What's new

RT-AC68U WIFI issue after new ISP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jaredhill89

New Around Here
Hi! I have a strange issue that neither the ISP or ASUS have been able to solve for me and am looking for help before i purchase a new router.

I have been running a Netgear DM200 in bridge mode to my RT-AC68U for the past three years that has been very stable without issue. I recently decided (much regret) to try to save some dollars and switch to a new ISP and encountered a strange issue where my laptops/GFs iPhone/Xbox/PS5 could connect fine to the new network but anything running android software e.g. galaxy s20, samsung tv, chromecast couldn't connect at all. Thinking it was the new ISP after trying to troubleshoot with them I swapped back to my original ISP in the hopes of fixing the issue but alas it persists.

I have tried:
  • full line disconnection for hours and reconnection
  • factory resets on both modem and router
  • change of SSID on wifi networks
  • phone calls to ISP & ASUS to solve
  • change of channels
  • off/on of airtime fairness
  • upgrade of all firmware
  • hours of Googling without resolution
Anyone have any bright ideas?

Samsung TV and Chromecast are not Android, your problem may be a DNS problem.

It's most likely to be the DM200! The DM200 works much more reliably as a modem/router than just as a bridged modem.
The solution? I really don't know, I picked up a DM200 a few years back, and while it'll work as a modem/router for Vodafone UK, I never could get its bridge mode to function properly on all sites.
I keep meaning to try flashing mine with OpenWRT when I have the time and no one is here to be annoyed if I take the internet down for a while!

You shall try to isolate the problem being in the DM200 / Bridge or in the ISP connection to the RT-AC68.
  1. Connect a client directly to the ISP moded (if possible), if that work or is impossible go to the next step.
  2. Connect only the RT-A68U to the ISP modem and connect a client to the RT-AC68U, if that works go to the next step.
  3. Connect the DM200 as bridge to the RT-AC68U and connect a client to the DM200, see if that works (obviously not).

A few side questions:
  • What firmware do you have in the RT-AC68U?
  • What is the WAN Connection Type set in the RT-AC68U?

If step 2 above fails, I suggest to first upgrade the RT-AC68U to the latest firmware, revert to factory defaults, manual configure the router and test again.

Heads up! Just to refresh my memory I hooked up the DM200 that I have here, got it set up and tested for the old problems - still there.

The DM200 set up is a little weird! You first have to set as a modem router with a single device attached - don't trust it's country/provider settings, many of them are wrong!
Once you have it set up - and it will work perfectly with a single device attached - you have to put it into modem only (bridge mode) AND enable VLAN passthrough! Connect it to your router using the WAN port as you would expect and then use the IPTV settings on the router to set any required VLAN ID!
Having done that it should work - most of the time!

Having done all this, most things work, but not some speed test sites, Google Stadia and BBC iPlayer, also accessing the WEB admin page is iffy!

Drop the Draytek back in, remove the IPTV settings, and everything works fine!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!