What's new

Release RT-AC86U 11th January 2021 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.41634

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi all,
this issue with CPU temperature is very annoying, I really don't understand how can be possible that Asus try to fix a problem burning the CPU.

Really disappointed... is there a way to set the values of pwr config --wait and --eee to on and let them survive to the reboot of the router?

Thanks.

Bye.

Last edited:
Can anyone please decode this for me? Keeps on repeating....
Jan 12 11:25:35 modprobe: module ip6t_REJECT not found in modules.dep
Jan 12 11:25:35 modprobe: module ip6t_ROUTE not found in modules.dep
Jan 12 11:25:35 modprobe: module ip6t_LOG not found in modules.dep

(I also have a new one-hour time error issue, but can live with that - the old settings for Melbourne no longer work and any amount of fiddling can't get the extra hour back for me)

Can anyone please decode this for me? Keeps on repeating....
Jan 12 11:25:35 modprobe: module ip6t_REJECT not found in modules.dep
Jan 12 11:25:35 modprobe: module ip6t_ROUTE not found in modules.dep
Jan 12 11:25:35 modprobe: module ip6t_LOG not found in modules.dep

(I also have a new one-hour time error issue, but can live with that - the old settings for Melbourne no longer work and any amount of fiddling can't get the extra hour back for me)
These are usually harmless messages because the modules are already built-in to the kernel (Or something like that). Not a concern for normal operation.

sure it's early but i'm not seeing a fix for the guest 2.4 node which started on the last release. also, i'm quickly getting the sense this may be a release to pass by.
i have a weather station on the guest node that hasn't been able to keep good time since the last upgrade. had to move it to logical port/section 2 on the ui cause the first port stopped working post upgrade. not a biggie though, as it seems to work "well enough." will stay tuned to see where all this goes.
btw, after reading the cpu-wait comments, i still have no clue what that's all about.

:) happy new year, guys!

Hi all,
this issue with CPU temperature is very annoying, I really don't understand how can be possible that Asus try to fix a problem burning the CPU.

Really disappointed... is there a way to set the values of pwr config --wait and --eee to on and let them survive to the reboot of the router?

Thanks.

Bye.
Wait till all the Maha Gurus on internet tell you it's fine. Even if it is egg boiling 100° C, it's still fine according to them. I have been running my AX88U with cpuwait on since 1 year with no side effects whatsoever. I also have a fan beneath it and it settles at a chilling 45° C here. So take your call.

Wait till all the Maha Gurus on internet tell you it's fine. Even if it is egg boiling 100° C, it's still fine according to them. I have been running my AX88U with cpuwait on since 1 year with no side effects whatsoever. I also have a fan beneath it and it settles at a chilling 45° C here. So take your call.

I agree, it seems that they don't completely understand the implications of a CPU running near to 100° C for a long time.

I also had my RT-AC86U running smoothly for years with cpuwait on, so I truly don't understand what Asus is trying to fix in that way.

Anyway, do you know if there is a way to permanently set the cpuwait to on on this new stock firmware?

Thanks.

Bye.

I agree, it seems that they don't completely understand the implications of a CPU running near to 100° C for a long time.

I also had my RT-AC86U running smoothly for years with cpuwait on, so I truly don't understand what Asus is trying to fix in that way.

Anyway, do you know if there is a way to permanently set the cpuwait to on on this new stock firmware?

Thanks.

Bye.
They think probably no one will notice the change because stock firmware do not show temperature in any way unless they ssh into their router.
So... I am starting to become unsure about this.
Our hope is on Merlin.

Last edited:
@ASUSWRT_2020

Can you please investigate and fix/explain, as to why the nodes are sending queries to dns.msftncsi.com every 60 seconds. This behaviour does not occur in any Merlin firmware, with my identical setup.

This still occurs with the/this current/new public firmware release, as tested. Your 386 RC firmware also exhibits the same.

Merlin firmware is by far superior, concerning DNS options, when will ASUS catch-up, by adopting some of these already proved/tested, working features into your own firmware?

