What's new

Rt-ac68u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Really? I wasn't aware that phones were inherently slower and was expecting > 20 megabytes / s speeds. I'm especially disappointed with phone to laptop.
Thanks anyhow, I guess I can stop experimenting.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Really? I wasn't aware that phones were inherently slower and was expecting > 20 megabytes / s speeds. I'm especially disappointed with phone to laptop.
Thanks anyhow, I guess I can stop experimenting.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

See from post 4 down.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?p=101328#post101328

Phones, tablets and anything 'small' is not really setup for best WiFi speeds or reception.

Hopefully; newer devices get better as time goes on.

A very weird experience yesterday: my laptop connected on 5GHz, throughput extremely low! Maximum 500kbps in LAN! My Nexus 5 was connected on 2.4GHz instead of 5GHz (different SSIDs). Tried to connect phone on 5GHz SSID - no way! It refuse to!
On 2.4GHz all was working as expected. Both LAN and WAN speed normal.

My first idea was to reload the router. Rather, I choose to force a restart of 5GHz interface by increasing the power. Increase to 120mW->radio restart->phone could connect to 5GHz, laptop speed back to normal. Decrease the power back to 100mW->radio restart->phone on 5GHz ok, laptop speed ok.

Strange. No clear explanation, no strange logs. Those are the only equipments capable of 5GHz. In the router wireless log I saw no other client connected to 5GHz.

My conclusion: Asus firmware for 68u is definitely work in progress. So patience for now...it may take a while to have a stable router+wireless device. I don't use Samba and Media Server capabilities from the router and I don't care at all about other services built in...But I have to wait until the firmware will be stable.

With the last Merlin firmware (374.38_2) I've connected an external HDD trough USB 3.0 and I obtained an media server . I started the Bittorrent and after approx. 30 minuts I can't access 'user web interface' , but the router worked perfectly . I hope this information to be helpfull by update of the next firmware .

thanks

With the last Merlin firmware (374.38_2) I've connected an external HDD trough USB 3.0 and I obtained an media server . I started the Bittorrent and after approx. 30 minuts I can't access 'user web interface' , but the router worked perfectly . I hope this information to be helpfull by update of the next firmware .

thanks

You are probably exhausting your router's memory if this happens after a while. Monitor the System Log as well as the free memory under Tools -> Sysinfo.

You are probably exhausting your router's memory if this happens after a while. Monitor the System Log as well as the free memory under Tools -> Sysinfo.

Probably at my wan internet speed ( 940 Mbps ) it is to wait the memory wheakness :)
I'm at work now ... I have to test tomorrow.

Last edited:

I retested ... the problem appeared again

everything was working fine here. I jsut tried to setup a FTP though and went to router settings to portforward a FTP server. When I hit appoly it goes through 1-100% to add the setting. Then Boom.. Cant acess router page:

Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC68U.
To access the settings of RT-AC68U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number.

now I dont even know how to reach the router.. Im connected to it through cable so Im not on wifi here..
what do I do ??

so weird...
Suddenly it started to work today.. Same ip and everything.. I acess the router and go in and open another port..

Now exactly the same thing happens.. same message.. so now cant acess router again.. wtf is wrong here?

AC68 not accessable

Thanks - and I am disappointed in ASUS to tell the truth... they better have a very good reason to choose lower clocks for memory.

For owners of AC68: if you are are not interested in overclocking your router (mainly CPU), you still can squeeze more performance out it by setting memory to run at 800MHz (real speed 1600):

$ nvram set clkfreq=800,800
$ nvram commit && reboot

These commands will keep the CPU (and thermals) at stock level, while forcing memory from 533 to 800 - in theory, should not impact thermals as no additional voltage is needed (or possible)

(P.S. You should be able to achieve 1200Mhz on CPU with active cooling - i.e. 1200/800)

WARNING: attempts to set clocks outside of manufacturer setting may result in bricking of your router. See AC56U overclocking thread - we already have one case...

After this change my Router AC68u inaccessible.
Only the powe LED on the front lights

I have tried to reset the router but has not helped.

How can I fix this again?

After this change my Router AC68u inaccessible.
Only the powe LED on the front lights

I have tried to reset the router but has not helped.

How can I fix this again?

the thing is you need to test the overclock, if you blindly commit to a overclock that will kill the system then commit it to nvram you may have your created a doorstop out of a once working router.

AC68 not accessable

Thanks for the message.

I tried this:

$ nvram set clkfreq=800,800
$ nvram commit && reboot

Should the router back to Asus?

Had the same problem

Unfortunately, the firmware restoration tool has not helped. :rolleyes:
I can not put the router into rescue mode.

The Wireless router is not in rescue mode

I have followed the instructions from the link bellow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIoQ5Qd11pU

Tools:
ASUS RT-AC68U Utility version 4.2.9.2

Hi
had the same problem tried "nvram set clkfreq=800,800"
"commit && reboot"
router was unusable could not get ip from the pc, lan1 led was working, but no ip. manual ip failed also.
the method to enter recovery mode with holding reset failed also.
recovery software didn't recognize the router.
seconds before the router met my HAMMER, tried pressing WPS, saved his life.

this method helped me:
1. disconnect all wires from the AC68U - leaving only the power cable.
2. press the WPS on the side and continue pressing it.
3. unplug the power cable (still pressing the WPS button).
4. wait 3-5 sec and reconnect the power plug (still pressing WPS).
5. wait for anther 20-30 sec will pressing the WPS button, the power led will flash 3 times, the router will reboot, deleting all your configuration and restoring nvram to it's last good configurations.
6. plug a network cable between lan1 and you pc.

If all went well you will get IP from the router.

VERY IMPORTANT YOU HAVE TO KEEP PRESSING THE WPS BUTTON ALL THE STEPS, IF YOU RELEASE IT IN THE MIDDLE IT WILL FAIL AND YOU WILL HAVE TO START FROM STEP 1.

What is the range like on this router? Anyone with a 2 story home that gets great reception upstairs to a room furthest away from the router on the 5GHz band?

What is the range like on this router? Anyone with a 2 story home that gets great reception upstairs to a room furthest away from the router on the 5GHz band?

From my experience, on the second floor I can still max my cable connection (115/5) with an Intel 7260 (@526Mbit link speed) and with a BCM4352 (@866.5Mbit link speed) but I assume the latter is thanks to a little 'broadcom magic' :rolleyes:

All in all its a great router and probably the best on the market at the moment.

Hi guys,

Probably what I'm going to write has been asked and discussed before, but I couldn't find it. So, does the AC68U have the 2.4GHz antennas printed on the PCB just like AC56U has?

Almost two weeks ago I bought an AC56U to replace the fairly old N53U. After installing it I was surprised to see that the 2.4GHz signal levels were worse than the N53U ones. In my bedroom, about 10 - 13m away and 2 walls in between, signal levels are 7 to 10db lower than on N53U. This means that phones with small antennas can't connect. After researching a bit I found out about that interference issue with USB 3.0, and switched that flag on/off without any improvement...maybe because I don't have anything connected to the USB 3.0 port.

Today is our local version of "Black Friday", so I ordered an AC68U at a reasonable price hoping that the 2.4GHz levels will improve. Reviews on SNB aren't positive when it comes to the 2.4GHz band, but I'm hoping those will be at the same levels as N53U. Does anybody have any idea?

Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!