What's new

RT-AC86U 2.4Ghz Can't Connect

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JustinB181

New Around Here
I just setup a new RT-AC86U, initial setup everything was working including the 2.4Ghz band. I left for a few hours come home and update the firmware to the newest ASUS firmware (kicking myself for this) and now the 2.4Ghz band is not connecting. I can see the band, everything looks correct in the set up.

I have done all the recommendations i found on the forum such as disabling Beamforming, setting to 20hz, channel 6...

I can see the 2.4 SSID as well as the 5Ghz (which is working perfectly). When trying to connect to the 2.4 ssid it says that the network key is incorrect from a pc, or invalid password from other devices.

I have flashed numerous different firmware versions including a few of merlins. I always did the factory reset or initialize after each flash and reset up the router.

Is there anything I am missing or should I just send it back for another one???

Last edited:
Change to a new simple SSID and set to open Wifi mode only for testing.
Delete connections on PC and make a completely new connection.

Change to a new simple SSID and set to open Wifi mode only for testing.
Delete connections on PC and make a completely new connection.

Well, it is an issue with the 2.4 band. Opening it up, it still will not connect to the 2.4 band. Seems to be a hardware issue, but its coincidental that it occurred a little after updating the firmware.

I had an identical problem with a client's RT-AC86U, unfortunately after the close of the Amazon return period. Clients usually can't connect at all, occasionally seem to connect but then can't access anything, just on the 2.4 GHz. I tried factory resets and changed firmware between ASUS and Merlin, ran it with three different client devices and in two different locations. I'm now locked inside ASUS Customer Service Hell, with daily emails (each with a new case number), and instructions to run yet more diagnostic tests to try and show that the problem isn't with their hardware. If I was being paid by the hour this would have already exceeded the cost of a new router -- I'm eating it because I recommended this router to the client. I assume at some point they'll relent and have me send it back, hopefully to have the problem resolved over a matter of just a few weeks and not costing me too much more time... Does Netgear have better service when their hardware is faulty?

I'm also getting the same problem. I got the router last week. WiFi seemed to be working well till 2 days ago. I came home to find all the devices using 2.4ghz are no longer connecting to the router and I can't even see the network when I scan on my phone. 5ghz ones were fine. Tried rebooting the router without success. I finally fixed the problem when I factory reset the router. I came home again today and nothing is connected. That's twice in three days. I'm not sure if this is software or hardware related as I only got the router last week and the router forced you to update to the lastest firmware at the setup stage. Would it be wise to send this back as I'm within my 30 day return period?

Just reset the router and 2.4GHZ no longer works. Tried it with stock and merlin firmware. I'll be sending this back to amazon for a replacement. Seems like the 2.4ghz radio has failed. I have read a few more posts about this problem . I hope it's not a common fault :(

Last edited:
There are quite a number of amazon reviews complaining of 2.4GHz radio failure on the Asus RT-AC86U. I just purchased a Netgear R7800 to replace a RT-N66U. I was thinking of returning the R7800 because I can't find support for smb v1 nor am I jazzed about Netgear's UI. I'm using Voxel firmware on the R7800 and it's been stable so far. I've been very happy with my old RT-N66U but the negative reviews on the RT-AC86U are keeping me from ordering it. Kind of a shame because it seems like a great router when it's working properly.

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-band-Du...recent&pageNumber=1&formatType=current_format

Last edited:
Wow I have the same problem and its only been 2 weeks since purchase, yesterday everything was fine today I dont even see the 2.4ghz channel. On the setup page it shows half a wifi signal, and on the 2.4ghz settings I can set the channel etc but to no vail. It doesnt show on any of my radar apps nor devices

Oh Dear I just bought this router today on sale. Is this a quality control issue or design flaw?

If your router works, it's a non-issue.

OE

Only had mine for a month, but it works great. Didn't know the 2.4 issue even existed. Because there's so much congestion in my area I leave it off, but I checked it and it cycles fine. Only issue I may have is that AI Protection never shows a hit from anything, my old 56u had lots of hits. But thats another thread.

Last edited:
After ~6 weeks, my 2.4GHz band went out tonight (posted about it in another thread). I'm still within the Amazon return period, so the replacement will be here WED.

Some of you might want to take a look at https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-clients-after-2-4-days-merlin-384-8_2.54617/. It's plausible that a single device on someone's LAN could be causing some sort of conflict. I just wish I knew why.

I'm trying a second RT-AC86U with the same issue within the first week of buying one. This doesn't seem like a hardware failure in my case though. 2.4 signal strength is fine. All devices can see it. When the problem happened recently, during troubleshooting I unplugged my Ecobee 3 from the wall and plugged it back in. Suddenly all 2.4Ghz clients reconnected without having to reboot the router, but I have no idea why. I don't want to disconnect and reconnect my thermostat every 2 to 4 days. I didn't have to with other routers.

Last edited:
I just setup a new RT-AC86U, initial setup everything was working including the 2.4Ghz band. I left for a few hours come home and update the firmware to the newest ASUS firmware (kicking myself for this)

What firmware version worked?

AsusWRT-Merlin 384.8_2 RT-AC86U
What worked for me was to change some settings in the wireless -> professional menu.
Disable:
Enable WMM APSD
Optimize AMPDU aggregation
AMPDU RTS
Enable TX Bursting

Is what I wound up with. But I didn't try them one at a time. I suspect the part about AMPDU is what confused my IOT devices. My phone and computer was fine with it though. I also have not enabled AI protection, QOS, or Game boost. My interest in this Router was due to my NetGear 7000 with DD_WRT code was sadly anemic with OpenVPN.

Last edited:
Another user here chiming in that the 2.4Ghz band seems to be a huge issue on the RT-AC86U . I have the device now for three weeks. Immediately upgraded to AsusWRT-Merlin 384.8_2 RT-AC86U . Also tried the latest official Asus firmware (RT-AC86U_3.0.0.4_384_45149-g467037b_cferom_ubi.w). And have been playing with all the settings for ages. Turning stuff on and off.. and on and off.. Resetting to factory defaults etc
Nothing works.

My macbook can't connect to the 2.4GHz network at all. And some devices can connect, but are unreachable by other devices on the network. A HP Envy (windows 10) can connect to the 2.4GHz network but reports no internet and cant reach to any netwrokdevices.

Another user here chiming in that the 2.4Ghz band seems to be a huge issue on the RT-AC86U . I have the device now for three weeks. Immediately upgraded to AsusWRT-Merlin 384.8_2 RT-AC86U . Also tried the latest official Asus firmware (RT-AC86U_3.0.0.4_384_45149-g467037b_cferom_ubi.w). And have been playing with all the settings for ages. Turning stuff on and off.. and on and off.. Resetting to factory defaults etc
Nothing works.

My macbook can't connect to the 2.4GHz network at all. And some devices can connect, but are unreachable by other devices on the network. A HP Envy (windows 10) can connect to the 2.4GHz network but reports no internet and cant reach to any netwrokdevices.

So return it as defective! If you have so many devices unable to use the router, why keep playing with it? You must know what you are doing if you are installing third-party firmware, so call it defective and get another one that works like it should. And add your clients back one at a time in case one is defeating your network.

I've deployed six 86Us and none of them have a 2.4 GHz band issue. I setup the WiFi and the devices connect. Done. WiFi doesn't require playing with all of the settings.

OE

Last edited:
Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!