What's new

RT-AC86U best merlin firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

diabolyk

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

On my AC86U i'm on merlin 386.7_2
I'm facing some issues like equipment disconnected...
Also my CPU is Always around 83°C.

So first of all i will replace the thermal pad on CPU and add two 70mm fans.

But which Merlin firmware is the best to have best results ?

I use yazdhcp to extend the DHCP reservation (only addon used), can't use stock firmware.

Thanks.

Last edited:

This beta is better and solve issues with temperature ?
Cause I saw that firmware 386.3_2 IS better than next one, but this last beta is better than 386.3_2 ?

Also when upgrading firmware, I will keep all parameters, yazdhcp addon... ?

Thanks

Nothing will solve temperature “issues” on the AC86U except modifying the heat sink for better contact or using a fan.

This latest Beta is the best firmware to date for the AC86U.

Ok I have seen that temperature is a little better on firmware 386.3_2
So i plan to make thermalpads and fans mod tomorrow.

When upgrading it will keep all parameters and also yazdhcp addon or not ?

Latest beta is better on which elements ?

Thanks

Ok I have seen that temperature is a little better on firmware 386.3_2
So i plan to make thermalpads and fans mod tomorrow.

When upgrading it will keep all parameters and also yazdhcp addon or not ?

Latest beta is better on which elements ?

Thanks
you shouldn't need to open the router up to address thermal pads, just blow some air through the cooling passages to clear out any dust and then add a fan to actively move air through it.

when flashing new firmware, previous settings stay in place...but it never hurts to reset and reconfigure things every so often. In your case, I would suggest doing that before flashing the beta...but go through every menu and screenshot the settings so you can return to where you were to determine if the new firmware is indeed an improvement over the last version.

No issues running latest Merlin FW (over 10 months)..waiting for 386_9 to be released :)

you shouldn't need to open the router up to address thermal pads, just blow some air through the cooling passages to clear out any dust and then add a fan to actively move air through it.

when flashing new firmware, previous settings stay in place...but it never hurts to reset and reconfigure things every so often. In your case, I would suggest doing that before flashing the beta...but go through every menu and screenshot the settings so you can return to where you were to determine if the new firmware is indeed an improvement over the last version.
Why shouldn't change thermal pads ?
Warranty is out, si it will improve temp...

Ok thanks for informations to flash New firmware.

What do you mean by reset ? Make a reset to default in interface before flashing ?
What's the pros doing that ?

Thanks

Why shouldn't change thermal pads ?
Warranty is out, si it will improve temp...

Ok thanks for informations to flash New firmware.

What do you mean by reset ? Make a reset to default in interface before flashing ?
What's the pros doing that ?

Thanks
it's quite a bit of effort to put towards an older piece of equipment, replacing thermal pads. I would just increase airflow.

reset to defaults will force you to re-evaluate each setting as you re-apply them after re-flashing: you may find there are better ways now than than when you first configured it

Ok
But i have this router just from 1 week...
So settings are "fresh" lol

The latest firmware installed on my AC86U (before I sold it a month ago...) with 2 50mm fans was latest 386.7_2.

CPU temperature was around 54C, 2.4 GHZ radio was disabled, 5 GHz radio temp was around 46C.

The latest firmware installed on my AC86U (before I sold it a month ago...) with 2 50mm fans was latest 386.7_2.

CPU temperature was around 54C, 2.4 GHZ radio was disabled, 5 GHz radio temp was around 46C.
Why have you sold it ?

Why have you sold it ?

This router has bad reliability history:

And unresolved software bug, perhaps permanent:

Leaking/drying thermal pads are minor fixable issue. Others common ones are major:

Many folks around SNB Forums have lost one or more AC86Us. Not recommended as second hand purchase. Not recommended as new purchase because Asus have decided to leave it on 386 firmware. No more firmware development, expect only eventual security updates. Unofficial End-Of-Life status.

This router has bad reliability history:

And unresolved software bug, perhaps permanent:

Leaking/drying thermal pads are minor fixable issue. Others common ones are major:

Many folks around SNB Forums have lost one or more AC86Us. Not recommended as second hand purchase. Not recommended as new purchase because Asus have decided to leave it on 386 firmware. No more firmware development, expect only eventual security updates. Unofficial End-Of-Life status.

Ok.
But with modding it with fans it should bé ok for temperature.

And i don't really well understand the software bug you quote ?!? (Sorry i'm frenvh with a poor english... )

RMerlin 386.9 beta is working well in my environment.
I have never experienced any issues with AC86 while running any RMerlin fw!
No Fans and No Mods:
Screenshot 2023-01-06 at 06-47-03 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC86U - System Information.png

I have just change all thermal pads and add 2 fans.
Temperature shut down from 83°C to 42°C

Improvement very good.

Right now I will try to reduce RPM of fans to reduce noise...

I have a question about last update.
I have a yellow "!" on the top of Asus interface and this in firmware update :
IMG_20230107_093826.jpg

What IS this update ?!?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-01-07-09-34-22-369_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-01-07-09-34-22-369_com.android.chrome.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 74
I just tried to install New firmware 386.9 but After charging it in update interface, routeurs reboot but without applying and on previous firmware 386.7_2

An advise on that ?

1. Are you running 20mhz on the 2.4ghz band? If not, this is likely your issue. The default setting is 20/40 Auto, and is known to cause issues.

2. If that doesn't solve it, you need to do a hard reset of the router. https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074

3. If that doesn't solve it, try running installing the official firmware and do a hard reset again. This is to check if it's the Merlin firmware that is causing the problem.

4. If it is not running stable with the official firmware; are you doing any custom settings? Undo them and try again. Perhaps try to go a version back on the official firmware.

Post your result here and we can figure out a way forward.

Last edited:
Ok I can't flash directly ?
Can't keep my settings and yazdhcp addon ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!