What's new

[RT-AC68U] Just bought one, any tips for a new comer?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Slickepinnen

Occasional Visitor
Just plugged in my new router, and have a couple of quick questions.

First of all, is there any website with recommendations of settings? I remember seeing one before I went and ordered this one but lost the link :(

Firmwire version say 3.0.0.4.374_379-g9540d57 and if I click "Check" it says there is no updated firmware available.
Downloading the latest firmware from the asus website though, the file is named RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374_4422-gc83c78f.trx, shouldn't that show up as an updated firmware?
Or should I skip those two alltogether and install Merlins version? What do you guys recommend?

On my last router, I had DD-WRT wich worked fine, it had an option to automatically update my dynamic dns (freedns.afraid.org) ip, is that functionality available in any of the firmwares?

Thanks!

Edit: allright just found this thread about dnsomatic so atleast that's taken care of :)

Last edited:
I would skip the latest asus firmware there is a issue causing random reboots. Merlin says Asus is releasing a fix at any time. I running Merlin 39 on my 68U and it works good no issues for what i use it for.

Is there a way to name the different devices that connect to the router? Sometime the name of the device shows next to the mac or ip. In DD-WRT it is possible.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!