What's new

Rt-ac68u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I just sorted this firmware like 4-5 days ago..

Firmware:3.0.0.4.374.37 (Merlin build)

Think it should be the latest.

It isn't. 374.37 was known to have wireless issues on the AC56/AC68, reported on the dedicated thread for that release.

It isn't. 374.37 was known to have wireless issues on the AC56/AC68, reported on the dedicated thread for that release.

Ok I jsut updated to the RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374.38_1 . Just rebooted after update and its working now at least.
But the earlier version started working fine after I locked the wireless devices in a DHCP list. So maybe that was the problem or something...

Anyway , can I have the link to the specific thread u mentioned, to keep track of new updates etc.

Thanks

thanks,

ALso I wonder what happens in the following cases when using the merlin firmware on a asus RT-AC68U router:

If using OpenVPN client on the router, and the VPN goes down, either just for a few seconds or for say an hour. Will my regular internet kick in then and reveal my real IP or will I simply be without internet until the VPN is back online?

Also is there somewhere I can see the log of this VPN connetion activity?

cheers

thanks,

ALso I wonder what happens in the following cases when using the merlin firmware on a asus RT-AC68U router:

If using OpenVPN client on the router, and the VPN goes down, either just for a few seconds or for say an hour. Will my regular internet kick in then and reveal my real IP or will I simply be without internet until the VPN is back online?

Also is there somewhere I can see the log of this VPN connetion activity?

cheers

ANyone knows ? thanks

RT 68u

if i put this router behind a "router with modem" will i get all the benefits of ac68u ? How the performance will be

First, you shouldn't use your email address as your member name (if that is even your real email address).

Secondly, will the RT-AC68U be behind a second router And a modem, or will it be the only router on the network?

The performance and benefits will depend if you can effectively bridge your modem (if needed) and also depend on the specific way you want to use it.

our broadband uses ADSL technology and it needs a modem. I have a belkin router with in built modem at the moment. This router is not good for online gaming. i am planning to disable the wireless capabilities of this router and use ac68u as router.

what i need to know is how this router behaves in this case. will i get all the benefits of ac68u

Again: if you can effectively bridge your modem/router (Belkin), then yes, you'll be able to fully utilize the RT-AC68U router.

Note that putting the RT-AC68U in the 'dmz' zone is not the same thing. Turn 'bridging' on (if possible) or, turn off the Belkin's firewall, NAT and DHCP server at a minimum.

That should get you in the right direction.

our broadband uses ADSL technology and it needs a modem. I have a belkin router with in built modem at the moment. This router is not good for online gaming. i am planning to disable the wireless capabilities of this router and use ac68u as router.

what i need to know is how this router behaves in this case. will i get all the benefits of ac68u

All the benefits of ac68u?? What benefits exactly are you speaking of?? Make a list of all benefits that you are expecting to get from ac68u.

Get your dsl modem with OUT a router.
Your gaming performance is questionable. Are you good at games you play? Do you have good hardware? Good nic? OS? Do you get enough sleep? Do you eat your vitamins?

So make a list what you expect. And no, this router doesnt do magic and wont get you a date.

You need to be a lot more specific with a lot of details.

I have Asus RT-AC68U, firmware RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374.38_2 (Merlin - build) and internet 1000 Mbps in WAN.
It is normal to have CPU - 91 ° C?
thank you

I have Asus RT-AC68U, firmware RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374.38_2 (Merlin - build) and internet 1000 Mbps in WAN.
It is normal to have CPU - 91 ° C?
thank you

Yes, this is considered normal for the SoC's used in these routers.

Running newly obtained RT-AC68R with bootloader version 1.0.1.6 and firmware 3.0.0.4.374_379

I see on the Asus support page two new firmwares:

And also:
ASUS RT-AC68R DDR Configuration Upgrade Tool version 1.0.0.7

From my research, I believe my bootloader is the updated version which already incorporates this DDR upgrade to 666Mhz clock rate.

1) Looking at the Merlin firmware version RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374.38_2, I am wondering if it already incorporates all the changes Asus made in these two new firmwares from their website? Most recent one was released 01/14/14. If so, then I'll flash Merlin without worrying about missing out on new changes in these new stock Asus firmwares.

2) Is the DDR Configuration Upgrade Tool necessary? And would it have any effects if I am to flash Merlin firmware over it? I believe you stated in another thread that your Merlin firmware has an "overclock" feature that would be rendered useless with this DDR Configuration Upgrade Tool.

TYIA
(New to your Merlin firmware...been running TomatoUSB on my old RT-N16 for the longest time but recently noticed some high ping issues/latency/dropped packets. Maybe the radio is dying...so I just picked up a new RT-AC68R from Costco)

EDIT: telnet nvram get clkfreq resulted in: 800,666

Last edited:
374.38_2 is based on the source code of Asus's 374_583, so it has the same level of functionality.

There is no need to upgrade the bootloader if you are already on 1.0.1.6.

374.38_2 is based on the source code of Asus's 374_583, so it has the same level of functionality.

There is no need to upgrade the bootloader if you are already on 1.0.1.6.

Ah ok. I was just confused because the read me states:

"based on RT-N66U 3.0.0.4.374_2078 sources (unreleased) from Asus"

With no mention of Asus's 374_583

Thank you!

Ah ok. I was just confused because the read me states:

"based on RT-N66U 3.0.0.4.374_2078 sources (unreleased) from Asus"

With no mention of Asus's 374_583

Thank you!

It's the same code as 374_583, except that 2078 was slightly newer (there was 2-3 additional code changes over 583).

I just bought the AC-68r off Craigslist. I'm really happy with it except lan transfer speeds, which are not only slow but rather odd. Wan throughput maxes out at 30 Mbps for all devices
Samsung S3 on both 5ghz and 2.4 ghz to USB in router is about 16 Mbps for read write. (2 megabytes per second)
S3 to windows 7 laptop using a gigabit connection is only 8 Mbps read/write.
Laptop to USB is 104 Mbps read, 40 Mbps write.
I updated my firm to the latest none beta version xxx.2034 or whatever as well as to the latest Merlin build xxx.374.38.2. I also reset the router to factory settings after each flash.

Is there anything else I can try or might I have a faulty router?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

DeucesAx, what seems to be the issue?

Considering the clients you're using the speeds are in the expected range.

I've been trying to search with little luck, but I am debating between purchasing a R7000 or AC68U today. Plan on hooking up a 3.0 HD for storage and media streaming (hopefully DLNA to XBox One, any experiencne with that or other streaming?) and also would love to use my client VPN with it. I can't seem to find anything to specific on client VPN use, or which specific VPN would work (HideMyA$$ has instructions with Merlin firmware, but nothing specific for AC68U). I currently use IPVanish and PrivateInternetAccess, but would gladly switch for client OpenVPN support on the router. Any help at all would be much appreciated, I would definitely like to order today so Amazon Prime can get it here by Wednesday. Thanks for any help.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!