What's new

[RT-AC86U] I built cake!!!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ttgapers these test are wired correct? Just by chance, do you get same scores on wireless testing? Thanks!

That last test was from my Wireless (AC/5Ghz) connected Surface Pro 4.

I can send a sample from a wired machine if you like...

That last test was from my Wireless (AC/5Ghz) connected Surface Pro 4.

I can send a sample from a wired machine if you like...
Wow...yes would be cool, however, if you're getting these scores on wireless already, i'm sure they def won't change on wired!

I was amazed when I saw the score as well. I want to keep this running for about a week. I have services I host internally as well, so I should get a good load profile with the 12 hour test as per bufferbloat.net. Gonna leave that running today for the full 12 hours....

I was amazed when I saw the score as well. I want to keep this running for about a week. I have services I host internally as well, so I should get a good load profile with the 12 hour test as per bufferbloat.net. Gonna leave that running today for the full 12 hours....
Definitely keep us posted.

Do you know if cake survives a restart or do we have to run the services-start command after reboot? I haven't tried it yet haha.

Definitely keep us posted.

Do you know if cake survives a restart or do we have to run the services-start command after reboot? I haven't tried it yet haha.

It should work as we added the hook to services-start
Note, based on the OPs work for the script, I've added a hook in services-stop as well to stop CAKE on command. I have tested both stop/start commands.

Who do we work with to get a consolidated first post with both of our steps consolidated? I offered to host on my git as well, so we can get some script automation going bu haven't heard anything as yet.

It should work as we added the hook to services-start
Note, based on the OPs work for the script, I've added a hook in services-stop as well to stop CAKE on command. I have tested both stop/start commands.

Who do we work with to get a consolidated first post with both of our steps consolidated? I offered to host on my git as well, so we can get some script automation going bu haven't heard anything as yet.
That would keep things clear and less confusion for those who would like to test 'cake' ! I believe 1 of the moderators should be able to grant you some kind of admin access. I believe the instructions needs to mention when to use cake and not use when speeds are over 250mpbs!

Have you done any speedtest with spdMerlin? It seems my speeds have decreased from averaging 105mpbs to around 80 mpbs with cake.

Have you done any speedtest with spdMerlin? It seems my speeds have decreased from averaging 105mpbs to around 80 mpbs with cake.

I don't, but depending on load, QoS could be kicking in on your speedtests as well and thus affect the results. You should try to tie test times into load times on your network to see if there is a relationship. I suspect there is.

@Odkrys @robcore @Kingp1n

Thanks for all the awesome work on this. Looks like we got some testing velocity going on and wondered if there is interest with you all as well. I've used lots of scripts/addons here so would be cool to give back if I can, when I can.

Here is what I am thinking (assuming this thing really works as well as it appears)

1. GUI addon: robcore seems to have it based on the screenshot in Post 1, but we haven't seen/heard from in a bit.
2. CAKE Builds/version that work: @Odkrys looks like you got this under control from posts on Page 3. How do you, and how can we help get more builds out and tested across supported routers?
3. I can assist in scripting/testing as required as I have a fairly complex setup/loads.
4. I can also offer up my git repo to centralize and host everything, or any other repo as the core devs are Odkrys and robcore at present
5. Kingp1n has been heavily testing as well and providing awesome feedback as well as others...

This is all assuming we want to do this...as it would help the thread get better organized. I think this addon has tons of promise as it can break the Merlin privacy conscious folks from having to opt-in to Trend bloat. That's my primary driver outside of the other QoS options not working well for me.

What are your thoughts on the above?

As I noted on Page 5, you have to read up and pick based on your connection. In my examples I left out the docsis intentionally, so a user need to lookup what type and which command to use based on connection type.....
Hope i picked the correct one i used pppoe-ptm ack-filter

Curious if Cake is worth it with my user scenario. I'm extremely novice when it comes to things like this.

Traditional QoS
fq_codel
Cable (docsis)
Skynet
30/3 = 28.5/2.85 effective (95%)
A+ A+ A+ reports, most of the time.

EDIT: I do not use Trend Micro for AI, or anything.

Last edited:
Fantastic work guys.
Installed and working a treat. A+ across the board on DSL Reports, and I have never seen the graph look smoother.
If I interpreted the instructions for the overhead correctly, I just added a "bridged-ptm" to the end of the upload and download entries to cater for my VDSL2 (Australian NBN on AussieBB) connection.
I used the same bandwidth values that I had been using with Adaptive QoS (fq_codel + FreshJR), but may play with those to see if I can squeak a bit more out of my somewhat pathetic bandwidth. (syncs at about 34Mbps Down and 8.5Mbps Up, so values are currently 29Mbps and 7Mbps)

Curious if Cake is worth it with my user scenario. I'm extremely novice when it comes to things like this.

Traditional QoS
fq_codel
Cable (docsis)
Skynet
30/3 = 28.5/2.85 effective (95%)
A+ A+ A+ reports, most of the time.

Looks like you are getting great results as-is. Have a look at the post above from @Wade Coxon where they applied as well coming over from fq_codel/FreshJR. I like it cause it "just works".....no Trend Micro crap, even if it gives the same results....

I do use Skynet and Diversion. I used the Large list in Diversion and have issues loading it in Unbound, so I used Unbound for recursive DNS resolution etc. and use Diversion for ad-blocking and Youtube ads. Skynet is my firewall, Suricata hopefully my IPS/IDS and now Cake as my QoS (assuming all goes well).

Hope that helps.
The super cool thing about unbound and diversion is just how private your LAN can be...with SkyNet (and Suricata, when that's ready for prime time...and I've been under the probably mistaken impression it was one or the other), you turn into a very small pinprick of light in the internet universe, and smaller/dimmer yet if you've transitioned to IPv6. opsec and privacy concerned folk will be extremely pleased.

