What's new

Rt-ac68u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pretty standard setup, thought lots of devices connected. AC Bridge connected for my entertainment center as well.

I don't have any issues with 5GHz, just 2.4GHz.
I have found on 2.4GHz I get better transmission with Tx Bursting disabled, Reducing USB3 Interference disabled, but nowhere near as good as my old reliable RT-N66U.
I was getting complete internet disconnections on 5GHz with the previous Asus firmware but since 291 that has stopped.

try setting your dhcp query frequency under your WAN-Internet Connection setup to Normal Mode.

Worked for me...

I did this, and disabled b/g protection on the 2.4 Ghz tab and I've been 15 hours without a problem so far. Everything is staying connected. Could be coincidence so I'll keep monitoring.

Mike

I am on stock firmware and had no issues until this morning when my Vonage and ooma phones both on wired connections stopped working. All other devices on wired and wireless connected to the router are working fine. Can somebody please help?

I am on stock firmware and had no issues until this morning when my Vonage and ooma phones both on wired connections stopped working. All other devices on wired and wireless connected to the router are working fine. Can somebody please help?

You may want to get the latest firmware and see if it resolve the issue.

I assume you've tried powering everything including your modem off and then powered back up in the proper sequence, starting with your modem? Also, Vonage will tell you that their device needs to hang right off the back of the modem and then the router plugs into the Vonage device. I wouldn't recommend doing it that way because your router knows how to manage traffic better than the Vonage device. I always plug the Vonage device into the router... not the router into the Vonage device.

Mike

I assume you've tried powering everything including your modem off and then powered backrouter c up in the proper sequence, starting with your modem? Also, Vonage will tell you that their device needs to hang right off the back of the modem and then the router plugs into the Vonage device. I wouldn't recommend doing it that way because your router knows how to manage traffic better than the Vonage device. I always plug the Vonage device into the router... not the router into the Vonage device.

Mike

That is correct. I already tried powering down all of them and start them back in the right order (modem-> router -> Vonage ) . I have an unmanaged switch between router and Vonage adapter which should be ok as I had the same setup for years now even with this router for 3 weeks now

Can somebody please help me resolve this issue? I switched back to my old n66u router and looks like anything connected to my Cisco se2800 switch are no longer working.

I did this, and disabled b/g protection on the 2.4 Ghz tab and I've been 15 hours without a problem so far. Everything is staying connected. Could be coincidence so I'll keep monitoring.

Mike

Oh well, spoke too soon. One of the cameras (it's always random which one) lost connection during the day today. Couldn't make it 24 hours connected. Had to unplug it and plug it back in. Strange thing is the 2.4 signal it uses is very strong. It just seems to lose that connection randomly. I wish we knew whether this problem is suspected to be hardware or not because I just bought this thing last week and I'm seriously considering taking it back to Best Buy as a return and buying the Netgear R7000.

Mike

try setting your dhcp query frequency under your WAN-Internet Connection setup to Normal Mode.

Worked for me...

I tried that,no dice
only firmware that works so far is 205 and 158
haven't tried merlins yet

205 is a good firmware. just like when using it a week ago, the UI is fast and responsive, i can torrent and game with no issues, webpages load very quick.

now to continue stability testing beyond the 7 or 10 days i ran it last week.

I gotta say, I'm done now. My phone keeps jumping off the 5Ghz network back to the 2.4 so I told it to forget the 2.4. Now it keeps bumping off the 5Ghz network randomly and the phone says "authentication error". I've never had these problems with any router bfore. This one's going back to Best Buy tomorrow and I'm just going to get a Netgear R7000. Done playing games with this one. Either Asus has hardware issues with this model or they are taking stabs in the dark trying to get the firmware to work using trial and error. Either way, I don't need something that unreliable on my network.

Mike

I gotta say, I'm done now. My phone keeps jumping off the 5Ghz network back to the 2.4 so I told it to forget the 2.4. Now it keeps bumping off the 5Ghz network randomly and the phone says "authentication error". I've never had these problems with any router bfore. This one's going back to Best Buy tomorrow and I'm just going to get a Netgear R7000. Done playing games with this one. Either Asus has hardware issues with this model or they are taking stabs in the dark trying to get the firmware to work using trial and error. Either way, I don't need something that unreliable on my network.

Mike

just FYI, DDRWT will release FW for R7000 this week.

Mike

Sometimes you need to have some patience to get to the good part. Do you have a backup router that you can use for a while? The firmware for both the R7000 and RT-AC68U is new. It's going to take a while to get to prime time for both of these new routers.

Just my opinion, drawing on personal experience.

Note that I'm not defending releasing products before they're fully tested and ready *smile*.

Last edited:
For sure you won't like R7000 stock FW (unless you like DDWRT setup), I had R7000 for 3 days or so , then I switched to AC68R. I have my N56U as my backup router, so I could switch back to N56u if there is a recall for replacement.

It's going to take a while to get to prime time for both of these new routers.

This.

If stability is what you are after, then you should never buy a new product that was just released, and go with a more mature product instead. There is a reason why corporate products often tend to use technologies that are older than what is sold to home consumers. These days, be it with hardware or software, companies tend to ship products that are so complex that they can't fully test them in lab setups. It takes real world scenarios to shake down the last remaining kinks, and then to fix these through firmware updates.

With routers this is even more true, due to their need to interoperate with an insane amount of environments and client configurations.

I expect the R7000 to also have its own share of issues while the firmware matures.

This.

If stability is what you are after, then you should never buy a new product that was just released, and go with a more mature product instead. There is a reason why corporate products often tend to use technologies that are older than what is sold to home consumers. These days, be it with hardware or software, companies tend to ship products that are so complex that they can't fully test them in lab setups. It takes real world scenarios to shake down the last remaining kinks, and then to fix these through firmware updates.

With routers this is even more true, due to their need to interoperate with an insane amount of environments and client configurations.

I expect the R7000 to also have its own share of issues while the firmware matures.

I understand what you are saying and don't disagree. I'm an Android developer and I've corrected my fair share of bugs that make it through final testing and into smart phones so I'm familiar with this. Having said that, this is the first product I've purchased where I've seen so many errors in basic functionality. Usually the bugs are limited to esoteric setups, buried features, or less used functions rather than basic connectivity issues. Even in rare instances when I've seen those, they're normally corrected very quickly and fixing one of them doesn't create two new problems.

One of the reasons I got the AC68 was that Asus can't seem to figure out how to fix the broken 2.4 Ghz signal level on the N66U for SDK6 and I wanted that SDK6 speed and efficiency and still have my 2.4 signal levels and no broken Tx power setting. My mistake was figuring the AC68 would give me that since the AC66 didn't have those problems. I now realize that logic was flawed. Anyway, based on the Amazon and Best Buy reviews, people seem to be having far fewer problems with the R7000 and their devices can at least connect with a stable WiFi connection so I'll take my chances with that one. With Asus breaking 2.4 Ghz with their latest 2 firmwares on the N66U and me purchasing this AC68 to have even more problems, I'll go back to Netgear for a while.

Mike

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!