What's new

RT-AC68U - question to cascading routers and NAT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stefan21

Occasional Visitor
Dear all,

forgive me if my question has already been discussed.

My network-setup looks like this:

---> WAN (cable-DSL) --> AVM-Router 6490 (192.168.168.1) --> RT-AC68U (192.168.168.10 as static WAN-adress) and 192.168.84.1 as LAN-adress.

In the AVM-router the ASUS device is defined as an exposed host, no other clients on this router. In the WAN-connection of the RT-AC68U NAT is enabled. DHCP is disabled. A PI-HOLE is acting as DHCP- and DNS-server in the LAN. A VPN is configured in the RT-AC68U. The VPN is the reason why I'm using thes ASUS device. AFAIK it's impossible to connect to i.e. NORDVPN with the AVM-device.

So far every client in the network connects via VPN and PI-HOLE to the internet and everything works as expected. My ISP is UnityMedia and delivers also IPTV through the DSL-connection.

Now to my question: how do I have to configure the two routers that the clients on the RT-AC68U side (192.168.84.xx) are able to access the AVM-router (192.168.168.1) for connecting to IPTV? The on the AVM-router generated m3u-file for the IPTV looks i.e. like this:

rtsp://192.168.168.1:554/?avm=1&freq=330&bw=8&msys=dvbc&mtype=256qam&sr=6900&specinv=1&pids=0,16,17,18,20,6000,6010,1176,2172,2173,5108,6020,6021,6022,6030,6031,6070

I tried to configure static routes and as a result I have been able to ping from the asus to the avm router. But this is not possible with any client.

The firmware on both routers are up-to-date.

Questions and hints are welcome, I'll try to answer as good as I'm able to.

Thanks in advance,
stefan

I tried to configure static routes and as a result I have been able to ping from the asus to the avm router. But this is not possible with any client.
Don't configure static routes. Normally this wouldn't be necessary at all as the Asus' default route would be sufficient. However, because you're routing all your traffic through the VPN you need to make an exception for traffic destined for the 192.168.168.0 network. Do this using the VPN client's Redirect Internet traffic/Policy Rules. That will create the appropriate static routes and firewall rules.

After you've done that confirm that it's working. You should be able to ping 192.168.168.1 from any client on 192.168.84.x.

I can't really help you with your IPTV problem but check the setting of RTSP Passthrough at WAN > NAT Passthrough.

ColinTaylor,

thank you for your reply.

I created the VPN rule as you suggested, and without changing anything else in the asus configuraion, IPTV is working. Nevertheless I created a static route in the avm router to the subnet of the asus router. I don't know if it's really necessary. I followed the how-to of avm connecting to subnets with two routers.

Thank's again for your help.

Regards,
stefan

Thanks for the update and it's good to hear you got it working.

You shouldn't need the static route on the AVM as everything on the 2nd subnet is being NATed through 192.168.168.10 (and the AVM knows where that is).

However, you would need the static route if you were to turn off the NAT (and firewall) on the Asus. This would be the "traditional way" of connecting two private subnets.