What's new

RT-AC86U cannot access Webmin.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BrianWhite

Occasional Visitor
I have a problem with RT-AC86U with Merlin firmware (Not latest, maybe a year old or so).

I couldnt access the webmin, connection timed out, waiting too long. Rebooting does not fix it.
Recovery mode (Reset button until power led flashes) with ASUS Firmware and recovery tool, doesn't access the router, cant find it.
Factory reset (Power button while WPS pressed) has not fixed it.

Internet still works (typing this with it right now) but I am at a loss as to why I cannot access web pages at all.

Are you using router.asus.com? If so try using the IP address instead.

More curious about how is Internet working after you've done hard factory reset on the router... :rolleyes:

Yeah I do not think it is hard resetting either, (Depress WPS while power is applied), because Wireless devices are still connecting to my WPA2 password.

I have tried Router.asus.com and the direct IP 192.168.1.1 (my normal bookmark) are timing out.

I was gonna say because I use webmin to monitor my server which is an app. Wasn't sure if/ how that would run on Asus.

If you do an IPconfig / ifconfig and stick the gateway IP into the browser you should get a login page for the router.

Have you tried on another client device?
On Ethernet, no, the only other Ethernet devices I have are the kids laptop's and they are blocked from the Internet (Unblocked as needed) and with no way to access the Web admin, I cannot unblock them.

While the Laptop's have Wifi as well, Wifi is blocked from accessing Web Admin.

Have you tried on another client device?
On Ethernet, no, the only other Ethernet devices I have are the kids laptop's and they are blocked from the Internet (Unblocked as needed) and with no way to access the Web admin, I cannot unblock them.

While the Laptop's have Wifi as well, Wifi is blocked from accessing Web Admin (so there goes me using my Mobile phone or tablet)

If you haven't blocked your access by accident in Access Restrictions (expecting specific IP), reset the router and see how it goes from there. You don't remember what firmware your router is running. Your router may be hacked. Chances are higher if you had Web access from WAN open.

If you haven't blocked your access by accident in Access Restrictions (expecting specific IP), reset the router and see how it goes from there. You don't remember what firmware your router is running. Your router may be hacked. Chances are higher if you had Web access from WAN open.
I would have locked all that down (Web access from LAN). I have tried the factory reset according to instructions, which is depressing WPS button when powering on and it just boots up as per normal, with all my existing settings. Unless that is not the factory reset method for the 86U

I would try it again but kids are on mum's computer and I would get screamed at if I shut down the router again. (That is all they care about) :(

Hard factory reset for AC86U:

Also, the router has a Reset button at the back.
The Reset button that I know of, is above the power button (Above the power socket) which puts the unit in to Recovery mode (Flashing power led), but the ASUS firmware tools cannot connect to it.

[edit] okay my first issue, the button on the back what I thought was WPS button, was the LED ON AND OFF, didnt know WPS was on the side.
[edit 2] WPS button (on the side ;] ) reset the router, then 192.168.1.1 asked me for new firmware (which I already had Downloaded).

Now to put the latest Merlin's back on :)

[edit 3] Merlins back on, and all is well, now for some mind altering drugs for this Migraine. Thank you for helping me through this insanity :)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!