What's new

RT-AC68U poor 5Ghz performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You have no wireless settings in Repeater Mode. The Repeater is obviously always using the Parent AP band and channel and duplicated SSID/password with option for change. There is nothing else to set there and accordingly not available in the GUI in Repeater Mode.

There's a long page of "professional" settings on the router. You're saying that the router and repeater don't need to agree on these?

If you have -30dBm to the Repeater - why do you need this Repeater? 2.4GHz clients work well to -70dBm and 5GHz clients to -80dBm.

Now you're just rambling. What did the original OP say and what was my post in response? The issue is the 5 Ghz. Please stay on topic.

No. This was a conversation in Dec 2021. I have to re-read it to see what it was about. Now is Jan 2023 and I'm answering your questions.

LOL. So what you previously said is no longer valid and you couldn't be bothered to scroll back in the thread? It's pretty obvious to a reasonable person that by "just" I meant earlier in the thread - as in a few posts ago. 2021 to 2023 doesn't represent a sea change in technology - observations about the RT-AX86U (which your comment seems to be) still hold.

So what you previously said is no longer valid

The user above had long term issues with failing router and it had to be replaced. The router I have recommended in 2021 is not available in stores anymore and is perhaps discontinued. Pay attention to the difference between RT-AX68U and RT-AX86U models. What I have said 2 years ago indeed may not be valid today - things change. What I have said to you today is -42dBm and -49dBm is excellent strength Wi-Fi signal. If you don't believe me - I'm okay. I showed you examples of much lower signal levels and link speeds to clients. You perhaps don't need the repeaters and oversaturate your Wi-Fi environment. Figure it out by yourself (see below).

Now you're just rambling.

This conversation ends here. Good luck.

The user above had long term issues with failing router and it had to be replaced. The router I have recommended in 2021 is not available in stores anymore and is perhaps discontinued. Pay attention to the difference between RT-AX68U and RT-AX86U models. What I have said 2 years ago indeed may not be valid today - things change. What I have said to you today is -42dBm and -49dBm is excellent strength Wi-Fi signal. If you don't believe me - I'm okay. I showed you examples of much lower signal levels and link speeds to clients. You perhaps don't need the repeaters and oversaturate your Wi-Fi environment. Figure it out by yourself (see below).

This conversation ends here. Good luck.

Your exact comment was "I would replace the router with something more modern like RT-AX68U. The new routers deal with interference better, reach further and will push more data even to your existing clients." Does this not hold true for the RT-AX86U ? And speed was never the primary issue. Not for the OP nor for me. If the OP's router was failing then perhaps so is mine, we certainly experience some of the same symptoms.

OTOH the upstairs 5 Ghz repeater is line of sight and only about about 35 feet from the router, but can only muster a -49 RSSI. How does that even make sense?
First, remember that a repeater halves the throughput because it must handle the data stream twice.

And the tradeoff between 2.4G and 5G has always been range traded for bandwidth.

Ignoring the repeater issue, my Samsung mobile connected to my router on 5G at -61 RSSI gets 430Mbps download. More than enough.............

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!