What's new

Solved RT-AC68U Network Map Shows as Disconnected

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SevenFactors

Regular Contributor
Hello,

As shown on the image, my rt-ac68u has been showing itself as being disconnected. Oddly enough, here I'm making this post.

Under the Network Map/Internet Status all fields are populated as they should under a sound/stable connection.

When I first noticed this taking place I was running v386.1 but typically a simple page refresh/switching to another tab and back would bring the Internet status display back to Connected, show the WAN IP and DDNS info. At the time, I didn't think much of it.

Today, though I was able to connect to websites, some webpages were being redirected to the router's default WAN-down landing page. Seeing that my modem light read that it is fully online, I logged into the router to find that the router's internet status is: Disconnected X. Reloading the page quickly flashes the the WAN IP, etc but then it is back to Disconnected X.

I went ahead check to see if there was a firmware and found v386.1_2. I applied the update, which went smoothly. The Disconnect issue still exist but some how here I'm making this post.

So far Wired and Wireless devices are able to access the internet.

Q: What could the issue be?

My ISP is comcast and my WAN settings are set to:
Automatic IP.
DHCP query frequency: Aggressive Mode.
1500 MTU.
My own set DNS IPs.
Not cloning Mac address.
*This is how it has been since day one.

I can't seem to find any clear info on and if Comcast requires for the DHCP query frequency to be set to aggressive or normal. Talking to comcast support all I got was the usual router reset routine and that all is working well at their end.

Q: Is anybody else experiencing this? What are the recommended comcast settings?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-03-04 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC68U - Network Map.png
    Screenshot_2021-03-04 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC68U - Network Map.png
    223.3 KB · Views: 257
A cure for the problem that has worked for me is just change the ping target that the router is using to determine if the Internet is down. If it is using 8.8.8.8 use 8.8.4.4.

Intrestin
A cure for the problem that has worked for me is just change the ping target that the router is using to determine if the Internet is down. If it is using 8.8.8.8 use 8.8.4.4.

Interesting.

It worked. I had it set for DNS Query and Ping

I had set as follows

DNS Query: (I set this based on the Asus guide and chose to query wikipedia)
www.wikipedia.com, 208.801.154.224

Ping:
www.google.com (selected from the list)

After reading your post, I ticked off DNS Query off and set Ping to 8.8.8.8 and the router is now properly stating that it is online. The router System Time is still in sync.

- Perhaps wikipedia doesn't allow this type of queries or the IP changed!? The IP I got when I traced routed wikipedia.com
- Perhaps Pings work best with IPs than URLs!?

Thank you very much.