What's new

RT-AC86U 5Ghz issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vezeil

New Around Here
So i got my new ac86u today, installed it changed some settings and stuff, everything worked fine for 1 hour i did a speedtest on my phone to check the 5ghz and the result was 0mbps, after 10 minutes it kicked me from the 5ghz and from then i can't connect to it, i tried a factory reset, updating the firmware but nothing works.

I did google the problem and i found some threads from here with the same problem, is the only thing i have left to do is get a replacement or there is some solution to it.

So i got my new ac86u today, installed it changed some settings and stuff, everything worked fine for 1 hour i did a speedtest on my phone to check the 5ghz and the result was 0mbps, after 10 minutes it kicked me from the 5ghz and from then i can't connect to it, i tried a factory reset, updating the firmware but nothing works.

I did google the problem and i found some threads from here with the same problem, is the only thing i have left to do is get a replacement or there is some solution to it.

Make sure the WiFi switch is ON; try with another wireless client; otherwise, exchange it for a new one.

OE

Well now even the 5ghz LED doesn't work. smh
0198b97b48ea89b913befe1bf3d5bada.png

39d495458d6cff275d10e4e7848083b9.png

??
where are the channels what.
Radio is enabled

Last edited:
When it's showing channel 0 that usually means a hardware failure of the radio. The unit needs to be replaced.

You could try completely removing the power for 60 seconds and then plugging it back in and seeing if the fault corrects itself. Otherwise you're SOL.

You may want to try the following steps before considering an RMA.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ax88-packet-loss.62891/#post-563326

Follow the above with the M&M Config guide and ideally the Nuclear Reset guide too which can be found in the link in my signature below. :)

I'll give it a try but first i have some update.

I unplugged the router from everything and let it rest for like 10 minutes, turned it on and pressed the reset button behind the router for my surprise the 5ghz LED was on
so i thought great i fixed it but yeah...no.. First the connection to the router site was really really slow and at one point it was just stuck so i rebooted it again, everything went fine
5ghz led is on but sure i still can't connect to it(no matter which channel), the SSID was flashing on and off on my phone.. In the end i was looking at some settings and without changing anything it lagged again...rebooted the router and the 5ghz LED turned off....

I turned it off for another 10min and the 5g LED turned on.... idk man..weird.
So basically when the 5g Led is on i can't connect to it anyways (even if it shows on my phone without disappearing) and when the LED is off the whole router goes boom

Idk i think the router is just broken, I barley touched any settings in my first hour with it and it just went boom.

Last edited:
Idk i think the router is just broken, I barley touched any settings in my first hour with it and it just went boom.
It happens (the same as any product). Better that it happens now so you can get it replaced rather than in 13 months time.

I'll give it a try but first i have some update.

I unplugged the router from everything and let it rest for like 10 minutes, turned it on and pressed the reset button behind the router for my surprise the 5ghz LED was on
so i thought great i fixed it but yeah...no.. First the connection to the router site was really really slow and at one point it was just stuck so i rebooted it again, everything went fine
5ghz led is on but sure i still can't connect to it(no matter which channel), the SSID was flashing on and off on my phone.. In the end i was looking at some settings and without changing anything it lagged again...rebooted the router and the 5ghz LED turned off....

I turned it off for another 10min and the 5g LED turned on.... idk man..weird.
So basically when the 5g Led is on i can't connect to it anyways (even if it shows on my phone without disappearing) and when the LED is off the whole router goes boom

Sill, you should try a factory reset, basic config and reflash the Asus firmware.

Well now even the 5ghz LED doesn't work. smh
0198b97b48ea89b913befe1bf3d5bada.png

39d495458d6cff275d10e4e7848083b9.png

??
where are the channels what.
Radio is enabled

I read somewhere that the 2018 and the earlier models have this issue. What year is your router manufactured in?

I read somewhere that the 2018 and the earlier models have this issue. What year is your router manufactured in?

I just read that somewhere, too! :rolleyes:

OE

Had it off for the entire night, turned it on in the morning managed to connect once got 0.5mbps in speedtest and then after 2minutes it logged me off, 30minutes later 0 channels again so yeah..
talked with asus support on the phone they will look into it.

Last edited:
A number of units manufactured in 2018 had many issues, the most frequent the radios. Short product life by some purchasers was also another complaint. If your unit is still in warranty have ASUS issue an RMA. If you are out of warranty time to buy another router.

Had it off for the entire night, turned it on in the morning managed to connect once got 0.5mbps in speedtest and then after 2minutes it logged me off, 30minutes later 0 channels again so yeah..
talked with asus support on the phone they will look into it.

My RT-AC88U had the same issue, but this was my fault as I increased the transmit power on it to 1 watt, but it didn't give up like yours, It still seems to work but is in bad shape I believe. I believe mine will work for few hours or even mins and will ultimately drop Wifi.

Now the only thing you can do is get a replacement unit, or buy something else. I've had no issues with Netgear R7800 router which I purchased around the year 2016.

It's a solid router, I've flashed Voxel on it many times, but ultimately kept the stock version due to stability.

My RT-AC88U had the same issue, but this was my fault as I increased the transmit power on it to 1 watt, but it didn't give up like yours, It still seems to work but is in bad shape I believe. I believe mine will work for few hours or even mins and will ultimately drop Wifi.

Now the only thing you can do is get a replacement unit, or buy something else. I've had no issues with Netgear R7800 router which I purchased around the year 2016.

It's a solid router, I've flashed Voxel on it many times, but ultimately kept the stock version due to stability.

It seems though that it's only the 5ghz which is broken, the router is running since the morning with good wired/2.4ghz WiFi connection. Waiting for Asus to give me a call tmrw.
I do have a warranty for him so i'll probably get a replacment.

Funny how the 5ghz LED is on even if i turn the leds off with the button.

Last edited:
I noticed yesterday that my 86U is a 2017 model. Apart from brief downtime when doing firmware update reboots, as a rough calculation, it's seen over 26,000 hours of service and counting.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!