What's new

RT-AC68U problems Please help.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

missa921

New Around Here
I have an ASUS RT-AC68U. When I first got it a few months ago, everything ran smoothly. Now both of my laptops wifi speeds are slow, but my iphones are fast. I pay for 50 Mbps, my laptops are only getting 20(ish) on a good day, but my iphones consistently get 50+ Mbps. When the laptop is plugged directly into the router I get speeds of 50+.

I have contacted the cable company and they say everything looks good on their end. I have done a complete power cycle on both router and modem. I have checked for driver updates on my laptop. I have restored the router back to factory settings and did not load a previous profile. I have played with the router settings a bit trying things I've seen on here, but with no improvements.

I would be grateful for any help. Thanks!

P.S. Please feel free to talk to me like I'm a 4 year old. I'm not nearly as savvy about all this as I'd like to be. :)

I have an ASUS RT-AC68U. When I first got it a few months ago, everything ran smoothly. Now both of my laptops wifi speeds are slow, but my iphones are fast. I pay for 50 Mbps, my laptops are only getting 20(ish) on a good day, but my iphones consistently get 50+ Mbps. When the laptop is plugged directly into the router I get speeds of 50+.

I have contacted the cable company and they say everything looks good on their end. I have done a complete power cycle on both router and modem. I have checked for driver updates on my laptop. I have restored the router back to factory settings and did not load a previous profile. I have played with the router settings a bit trying things I've seen on here, but with no improvements.

I would be grateful for any help. Thanks!

P.S. Please feel free to talk to me like I'm a 4 year old. I'm not nearly as savvy about all this as I'd like to be. :)

a lot more info will be necessary. how are you verifying that your computer is running at 20mbps (ish)? how do you know your iphone is running faster? are you talking about connection rate or data transfer (meaning it says you are connected at that rate in your wireless settings or you are transferring content to the computer at that right from either another computer, the internet, or the hard drive attached to the router)?

you can also look at inssider (a program) to see how many wireless networks are around you and what channels they are on. You may be able to change the channel you are on for 2.4 or 5ghz as well as the mhz they are broadcasting on.

I'm using Ookla's speedtest.net to test the speed on both the laptops and iphones.

I went to the inssider website, and that software is pretty pricey.

I have also played with the 2.5 and 5ghz settings as well as tried different channels and there is no difference.

when you look at the status of the network connection on the laptops, at what speed does it indicate being connected at?

network.png

I'm not sure why the duration is listed at 2day, I have restared the routed and modem at least once today.

Last edited:
I'm using Ookla's speedtest.net to test the speed on both the laptops and iphones.

I went to the inssider website, and that software is pretty pricey.

I have also played with the 2.5 and 5ghz settings as well as tried different channels and there is no difference.

There is a Free inSSIDer

Are your laptops and phones on 2.4 or 5 GHz?

Something else to try: delete/forget your WiFi connection on your laptops and reconnect.

it appears OP may be severely limited by their wifi cards

There is a Free inSSIDer

Are your laptops and phones on 2.4 or 5 GHz?

Something else to try: delete/forget your WiFi connection on your laptops and reconnect.

Thank you for the link. Downloading now!

How can you tell if they are 2.4 or 5?

Trying the delete/forget thing now, will update if it worked or not.

it appears OP may be severely limited by their wifi cards

That crossed my mind as well, but I was receiving higher speeds previously on the current cards. That is why my first instinct was to update the drivers.

I also uninstalled and reinstalled the wifi driver on my hubby's laptop with no improvement.

That crossed my mind as well, but I was receiving higher speeds previously on the current cards. That is why my first instinct was to update the drivers.

I also uninstalled and reinstalled the wifi driver on my hubby's laptop with no improvement.

it is unlikely that you will ever get a speed of over 20ish if your connection rate is 75 mbps. merlin said (this is the most of my knowledge) that 50% of your connection rate would be the most you would ever achieve for your actual throughput or transfer speeds. so 20ish is reasonable for 75mbps connection rate

What firmware are you running on Asus router?

Which firmwares have you tried on Asus router?

Most of the wifi drivers come in two flavors;
A) With wifi manager
B) No wifi manager.

In my experience, using drivers with out wifi manager is better in most cases. As wifi manager it self can cause issues.

In Wifi NIC properties, make sure you have disabled power management.

Also, go in to control panel, Power Options, Advanced power Settings - and change Wifi power savings to Max Performance ( battery and plugged in).

What firmware are you running on Asus router?

Which firmwares have you tried on Asus router?

Most of the wifi drivers come in two flavors;
A) With wifi manager
B) No wifi manager.

In my experience, using drivers with out wifi manager is better in most cases. As wifi manager it self can cause issues.

In Wifi NIC properties, make sure you have disabled power management.

Also, go in to control panel, Power Options, Advanced power Settings - and change Wifi power savings to Max Performance ( battery and plugged in).

Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.374_5656

Both of the settings were already set as you suggested.

Im guessing you are using 2.4ghz band for your laptops, then try these settings. After the settings have been applied, wait 1 min and power cycle the router. For some odd reason, new settings dont always take full effect until you power cycle the router. So unplug the power cord and count till 10.

p.s.
same settings can be used on 5ghz band.

Attachments

• 2.4settings.png
    2.4settings.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 582
  • 2.4prosettings.png
    2.4prosettings.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your help/suggestions. Unfortunately the issue is not resolved. :(
I'm inclined to believe that it may be due to local traffic as the download above shows a LOT of other routers in close proximity.

You can try one more thing.

Go in to device manager and delete the wifi adapter.
Reboot the laptop and let Windows re-install it again.

Where did you download the drivers?

If the phones are fast, then the issue has to be with the laptop it self. Could be a rootkit/trojan that is sucking up bandwidth.

How can you tell if they are 2.4 or 5?

Sorry I never answered this:

You can use this command line:
Open a command prompt and type/paste:

netsh wlan show interfaces

You should get something like this:
netshwlan_zps0e3f8c99.png

You can see the connection (e.g. 802.11n) and the channel, 1-11(14) are 2.4 GHz and 36+ are 5 GHz.

edit: I use the Android inSSIDer to find this information on my phone.. I suppose it will tell you it in Windows as well. ;)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!