What's new

RT-AC68U to RT-AX86U Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wouterv

Very Senior Member
Today I replaced the RT-AC68U main router with a RT-AX86U Pro.
There was no need for AX and no need for higher Internet speed (the subscription is 200 /200 Mbps), but after over 6 years of 24/7 service I thought it was time to upgrade.
The RT-AC68U will replace the RT-N66U as spare router.
First glance is that the whole GUI and reboots during configuration changes are fast as lightning, no wonder with the upgrade from a dual to quad core CPU.
Secondly the wireless AC connections at 5 GHz have a higher link rate (the RT-AC1900U Media Bridge now shows a solid 1300 Mbps link rate at -41 dBm and 2x2 devices in the house show a more steady higher link rate).
If you have the budget, it is very worth to no longer buy older AC routers.

The RT-AC68U is >10 years old technology and not a good example of good range AC router. You have skipped an entire generation of AC Wave 2 routers with excellent coverage, some better than many AX models available today. Keep in mind AX 1024-QAM has perhaps shorter range than your old RT-AC68U. Asus doesn't list radio sensitivity in specifications, but some other manufacturers do:

1674601428469.png

Note MCS11 sensitivity drop and the difference between 80MHz and 160MHz wide channel.

The RT-AX86U Pro will be returned, the RT-AC68U is back in service due to issues with 2.4 GHz.
I have to recall my earlier advise and now say: do not buy an AX router as long as you have a mix of AX with AC or N devices (or AC and N only).
See here.

Last edited:
I would expand your advice with "don't count AX capable phones/tablets" when making the upgrade decision.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!