What's new

Solved RT-AC68U [Internal Storage] tab shows JFFS Unmounted

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just One Word: SWEEEEEEEET!

Try resetting your JFFS settings:

Code:
nvram set jffs2_enable=1
nvram set jffs2_format=0
nvram set jffs2_on=1
nvram unset jffs2_size
nvram commit

Then reboot.
I was browsing my new GUI interface with John's fork, configuring to my liking, (didn't get to SSHing/installing 3rd party apps yet) and then (The Old Girlfriend showed up at the front door) :p i.e. noticed your post about resetting my JFFS settings (in SSH).

Soooooo ... Dropped the new girlfriend off at the bus station but saved her number just in case (i.e. saved the NVRAM and JFFS partition settings in RT-AC68U_374.43_46E9j9527) ;)

What I did:JFFS mounted?
Flashed RT-AC68U_374.43_46E9j9527yes! Though JFFS was initially unmounted [Format JFFS partition at next boot] Yes/Apply/Reboot--mounted JFFS
flashed directly to 386.1no
[Format JFFS partition at next boot] Yes/Apply/Rebootno (can't SSH into router in 386.1 dropbear fails to load) UPDATE: w/ v. 386.1_2, SSH now works even if JFFS is unmounted
flashed directly to 384.19 --That dang captcha causes
problems logging in so had to power off/press hold WPS/
power on/wait for rapid power LED flash/release WPS.
yes!!! (Plan at this point was to SSH into the router and try the nvram commands offered by @RMerlin to mount the JFFS--but surprisingly it mounted!) CODE:
nvram set jffs2_enable=1
nvram set jffs2_format=0
nvram set jffs2_on=1
nvram unset jffs2_size
nvram commit
Reboot
PART 2:
[Factory Default Restore] w/ "Initialize..." checkedyes!
Reboot 384.19yes!
Flashed 386.1yes!!! My JFFS partition now mounts in 386.1
Part 3:
[Factory Default Restore] w/ "Initialize..." checkedyes!
Reboot 386.1yes!
power off 10 seconds/press hold WPS/
power on/wait for rapid power LED flash/release WPS.
yes!

Attachments

• Web capture_5-2-2021_16131_192.168.1.1.jpeg
    Web capture_5-2-2021_16131_192.168.1.1.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 163
  • Web capture_5-2-2021_165847_192.168.1.1.jpeg
    Web capture_5-2-2021_165847_192.168.1.1.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
@Wallace_n_Gromit 'The Old Girlfriend showed up at the front door'

Some of those are pretty funny, but not even one makes me think of RMerlin! :D

This is the first time I've ever had to troubleshoot such a severe issue in Merlin Firmware. I attribute that to my failure over the years since I've been on this forum to ever do a clean installation of one single upgrade. It's been so easy to do one dirty install after another, and it works, you use it and then wait for the next update for another dirty install.

I want to thank those who took an interest in this to offer their time, talents, and good leads, to pursue a solution. Especially:

@dave14305, By introducing the thought of trying John's fork, that was the path to the eventually solving of the problem IMHO

@john9527, It is so cool that you have maintained this fork. I wonder if the older (uncluttered?) codebase made it easier to format the JFFS and to carry it forward eventually to the 386 codebase?

@L&LD, you have always emphasized the importance of sound/methodical processes for just about everything from upgrading the firmware(s) to the orderly installations of 3rd party scripts. Had I followed sound/consistent processes from the start, I may never have had this unique issue to troubleshoot.

@RMerlin. you always offer just enough information to lead the user to investigate/solve their issue.

Really happy to be part of such a helpful cadre of bright helpful people!

What does nvram unset jffs2_size do?
When the JFFS2 partition first gets initialized, its size is stored in that variable. This is old remains from the original Tomato code where those older routers had a JFFS partition that could change size whenever a new firmware was flashed, as JFFS was allocated out of whatever leftovers once the firmware had taken its own portion of the flash. That variable was used to determine whenever the partition size had changed, which could indicate it might need to be reformated again due to corruption caused by the resize.