What's new

RT-AC68U Repeater Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fadsarmy

Occasional Visitor
Hello. I only use my RT-AC68U in repeater or media bridge mode. I just updated to the latest firmware (Version 3.0.0.4.384.10007) and repeater mode doesn't work at all. It seems that it doesn't connect to the parent router.

Also, when searching for networks to be extended, only 2.4GHz show up. The 5GHz ones are absent. This has been the case with every firmware up to now but at least before there was a manual setting where I could enter the 5GHz networks manually. The manual setting is no longer present in the latest firmware so I'm stuck to extending only 2.4GHz networks but that doesn't work anyway.

I also had to revert back after updating my RT-AC68U router to the latest firmware. My primary router is the RT-AC86U, and my other router is set to repeater mode in order to share a bunch of usb hard drives.

Something clearly changed as after completing the update, my secondary router would no longer be able to connect to the primary; Note that every is working with my AC86U running (3.0.0.4.384.10007 ), while my AC68U is now back to firmware (3.0.0.4.382.18881 ).

I ended up emailing ASUS and provided some logs, but I doubt that they will look into it. Hopefully the issue is resloved in a future firmware update. The new menu system is great if you are setting up the router on a phone or touch screen, but it lacks options like using a different DNS server from the primary router, and other useful settings.

AiMesh disables all file sharing and management ability on all nodes except for the primary, which defeats the purpose of my secondary router. When I tried AiMesh, I was able to get both routers to connect, so I don't get why repeater mode isn't working properly with the newest firmware.

I also had to revert back after updating my RT-AC68U router to the latest firmware. My primary router is the RT-AC86U, and my other router is set to repeater mode in order to share a bunch of usb hard drives.

Something clearly changed as after completing the update, my secondary router would no longer be able to connect to the primary; Note that every is working with my AC86U running (3.0.0.4.384.10007 ), while my AC68U is now back to firmware (3.0.0.4.382.18881 ).

I ended up emailing ASUS and provided some logs, but I doubt that they will look into it. Hopefully the issue is resloved in a future firmware update. The new menu system is great if you are setting up the router on a phone or touch screen, but it lacks options like using a different DNS server from the primary router, and other useful settings.

AiMesh disables all file sharing and management ability on all nodes except for the primary, which defeats the purpose of my secondary router. When I tried AiMesh, I was able to get both routers to connect, so I don't get why repeater mode isn't working properly with the newest firmware.
Hi SiminiZ,

Are you able to see any 5GHz networks with RT-AC68U firmware 3.0.0.4.382.18881 in repeater mode?

Hi SiminiZ,

Are you able to see any 5GHz networks with RT-AC68U firmware 3.0.0.4.382.18881 in repeater mode?

Yes I can. When I set my AC68U in repeater mode, I use separate SSID's in order to distinguish between the two routers. Right now, I see four wireless networks, single (2.4GHz and 5GHz) from both routers. When I extend my network, I always have my AC68U in repeater mode connect via 5GHz on my AC86U. I also exclusively use 802.11AC, so I never use the 2.4GHz band.

I have no issues connecting to either 5GHz band from my PC using PCE-AC88 adapter, nvidia shield, or my laptop.

Were you able to solve your problem?
Yes, thanks Colin. Now I understand why the 5GHz networks were occasionally visible. The latest firmware doesn't work at all in repeater or media bridge mode, even in the 2.4GHz range. I couldn't try 5GHz because my 5GHz network was not visible and there was no manual setting like there was in the previous firmware. I've gone back to firmware 3.0.0.4.382.18881 for now and sent an email to Asus.

I have experienced the same problem with the 384_10007 firmware for both the AC68U and AC86U. Neither Media Bridge nor Repeater functions work (as in connect once the wizard is completed), when I'm trying to connect to main router AC88U 5GHz on channel 48. The latest 382 firmware works, doesn't matter if the main AC88U is on 382 or 384.

Really odd thing is that the AC86U has auto-firmware update baked in, and when the firmware gets updated automatically, the media bridge mode will work.

Last edited:
I was having the same issue. After days of troubleshooting, I finally tried reverting to:
Version 3.0.0.4.382.18881

This fixed the issue and I could use in repeater mode again pulling from my fios router via wifi and repeating the signal.

Got a reply from Asus to do a firmware restoration to get repeater function to work. Don't know how that's going to help.

New firmware is out and everything seems to be working except there's no manual setting to select networks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!