I'm going to keep watching this before I take the plunge, but it seems it could be a good fit for me

BTW, I presume that tinkering with the device priority in the Bandwidth Monitor page is still something you should avoid when running Cake, as-per the guidance when using any form (vanilla or variant) of Adaptive QoS?

BTW, I presume that tinkering with the device priority in the Bandwidth Monitor page is still something you should avoid when running Cake, as-per the guidance when using any form (vanilla or variant) of Adaptive QoS?

I agree, though we call out disabling native/traditional/adaptive/Fresh, we should also include Bandwidth Monitor as well perhaps!

Here are my setup instructions:

Thanks to @robcore for his work. Wish we can get more versions moving!

Running the following as well:
amtm, scmerlin, syslog-ng/scribe, skynet, diversion (large list/youtube blocker), unbound (core dns), suricata (ips/ids), cake (QoS).

Pre-reqs
  • Not recommended for connection up/down of 250Mbps or higher
  • Disable QoS (any) - probably best to go to Admin/Privacy and "Withdraw" to be sure (note disables others stuff too)
  • Entware
  • USB Storage
  • jffs
Tips

Download based on your router
sched-cake-oot
RT-AC86U
https://drive.google.com/open?id=18sY2EmUxrw23ix-e0xHCWibLG6SB0YNu

RT-AX88U

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YhawbEmvK1IMug9PeQbUH_gR8lN6o6Ee

All routers
tc-adv
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cATB5RNBfwtxioP7JH89Sw-9PqX6voQ-

1. Upload to your router the files above.
2. Logon and browse to upload folder
3. Install:
  • opkg install sched-cake-oot_2020-05-28-a5dccfd8-1_aarch64-3.10.ipk
  • opkg install tc-adv_4.16.0-git-20191110_aarch64-3.10.ipk
4. Create a new file in /jffs/scripts/cake-qos-start.sh OR nano /jffs/scripts/cake-qos-start.sh
5. Add the following:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

case $1 in
        start)
        logger "Starting Cake queue management"
       runner disable 2>/dev/null
       fc disable 2>/dev/null
       fc flush 2>/dev/null
       insmod /opt/lib/modules/sch_cake.ko 2>/dev/null

#WAN-eth0
       /opt/sbin/tc qdisc replace dev eth0 root cake bandwidth 12Mbit besteffort nat

ip link add name ifb9eth0 type ifb
       /opt/sbin/tc qdisc del dev eth0 ingress 2>/dev/null
       /opt/sbin/tc qdisc add dev eth0 handle ffff: ingress
       /opt/sbin/tc qdisc del dev ifb9eth0 root 2>/dev/null
       /opt/sbin/tc qdisc add dev ifb9eth0 root cake bandwidth 120Mbit besteffort nat wash ingress
       ifconfig ifb9eth0 up
       /opt/sbin/tc filter add dev eth0 parent ffff: protocol all prio 10 u32 match u32 0 0 flowid 1:1 action mirred egress redirect dev ifb9eth0
        ;;
        stop)
   logger "Stopping Cake queue management"
       ##off
       /opt/sbin/tc qdisc del dev eth0 ingress 2>/dev/null
       /opt/sbin/tc qdisc del dev ifb9eth0 root 2>/dev/null
       /opt/sbin/tc qdisc del dev eth0 root 2>/dev/null
       ip link del ifb9eth0

rmmod sch_cake 2>/dev/null
       fc enable
       runner enable
       ;;
   *)
        echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop}"
        ;;
esac
Note:
eth0 for upload, ifb9eth0 for download.
Kbit or Mbit both are ok. e.g 800Kbps upload and 10Mbps download.

Edit the lines in the above code block to suit along with any tweaks based on the Tips above based on connection type ADSL, Docsis etc.

• /opt/sbin/tc qdisc replace dev eth0 root cake bandwidth 800Kbit besteffort nat
  • /opt/sbin/tc qdisc add dev ifb9eth0 root cake bandwidth 10Mbit besteffort nat ingress wash
6. nano /jffs/scripts/services-start
7. Add sh /jffs/scripts/cake-qos-start.sh start
8. nano /jffs/script/services-stop
9. Add /jffs/scripts/cake-qos-start.sh stop
10. chmod +x /jffs/scripts/cake-qos-start.sh
11. Start Cake QoS: sh /jffs/scripts/cake-qos-start.sh start OR to stop sh /jffs/scripts/cake-qos-start.sh stop
12. Validate/test
  • tc qdisc
  • tc -s qdisc show dev eth0 (for upload)
  • tc -s qdisc show dev ifb9eth0 (for download)
This is probably a daft question but what do you use to do the first 2 steps? And where do the files go? I've used WinSCP to upload the files to the router and then tried running the install commands with Putty but I just get an error. But I don't know if I'm doing it correctly.

One other item perhaps you all can test/confirm is that I am seeing a nice drop in memory usage on my device since I disabled the the non-CAKE QoS variants on my router. Anyone else care to verify?

This is probably a daft question but what do you use to do the first 2 steps? And where do the files go? I've used WinSCP to upload the files to the router and then tried running the install commands with Putty but I just get an error. But I don't know if I'm doing it correctly.

I uploaded to the default tmp folder when you log in. Key questions, is your router supported and secondly did you pull the right file(s), and lastly do you have Entware already installed? Please double check filenames, as the orig post on Page 3 had an old version of the file. Also posting the output of your error(s) may help. I know @Kingp1n and others have assisted on installs as I can also.

Status
Not open for further replies.