changed over and that was the ONLY change i made.
I do notice that internet somtimes lags 1-10seconds, but never disconnects. Could be external issues (DNS or likewise) or some other issue with the FW.
Regardless I have no more issues streaming movies, file copying from my NAS and so on.
No more router reboots every 3-4hours :D - just 100% uptime

After that ASUS broke media bridge mode for good it seems like
Cheers
Boogie
Can confirm that with this firmware - 380.66_6 (series) the streaming is working fine without "disconnects" / streaming issues like with latest Merlin one.

Struggling with my media bridge setup for a couple of months already since lockdown. I can confirm that 380.66 is more stable for media bridge mode than the latest release. I'm right now on 380.66_0 (380.66_6 gave me callbacks and router became unresponsive in 1-2 days) .
Still playing with multiple variants of channels to get things working and waiting for this ugly messages in log " net_ratelimit: 3 callbacks suppressed" :(

My setup is: Vodafone "stupid" router (wifi off) -> RT-AC87U (Router mode, DHCP) -> RT-AC68U (Media-bridge over 5GHz) -> TP-Link Archer (in AP mode over LAN)

Multiple devices attached to all routers.

Reporting back after a few days.
Unfortunately again in the log of AC68U (which is in Media Bridge) started to appear "net_ratelimit: X callbacks suppressed" messages, the router web interface becomes unresponsive and its connection to main router becomes very unstable.

No idea where to look further.

If you just need a stable Media-Bridge RT-AC68U - switch it to Fresh Tomato firmware.
If you must use ASUS/Merlin firmware on RT-AC68U - switch it to Repeater mode.
I can confirm the part about Fresh Tomato firmware. Struggled with old/new versions of Asus/Merlin firmware for AC66U-B1 for almost a year. Switched to Fresh Tomato 9 months ago and have had no problems since (like dropped connections or slow web browsing) in Media Bridge mode.

Last edited:
Year 2022 & Merlin 386.5_2 and still issues on media bridge (AC68U).
On the main router I got the

Code:
Apr  4 16:00:43 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(491): eth2: Deauth_ind E0:3F:49:ED:C8:74, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3), rssi:-60

which means that something happenned on the media bridge:

Code:
Apr  4 15:50:42 sd-idle-2.6[346]: spinning up /dev/sda after 4 hours 27 mins 1 secs
Apr  4 16:00:44 rc_service: psta_monitor 244:notify_rc restart_wlcmode 0
Apr  4 16:00:44 FTP_Server: daemon is stopped
Apr  4 16:00:44 wsdd2[19547]: Terminated received.
Apr  4 16:00:44 wsdd2[19547]: terminating.
Apr  4 16:00:45 Samba_Server: smb daemon is stopped
Apr  4 16:00:45 kernel: gro disabled
Apr  4 16:00:46 syslog: Error unlocking 5: 9 Bad file descriptor
Apr  4 16:00:46 syslog: Error unlocking 0: 9 Bad file descriptor
Apr  4 16:00:46 dropbear[19507]: Early exit: Terminated by signal
Apr  4 16:00:46 dnsmasq[19497]: exiting on receipt of SIGTERM

I've been watching that Terminated received fron a looooong time now...
Normally 1-2 dropouts everyday, very annoying when on a meeting.
Normally reconnects after 1-3 minutes.

Regards.

Check your signal RSSI and the Roaming Assistant threshold you have configured on the Wireless -> Professional page (Asus enables the roaming assistant by default now).

I don't use Roaming Assistant and my AC68U (A2) with Merlin in Bridge Mode would lose connection too if the router was rebooted (also running Merlin). Flashed AC68U back to the official FWs fixed it.

Last edited:
I don't use Roaming Assistant and my AC68U (A2) with Merlin in Bridge Mode would lose connection too if the router was rebooted (also running Merlin). Flashed AC68U back to the official FWs fixed it.
My response was for @bROTHER, as I noticed his log actually specified an RSSI value.

Check your signal RSSI and the Roaming Assistant threshold you have configured on the Wireless -> Professional page (Asus enables the roaming assistant by default now).
Thank you for the point.
I checked it out and it's disabled.
-57 dBm with 877.5 Mbps is the normal bitrate on which these two are connected. Never seen it above 1170 Mbps.

I've been running both ASUS on maximal verbose log level for two months now but couldn't find what is originating those Terminated received that knocks down the bridge.

SOLUTION FOUND FOR MEDIA BRIDGE

To make media bridge stable, I got the solution in another thread.
USE FW 380.66 on AC66U (I used Merlins - the last one in 380.66 series - it was called 380.66_4).

Have not lost connection and required reboot for months (august 2nd i changed) since i changed over and that was the ONLY change i made.
I do notice that internet somtimes lags 1-10seconds, but never disconnects. Could be external issues (DNS or likewise) or some other issue with the FW.
Regardless I have no more issues streaming movies, file copying from my NAS and so on.
No more router reboots every 3-4hours :D - just 100% uptime

After that ASUS broke media bridge mode for good it seems like
Cheers
Boogie
Just want to confirm that this solution worked on my AC66U router. As suggested, I downgraded firmware to Merlin 380.66_4 and Media Bridge connection has been 100% up for more than two weeks. Thank you Boogieman for posting this solution.

Another easy get around without downgrade: plug in a usb drive to the router and then start media share from the drive. This will keep the media bridge alive.

Another easy get around without downgrade: plug in a usb drive to the router and then start media share from the drive. This will keep the media bridge alive.

Hey @zhousy how has the USB Drive fix been working for you since August 2023. Any other Media Bridge failures since then ?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!