What's new

RT-AC68U new firmware 3.0.0.4.384_20624-g14d2f02

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

86U is overdue for update IMO...

Yes, but... the last update was only 19 days ago! :rolleyes:

Maybe it's just me... and AiMesh... but both the frequency of and the necessity for updates seems unusually high... not an ideal situation for ASUS nor its customers. I hope the dust settles sooner than later.

OE

2 issues.

1. This firmware is unstable for retail AC68u's in media bridge mode.

I have been waking up to find multiple applications have disconnected and reconnected after a lengthy/10-15m period, I have experienced it occuring atleast twice through online game disconnects and the router has been unreachable when it occurs
The log data is quite useless as when it comes back up its time has been lost and must go through ntp sync again.

Before this update, I have had near continuous perfect connection on 3.0.0.4.384_20308

2. The broadcom kernel in this update also displays an issue where the wifi rate does not update on the wireless log.

On the unit it is connected wirelessly to (in my case, an ac88u), the wireless log displays both the LAN and WLAN mac addresses of the 68U, but only the LAN mac address displays wifi rate adjustment as a client on the 68u is speedtested. and The WLAN mac address is stuck at 6M 1300M TX/RX whilst performing at full speed as indicated.

Eg
:78 Yes Yes -69dBm No Yes Yes No 1053M 1300M < LAN mac
:7C Yes Yes -69dBm No Yes Yes No 6M 1300M < WLAN mac

Having returned to 3.0.0.4.384_20308, only the WLAN mac address of the 68u shows in the 88u's wireless log.

:7C Yes Yes -68dBm No Yes Yes No 975M 1053M

In the AC68u's wireless log, the AC88's was stuck at 1300M 6M, this is also corrected going back to 3.0.0.4.384_20308.

Last edited:
Nevermind. I got confused.

OE

Last edited:
There was no links incuded so the posts were skipped as i looked to see if it was reported.
Link was here in #97 exactly the same as yours and now rolled out anywhere.
Using the .20624 URL on the ASUS support website, I deduced a download URL for the RT-AC68U to be http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC68U/FW_RT_AC68U_300438420648.ZIP. There is no change log associated with the build contained in the zip archive.

No need to edit links and manually download, my 68U updated yesterday to 648 via the Asus router app (firmware update button)

updated node to 3.0.0.4.384_20648 it start dropping connection to my wifi cameras , had to go back to 20624

Nope, broken. Frequent media bridge disconnects.
This issue is present since they introduced Aimesh into their fw(384.XXXX), the mediabrigde mode is broken with frequents disconnects or no internet access for the devices hooked on the bridge,a reboot solve the issue but the problem come back (RT-AC1900p).
Many times this has been reported by peoples , several times i sent them cfg file (asus). 4 or 5 firmwares later and still the same problem.
I gave up the idea o_O. My bridge is now on merlin version 380.70(merlin), the only way to have a solid working bridge.

Edit : Nope! i will not send more CFG file :D

This issue is present since they introduced Aimesh into their fw(384.XXXX), the mediabrigde mode is broken with frequents disconnects or no internet access for the devices hooked on the bridge,a reboot solve the issue but the problem come back (RT-AC1900p).
Many times this has been reported by peoples , several times i sent them cfg file (asus). 4 or 5 firmwares later and still the same problem.
I gave up the idea o_O. My bridge is now on merlin version 380.70(merlin), the only way to have a solid working bridge.

Yes, my RT-AC68Us were formerly TM-AC1900s. I suspect we got nailed by the same problem. Thank you for pointing out the solution. I've been meaning to try Merlin since I heard many good things about it, but I wanted to give the official Asus FW a fair shake first. Asus support doesn't even attempt to provide an answer so it's time to move on. o_O

First gen ac68u.
I have to roll back the firmware to 384.20308 for media bridge to work properly again.

media bridge on later firmware seems to work for a short while, and start experiencing issue.
When trying to connect to the ac68u via the ip address, it will take a while but end up loading the setting have been updated message.

If I try to access the router via ip address few time, it will eventually load the log in page.

