What's new

rt-ac68u with strange guest problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ruggb

New Around Here
I went to connect to my 5G_guest1 with my new Roku. It has been running my old one for a few years. It said it had a bad signal so I connected to 2G. I figured it was the distance to router.
Today I tried to connect another new Roku and it would not connect at all. I went to my laptop, all the signals were there and when I tried to connect it, it would not connect either. I am sitting literally under the router, like 4' away. The regular channels are fine. The 2G channels are fine, the 5G_guest 2 & 3 are fine. I turned off WPA2, same. I changed the SSID. it is back. I turned WPA2 back on, no dice. That channel will connect intermittently after I change something. But it shows a full signal on the laptop. I am connected again and it dropped out.

I didn't know the channels were that separated that one could drop out and all the rest are great.

any ideas?

I went to connect to my 5G_guest1 with my new Roku. It has been running my old one for a few years. It said it had a bad signal so I connected to 2G. I figured it was the distance to router.
Today I tried to connect another new Roku and it would not connect at all. I went to my laptop, all the signals were there and when I tried to connect it, it would not connect either. I am sitting literally under the router, like 4' away. The regular channels are fine. The 2G channels are fine, the 5G_guest 2 & 3 are fine. I turned off WPA2, same. I changed the SSID. it is back. I turned WPA2 back on, no dice. That channel will connect intermittently after I change something. But it shows a full signal on the laptop. I am connected again and it dropped out.

I didn't know the channels were that separated that one could drop out and all the rest are great.

any ideas?
Make sure you are using the latest firmware. Try rebooting the router. Try a hard reset of the router... you would have to reconfigure the settings afterwards. From what you have said it sounds like a firmware settings bug or corruption issue. You could try installing RMerlin firmware for your AC68U. If none of the solutions work you could be having a radio that is going bad... you will just have to test and evaluate. You could try contacting Asus support to see if they have any solutions.

In recent years I was having intermittent Wifi range issues... drops at longer distances... etc. with my older AC68P routers but they still worked. I wasn't sure what the cause was but it had become annoying. They didn't have the same problems you seem to be having because they still worked.

You could consider upgrading your router. I like the Asus RT-AX86U... that is what I upgraded to. So far it has been exceptionally reliable and performs great. There are other Asus AX models to consider as your budget affords. You can read and ask questions in the SNB Asus AX forums if you are deciding on what you want. Good luck.

Last edited:
Besides the given suggestions of firmware upgrade, revert to factory defaults and configure only the very minimal required, I suggest what I wrote here:

OK maybe it is totally fried now. It was running. I configured another using the config from it and replaced it. Now, after power down and up again, I can't even log into it.
It boots up with wifi leds, ethernet led, and power. I connect via ethernet and it is identifying but ipconfig returns no gateway address.
I factory reset it and get the same results. sounds like that no internet 5G issue was the tip of the iceberg.
When I do the factory reset the leds flash as expected but nothing when done.

Is there anything I can do b4 the garbage man cometh?

OK maybe it is totally fried now. It was running. I configured another using the config from it and replaced it. Now, after power down and up again, I can't even log into it.
It boots up with wifi leds, ethernet led, and power. I connect via ethernet and it is identifying but ipconfig returns no gateway address.
I factory reset it and get the same results. sounds like that no internet 5G issue was the tip of the iceberg.
When I do the factory reset the leds flash as expected but nothing when done.

Is there anything I can do b4 the garbage man cometh?
It's called a "forced upgrade".

Don't fret... the performance and reliability of the RT-AX86U awaits you! :)

yeah, but..........I'm an engineer, so it is my duty to fix things. You know how that goes.
I actually seem to have it running again. Not sure why - I hate that.
I pulled it out of the case and checked it out. Plugged it in and it started running, sort of. The wifi came back and the ethernet went away.
So I reloaded the f/w 2 or 3 times and it appears to be good all the way around. But, I'm not sure how much I trust it.
I'm getting Google Fiber in a few weeks and it comes with their mesh routers. I'm not sure they will meet my needs, but I will wait.
Worst case, I can use this as a mesh node. If it fails, no big deal.

yeah, but..........I'm an engineer, so it is my duty to fix things. You know how that goes.
I actually seem to have it running again. Not sure why - I hate that.
I pulled it out of the case and checked it out. Plugged it in and it started running, sort of. The wifi came back and the ethernet went away.
So I reloaded the f/w 2 or 3 times and it appears to be good all the way around. But, I'm not sure how much I trust it.
I'm getting Google Fiber in a few weeks and it comes with their mesh routers. I'm not sure they will meet my needs, but I will wait.
Worst case, I can use this as a mesh node. If it fails, no big deal.
Sometimes you kick the tires one more time and the car starts right up. That's just how things work sometimes.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!