What's new

RT-AC86U as VLAN Access Point?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eleVator

Regular Contributor
Dabbling around with a new Opnsense Box.
Added the RT-AC86U (latest fw) as Access Point, everything works.

But i just cannot get it to work in a VLAN, am i right to assume that this Asus Model does not support being AP via VLAN?

This needs Asuswrt-Merlin firmware, custom script and it's model specific configuration.

@slackjaw99 may eventually help you with that. In a long run get proper access points though with native VLAN support.

This needs Asuswrt-Merlin firmware, custom script and it's model specific configuration.

@slackjaw99 may eventually help you with that. In a long run get proper access points though with native VLAN support.
Thanks for the quick reply, i'll try to find an openWRT Box, jsut wanted to make sure that i am not going mad.

i'll try to find an openWRT Box

You don't need OpenWrt box, but business class access point(s) like Omada or UniFi from lower price options. Wi-Fi 5 models start from $60 on sale and all forms ceiling, wall plate, outdoor are available including wireless mesh options, PoE power, etc. Get out of the consumer market.

You don't need OpenWrt box, but business class access point(s) like Omada or UniFi from lower price options. Wi-Fi 5 models start from $60 on sale and all forms ceiling, wall plate, outdoor are available including wireless mesh options, PoE power, etc. Get out of the consumer market.
I do believe i might have an old tplink with openWRT for testing reachable, never used VLAN before and i agree that consumer products are time consuming.
Thanks for the recommendations, will look into these products, just need to connect few raspberrys & phones that are scattered around the House.

Make sure first OPNsense router/firewall is what you want. It may have many features, work on much more capable x86 hardware and show some cool things in GUI, but not as user friendly as home routers. There is no VPN Director or DNS Director - you have to set the rules you need manually.

Make sure first OPNsense router/firewall is what you want. It may have many features, work on much more capable x86 hardware and show some cool things in GUI, but not as user friendly as home routers. There is no VPN Director or DNS Director - you have to set the rules you need manually.
Yes, done that, opnsense offers some nice config options and it is nice to not be bound to the quirks of one vendor.
VPN Director, AMTM and some other scripts are very practical when in need for a quick country switch but there seems to be no way to reliably configure vpn a killswitch, leaks happen during boot and reconnects with the asus devices i had.

Some ideas in this thread:

You can contact @Eric Lieb for information exchange.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac86u-vlan-tagging-with-merlinwrt.84508/ - Figured it out finally and got it working

I am running a PFSense box and a 24 port HP J9803A managed switch. For my setup VLAN 1 is untagged on the port with the AP and VLAN 200 is tagged on that port.
For PFSense setting up VLANs is pretty straight foward https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/vlan/configuration.html that is only to set up the VLANs, then you need to make sure you setup the DHCP server for the interface and firewall rules (disable cross communication between the interfaces if you want to isolate them from each other).

I tried opnsense but had issues with it, PFSense has been solid. My box has realtek NICs so just have to use the updated 198.00_1 kmod drivers

Setting up OpenVPN on PFSense was pretty easy. https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn-privacy/openvpn-server-pfsense/ fairly easy to follow along. The one thing I havent gotten working yet is Wireguard but I also haven't spent much time looking at it.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!