It feel like ac68u went sleep and need to ping the router to reestablish the link.

When I check my main router, it will shows the ac68u is connected, but no ip assigned.

rebooting either router will make media bridge to work for a short while, and fails again.

Also ac3100 is currently not compatible with ac68u @ 384.206xx on the aimesh either.

It works ok with already established ai-mesh, but unable to establish new ai-mesh connection.

Yes, my RT-AC68Us were formerly TM-AC1900s. I suspect we got nailed by the same problem. Thank you for pointing out the solution. I've been meaning to try Merlin since I heard many good things about it, but I wanted to give the official Asus FW a fair shake first. Asus support doesn't even attempt to provide an answer so it's time to move on. o_O

Hooray I bricked my router by trying to flash Merlin 380.70. I was on the latest Asus FW when I tried flashing 380.70. I was careful to check the 380.70 notes and it clearly says that it's ok to flash starting from official Asus FW. So what went wrong? The flash seemed to have completed and it rebooted, but it came up as a TM-AC1900 rather than Merlin. WTF?! Now when I enter recovery mode I cannot flash TM-AC1900_3.0.0.4_376_1703-g0ffdbba.trx in order to revert. The CFE mini server puts up a message about the image being invalid. So essentially it's bricked because there's no way to undo the TM-AC1900 FW that it's stuck in. I suspect the very latest Asus FW has a role in this.

If anyone knows how to get out of this jam please let me know. Thanks.

Hooray I bricked my router by trying to flash Merlin 380.70. I was on the latest Asus FW when I tried flashing 380.70. I was careful to check the 380.70 notes and it clearly says that it's ok to flash starting from official Asus FW. So what went wrong? The flash seemed to have completed and it rebooted, but it came up as a TM-AC1900 rather than Merlin. WTF?! Now when I enter recovery mode I cannot flash TM-AC1900_3.0.0.4_376_1703-g0ffdbba.trx in order to revert. The CFE mini server puts up a message about the image being invalid. So essentially it's bricked because there's no way to undo the TM-AC1900 FW that it's stuck in. I suspect the very latest Asus FW has a role in this.

If anyone knows how to get out of this jam please let me know. Thanks.

My firmware does not support the TM-AC1900, and Asus is preventing flashing non TM-AC1900 firmwares on it. Any discussions on how to bypass these limitations are forbidden on the forums for legal reasons - https://www.snbforums.com/threads/snbforums-policy-on-asus-tm-ac1900-conversion-discussion.46018/ .

My firmware does not support the TM-AC1900, and Asus is preventing flashing non TM-AC1900 firmwares on it. Any discussions on how to bypass these limitations are forbidden on the forums for legal reasons - https://www.snbforums.com/threads/snbforums-policy-on-asus-tm-ac1900-conversion-discussion.46018/ .

That's a bunch of hogwash. To begin with I specifically asked Asus if there would be problems in upgrading/downgrading FW after flashing their latest RT-AC68U FW. Asus clearly and unambiguously indicated that there would not be any such problems. Furthermore they did not mention that one of the objectives of their latest FW release was to block flashing of any FW whether it be their own or 3rd party. As for your disclaimer I was not directed to that link when I signed up recently. And back tracking over my recent discussion in this forum shows that comments regarding 380.70 that influenced me were not redacted or qualified in any way. Looking at the information given to me at face value how am I to know that 380.70 solves the media bridge problem I referred to only for routers that have been RT-AC68U all along and not those converted from TM-AC1900s?? Did anyone who represents this forum jump in to alert me to take pause before I flashed 380.70? And what "legal reasons" are we referring to? After many years of explicitly allowing 3rd party mods of their routers Asus suddenly reverses direction? Certainly not based on what they told me. If you're going to practice CYA at least make sure you have a story that makes sense. And while you're at it feel free to delete my account. Clearly the free and unfettered exchange of information is not a priority here.

Nope, broken. Frequent media bridge disconnects.

lets not compare my real AC68U to your 'fake' one.

have no issue till this firmware and 648.