Have returned back to Merlin firmware, thousands of queries over a day is not acceptable (x3 nodes), my Windows 10 PC doesn't even behave that way.

I have tried the usual tricks under administration, network monitoring, they don't work, the nodes still continue to query dns.msftncsi.com.

My current setup is as per my signature.

Last edited:
try
Code:
 pwr config --cpuwait on

You may also try rest of pwr command features

Code:
Usage: pwr start
       pwr stop
       pwr config ...
                 [--wait on|off]             : keeps CPU in sleep state without spinning
                 [--ethapd on|off]           : Ethernet Auto Power Down Enable
                 [--eee    on|off]           : Energy Efficient Ethernet Enable (all ports)
                 [--dgm on|off]              : Switch Deep Green Mode Enable
       pwr show
       pwr help

My router (enviroment temp is 23-24 degree)

The PWR Config commands work perfectly. Is there a way to save them permanently?

Hi - arrived here after googling the new firmware. Thought you might be interested in my temps following firmware update. The second two are when streaming HD movie. I'm completely new to this so just putting this here in case it's helpful to anyone.

w@RT-AC86U-CCB8:/tmp/home/root# pwr show

Power Management Configuration
Functional Block Status
CPU Wait DISABLED
Ethernet Auto Power Down ENABLED
Energy Efficient Ethernet DISABLED
Switch Deep Green Mode ENABLED (status:Deactivated)
w@RT-AC86U-CCB8:/tmp/home/root# cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone*/temp

The PWR Config commands work perfectly. Is there a way to save them permanently?
Yes. But you will need a USB drive of some sort inserted to trigger the process. (There may be another way, too)

Enable SSH access LAN only.
In a terminal (Putty is great for this) log into your router
You will use the VI editor to create a file and enter contents

vi /jffs/post-mount (Enter)

Enter insert mode by pressing i then Enter

#!/bin/sh
pwr config --wait on

Then type :wq to save and exit VI

Set permissions in the file

chmod 755 /jffs/post-mount

Next enter the NVRAM edit

nvram set script_usbmount="/jffs/post-mount"

nvram commit

That's it. When you insert a USB drive the post-mount script will run. This was originally intended to mount a swap file which may be a good idea if you use Samba.

To make a swap file on a thumb drive

Run these commands to make a 512 MB swap file on the USB drive labeled 32GB (Use the label of your thumb drive)

dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/mnt/32GB/myswap.swp bs=1k count=524288

mkswap /tmp/mnt/32GB/myswap.swp

swapon /tmp/mnt/32GB/myswap.swp

Then the post-mount file contents will look like

#!/bin/sh
swapon /tmp/mnt/32GB/myswap.swp
pwr config --cpuwait on

Last edited:
pwr config --cpuwait on

I would use the AC86U pwr command according to its usage:

pwr config --wait on

Usage:
pwr start
pwr stop
pwr config ...
[--wait on|off] : keeps CPU in sleep state without spinning
[--ethapd on|off] : Ethernet Auto Power Down Enable
[--eee on|off] : Energy Efficient Ethernet Enable (all ports)
[--dgm on|off] : Switch Deep Green Mode Enable
pwr show
pwr help

OE

I have swapped my 2xRT-AC86U routers around and the root node continues to show CPU temp in the upper 80s. So, I'm not inclined to investigate any heatsinks.

I did not measure CPU temp prior to this firmware, so that remains unknown.

OE

So, what's the consensus here, is it worth to upgrade to 386 branch? I'm still running 384.82072, not using AiMesh (and don't plan using it).

So, what's the consensus here, is it worth to upgrade to 386 branch? I'm still running 384.82072, not using AiMesh (and don't plan using it).

What do you value?

OE

Stability first, functionality second.. although I'm tempted by 386, as it (finally) got separate IP range for guest network.

Stability first, functionality second.. although I'm tempted by 386, as it (finally) got separate IP range for guest network.

This latest released firmware is stable here as I use it and offers more function and security than the previous release. It does appear to increase the CPU performance and operating temperature, which may or may not matter. Unless I know otherwise, I'm inclined to defer to Asus' choice in the matter.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!