What's new

RT-AC86U: Devices on Network Map keep vanishing, reappearing...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bentdesigns

New Around Here
I just upgraded from a Linksys router to a ASUS RT-AC86U router and so far so good, except...

When viewing the Network Map my devices (both wired and wireless) keep vanishing and reappearing at random. I understand the Network Map refreshes constantly in your browser so that you can see what devices are joining and leaving the network, but why are my devices vanishing and reappearing at random from the list when they are clearly still connected to the network? This makes the Network Map a totally useless feature.

Does anyone know why this occurs, and/or if a setting can be tweaked to prevent this?

I haven't really tweaked much in terms of settings, it's a pretty standard setup (broadcasting my SSIDs, passwords established, no MAC filtering or manual IP assignments). I have the latest firmware installed.

ASUS customer service was clueless on the matter.

I just upgraded from a Linksys router to a ASUS RT-AC86U router and so far so good, except...

When viewing the Network Map my devices (both wired and wireless) keep vanishing and reappearing at random. I understand the Network Map refreshes constantly in your browser so that you can see what devices are joining and leaving the network, but why are my devices vanishing and reappearing at random from the list when they are clearly still connected to the network? This makes the Network Map a totally useless feature.

Does anyone know why this occurs, and/or if a setting can be tweaked to prevent this?

I haven't really tweaked much in terms of settings, it's a pretty standard setup (broadcasting my SSIDs, passwords established, no MAC filtering or manual IP assignments). I have the latest firmware installed.

Known issue (please use search) which is dependant on Asus to getting fixed. The RMerlin fork has the exact same issues, based on the same closed source code too.

Thank you L&LD, glad to know it's not just me.

I had tried searching for related posts before, but found nothing, thus why I posted.

Do you know if ASUS acknowledged the issue?

Thank you L&LD, glad to know it's not just me.

I had tried searching for related posts before, but found nothing, thus why I posted.

Do you know if ASUS acknowledged the issue?

Seems like for some models, it has. But I don't follow Asus' firmware releases, I run RMerlin powered networks. :)

I found this bug quite annoying when I deployed a 86u at a customer site a few months back. I use wifiman app by ubiquiti for a better picture of the network. Reserving ip addresses is fun when they don't show in the list so I just shrunk the dhcp pool and assigned static addresses outside it for items that didn't show in list. That 86u was the first, and will be the last asus I put in the field.

I posted the same thing a while back about this issue, its annoying when you want to check what's connected and whats not.
Its pretty poor that Asus has never fixed it, as much as its a minor annoyance, my next router will not be an Asus if they can't be bothered to fix something that should not be broken in the first place.

was about to ask the same thing, never checked much the devices, but now as i use Arduino boards + LAN shield, wanted to check how they work, but they never show up on Asus Network Map :( even they get IP and working fine.
I'm on Asus RT-AC88U Merlin firmware 384.8_2

@RMerlin please could u confirm it's fixed and will be integrated in next release?

Thanks

was about to ask the same thing, never checked much the devices, but now as i use Arduino boards + LAN shield, wanted to check how they work, but they never show up on Asus Network Map :( even they get IP and working fine.
I'm on Asus RT-AC88U Merlin firmware 384.8_2

@RMerlin please could u confirm it's fixed and will be integrated in next release?

Thanks

RMerlin can't do that. Closed source and all. His next release may also be before the GPL code drops too. ;)

I know he cant fix it, but he is definetely testing it and can confirm if it will be working in next Merlin release ;)

I know he cant fix it, but he is definetely testing it and can confirm if it will be working in next Merlin release ;)
He still can't confirm that. The Network Map issues are "unpredictable", so even if it works OK in his testing that doesn't meant it's "fixed" for other people. Besides, how do you know that he's "definitely testing it"?

In addition to the excellent points, ColinTaylor made, his next release doesn't just depend on the next GPL drop. He is on his own schedule with where he wants his fork to be. :)

I found this bug quite annoying when I deployed a 86u at a customer site a few months back. I use wifiman app by ubiquiti for a better picture of the network. Reserving ip addresses is fun when they don't show in the list so I just shrunk the dhcp pool and assigned static addresses outside it for items that didn't show in list. That 86u was the first, and will be the last asus I put in the field.
A workaround for when you're in a pinch: Go to System Log: DHCP leases

even with the latest FW i cant see all devices on my network :/ especially Arduino LAN shields - none of them