What's new

RT-AC68U USB3 not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gustera

New Around Here
Hi to all,

I have RT-AC68U FW version 384.7_2. I updated it yesterday because I noticed that my USB3 was not detecting any USB drive. Before I was on FW version 384.5 and it was the same. With previous versions it was working with no problems and also in the beginning it was working with 384.5 too.

Any advise is much appreciated.

This issue has been reported before by several others, but unfortunately it's not being acknowledged, so don't hold your breath for a solution. The information provided is confusing, at least. The only thing I can advise you from my own experience is to try switching to USB 2.0 mode and make sure the USB is correctly partitioned. Other than that, not much you can do about it.

How to switch modes:

PFLj4YB.png

Thanks for the quick reply.

I would try that but the usb3 button shows inactive as there is no drive plugged in. I tried today to reset to defaults, but it didn't help. I tried with many flash drives and disks and different file systems but nothing helps. Can someone tell me with what version usb works?

Got the same problem, stop working and never work again. I try anything but it wont detected any hard driver.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I would try that but the usb3 button shows inactive as there is no drive plugged in. I tried today to reset to defaults, but it didn't help. I tried with many flash drives and disks and different file systems but nothing helps. Can someone tell me with what version usb works?

You can use any usb drive with an ext2/3/4 filesystem on it. If you have any usb drive that is recognised, you can switch the mode. What mode is it currently set to?

Thanks M@rco. I finally dig out some old flash drive that got recognized and switched to usb2 as you suggested. Tomorrow will test the performance and try to switch again to usb3.

Hi I also tried several USB 3 drives in USB3.0 mode. Got one old working.
I did this to test if drive would work or not:

I set the USB mode 3.0. plugged in USB 3.0 memory stick. it showed up as mounted. Then reboot router. If it does not automatically mount the USB stick when the router comes back online then you will find that the USB stick is not compatible. Also if it fails to auto-mount after reboot then it wont read from the USB3 port so you need to remove any USB stick and reboot again. Then repet with a new USB stick.

Here's a copy of my syslog: https://files.fm/u/ffg89fpc#/view/syslog.txt

One that worked for me in 3.0 mode

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,445
Don't know if you carefully tried this. While trying with Entware on my usb drive when a usb fan was plugged in USB 2.0 port, I got some issues with the drive, and rebooting didn't work for me. Eventually I found this solution:
- turning off the router
- remove/unplug the usb drive
- turn on the router and wait until it fully boot up
- login the webgui, stay at the default Network Map page
- now plug the usb drive in
- wait for some time (maybe 1 minute) and refresh the Network Map page and you'll see your usb drive

Btw, mine is Sandisk Ultra Flair 32 GB

Last edited: