What's new

RT-AC86u 5GHz network disappears

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brian6j

New Around Here
Guys,
Looking for help. My asus AC86u, the 5 GHz network on booting up my laptop sometimes is not visible as a network or takes a very long time to be visible. This happens across multiple laptop makers on Windows 11 (New Alienware, Lenovo). When it does find it, strength is good. Other devices, iphone, roku, kindle find it no problem. Tried different channels, no effect. Reboot router sometimes helps. Then other times I boot the laptop it finds and connects automatically to 5Ghz. Drivers and firmware are all up to date. Why can't it see the Network ?, is this a software or hardware issues. Weird it seems confined to laptops/Windows. 2.4Ghz is visible from get go. Tried forgetting the network and reinitializing etc. Does not seem to be a consistent pattern. Power-save is off. SSID is set to broadcast and different name from 2.4 GHz.
/
Brian

Guys,
Looking for help. My asus AC86u, the 5 GHz network on booting up my laptop sometimes is not visible as a network or takes a very long time to be visible. This happens across multiple laptop makers on Windows 11 (New Alienware, Lenovo). When it does find it, strength is good. Other devices, iphone, roku, kindle find it no problem. Tried different channels, no effect. Reboot router sometimes helps. Then other times I boot the laptop it finds and connects automatically to 5Ghz. Drivers and firmware are all up to date. Why can't it see the Network ?, is this a software or hardware issues. Weird it seems confined to laptops/Windows. 2.4Ghz is visible from get go. Tried forgetting the network and reinitializing etc. Does not seem to be a consistent pattern. Power-save is off. SSID is set to broadcast and different name from 2.4 GHz.
/
Brian
Asus or Merlin firmware and what version?

Guys,
/
Brian

If all was working and now is troubled, I would suspect the AC86U... it has a history with failing hardware (2018?). If so, it will likely get worse.

If it is related to the router firmware, you could reinstall the router, starting with a reflash of the current firmware, reset, and configure from scratch. But given the trouble is intermittant, I would suspect the hardware.

You could login to the router webUI and go to this page to check the CPU temp... over 85C is running hot: http://router.asus.com/ajax_coretmp.asp

The above ignores the 'happens on booting the client' observation, mostly because the AC86U has a history.

OE

Yeah, I'm on non DFS channels. Roku cannot see DFS channels. Devil is in the details on that one. Remote interferes with DFS and radar probe channels. On 157.

Try to reset the router to factory default, set it up manually afterwards. If it doesn’t help, I would replace this router. It’s a ticking bomb anyway. Too many issues reported with this model.

Thanks for the help. Will do. Do you think the AX-86U is a good alternate to this or same issues ?.

AX86U is one of the popular models around. There is AX86S model with very close to AC86U specs. It’s cheaper and good AC86U replacement choice. Good for up to Gigabit ISP.

Asus Firmware, running latest. Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.386_48260

It's strange other devices can see it, problem is isolated to laptop connections.

Maybe the laptops have more antennas/streams and/or more clever connection attempts than the lessor clients, and the router is not up to it for some reason.

Incidentally, I upgraded firmware on an AC86U once and the 5GHz signal was not stable. So, I started over, flashed it again, reset, etc. That worked. We don't know your firmware history, so something for you to consider.

OE

Ok, reset firmware with hard reset etc. Little bit more stable but 5 GHz still would disappear from my available list albeit less frequently, less 'errors' in Wifi log. Did upgrade Wifi laptop drivers from intel direct, also, marginal effect. It's weird, since Roku/iphone, and rest can always see it. I did see others have same issue on this forum. Wonder if the 5 GHz is going out or planned obsolescence/firmware bug by ASUS. Tired of restarting router etc. Any-way upgraded to AX86u to future proof. Got the Jaku on sale for $239. On the latter, 5 GHz is stable no issues now. Updated firmware etc. Speed is about same as AC86u, log is much cleaner. Thank-you for the help guys!