What's new

RT-AC86U hangs on reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcc344

New Around Here
Wondering if anyone is experiencing this issue. Happened with 384.8-2 and 384.10 betas.
Have the router set to auto reboot once a week. Most times the reboot is OK. Occasionally the reboot fails and the router hangs. No lights on and can't get into the router to check error log. A hard powerup boot usually corrects the issue, sometimes more than one hard boot is required.
Nothing special with the router, just a policy based VPN. USB ports not being used and no scrips active.

…Happened with 384.8-2 and 384.10 ....A hard powerup boot usually corrects the issue, sometimes more than one hard boot is required.…

That doesn’t sound very encouraging. Which firmware were you running before you flashed 384.8-2?

When was the router last reset to factory default settings, and was it AFTER flashing new firmware, and did you manually enter your custom settings or did you try to cheat and use a backup file of settings?

That doesn’t sound very encouraging. Which firmware were you running before you flashed 384.8-2?

When was the router last reset to factory default settings, and was it AFTER flashing new firmware, and did you manually enter your custom settings or did you try to cheat and use a backup file of settings?

I can tell you this bug happens even on 384.7 and maybe earlier. It's a persistent bug that can't be fixed by flashing afaik. Believe me I tried.

I can tell you this bug happens even on 384.7 and maybe earlier. It's a persistent bug that can't be fixed by flashing afaik. Believe me I tried.
Didn’t we go through this before and I encouraged you to reinstate your RT-AC68U, or was that someone else?

Didn’t we go through this before and I encouraged you to reinstate your RT-AC68U, or was that someone else?

Lol you frequently encourage people to do it -- but yes you have several times before, probably once to do with this issue, and I did :) I've reinitialised and clean upgraded many times before ( and I'll clean upgrade to 384.10 soon) but it never makes a difference. It's just an intermittent bug that persists.

Wondering if anyone is experiencing this issue. Happened with 384.8-2 and 384.10 betas.
Have the router set to auto reboot once a week. Most times the reboot is OK. Occasionally the reboot fails and the router hangs. No lights on and can't get into the router to check error log. A hard powerup boot usually corrects the issue, sometimes more than one hard boot is required.
Nothing special with the router, just a policy based VPN. USB ports not being used and no scrips active.
As stated, yes it is a known issue, first reported in August 2018. Many of us with AC86U know and just have to be aware when one reboots for now. No one has identified a cause or remedy. I reported to ASUS directly and they stated they were unable to duplicate.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac86u-sometimes-powers-completely-off-during-reboot.48296/

As stated, yes it is a known issue, first reported in August 2018. Many of us with AC86U know and just have to be aware when one reboots for now. No one has identified a cause or remedy. I reported to ASUS directly and they stated they were unable to duplicate.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac86u-sometimes-powers-completely-off-during-reboot.48296/
“Unable to duplicate”, that makes me wonder what proportion of AC86Us do not exhibit the bug? I don’t just mean they haven’t noticed because they don’t reboot but have actively tried to reproduce it on many occasions. (Rhetorical question.)

“Unable to duplicate”, that makes me wonder what proportion of AC86Us do not exhibit the bug? I don’t just mean they haven’t noticed because they don’t reboot but have actively tried to reproduce it on many occasions. (Rhetorical question.)
I get that often from manufacturers. I take that as a "don't bother us, looser" attitude, and usually look elsewhere for support or change the products I use.

Thanks to RMerlin, SNB, and the users here, I'll stay with the AC86U, because the support here usually solves most issues. This one is odd, who knows how many do and do not experience this?

I get that often from manufacturers. I take that as a "don't bother us, looser" attitude, and usually look elsewhere for support or change the products I use.

Thanks to RMerlin, SNB, and the users here, I'll stay with the AC86U, because the support here usually solves most issues. This one is odd, who knows how many do and do not experience this?

Exactly. No reason they’d care. And this problem is damn hard to reproduce. It happens or it doesn’t. Sad paaanda :( At least I have UPS and never reboot :)

And your report can’t be the first Asus have heard of this. They might have offered to send you one of theirs as a swap for yours. Then they’d be able to reproduce it, and, perhaps, get to the root of it. Perhaps you could offer them that option; that’d test their willingness to get it sorted! And you might get a bug-free model into the bargain.

I never could reproduce the issue either.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Exactly. No reason they’d care. And this problem is damn hard to reproduce. It happens or it doesn’t. Sad paaanda :( At least I have UPS and never reboot :)

Yes, I did a full reset and manual config. Interesting to see that others have the same issue. For now I'll just remove the auto reboot. I'm also am running a UPS along with a 7 hour battery backup on the modem and router. That will keep Internet operational for as long as the cable is active.

I have experienced the same problem of my RT-AC86U and reboot, just recently i rebooted from the gui after changing vpn provider and the gui was showing the % slowly increasing but the leds on the router did not change,all remained on and steady then the % reached 100% but hung on "complete" screen and i had to pull the plug and reinsert. I do not have any scripts or ssh enabled only 2 devices ( laptop and Formuler set top box ) both going through vpn under strict policy rules. Looking back i also experienced the same when updating the firmware recently,needed to reboot a couple of times by unplugging router,i just thought that i was unlucky and had purchased a dud ( only 3 months old ) but seems that i am not alone. A return under warranty will not necessarily sort the issue?

......A return under warranty will not necessarily sort the issue?
Why not? A good warranty
system would make sure that faulty items find their way back to the manufacturer for investigation. And if enough items got returned the manufacturer would realise something else other than random faults is going on. And you might get a bug-free version in exchange. You’d be sorry if, when it was out of warranty, it got stuck in this faulty reboot loop for good.

My AC86U does this about 1 out 6 times. I do a weekly reboot in the wee hours, every Monday. Mine was hanging this Morning LOL. It's been doing this at least three or four FW revisions back I'm on 384.9, (Ohh, just looked update time :)

I have not had this issue with my 86U nor have I tried to reproduce it by doing multiple reboots. Have been using it since November of last year. Currently on 384.9 and 48 days uptime. Will try to update to 384.10 soon and since this will be my third time without a factory default reset I think it's probably time:)

I have not had this issue with my 86U nor have I tried to reproduce it by doing multiple reboots. Have been using it since November of last year. Currently on 384.9 and 48 days uptime. Will try to update to 384.10 soon and since this will be my third time without a factory default reset I think it's probably time:)

Lucky. Do you run any packages/scripts in the router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!