What's new

[RT-AC86U] I built cake!!!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been working with @Jon21 via messages because he's been having issues with cake-qos applying on device reboot.

I put together a test script for him with a 5 minute delay and he's reported that cake-qos now applies successfully with the 5 min delay (using services-start as the trigger) :)

Thanks, will do later tonight (busy work day!)

That's a good idea; I also just realized FreshJR's QoS is attached to firewall-start (+ 5 minute delay). I don't know the boot sequencing too well so hopefully others would be able to suggest where to attach this script! (services-start, wan-event, firewall-start, or another).

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wiki/User-scripts#available-scripts

Sounds like wan-event might be a little dangerous because it seems like it'd be triggered if the connection drops/reconnects. Perhaps firewall-start is the way to go. "Called after the firewall got started and filtering rules have been applied. This is where you will usually put your own custom rules in the filter table (but not the NAT table)."

Has cake-qos been auto-starting properly for anyone, with the services-start entry?

I have to do more tests on the restarts as well...

So I've been working with @Jon21 via messages because he's been having issues with cake-qos applying on device reboot.

I put together a test script for him with a 5 minute delay and he's reported that cake-qos now applies successfully with the 5 min delay (using services-start as the trigger) :)

Get that github account please...in the mean time care to share it, so it can reach the masses? Awesome work folks

Last edited:
better to find out where this delay is generating than to generate a delay to correct it.

If anyone wants to help test out if firewall-start would work without a delay we've put together a test version that uses firewall-start instead of services-start:

Code:
/usr/sbin/curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ttgapers/cakeqos-merlin/develop/cake-qos-firewall-nodelay.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/cake-qos" && chmod 0755 /jffs/scripts/cake-qos

Skip the below command if you already have the cake binaries installed:
If ac86u: /jffs/scripts/cake-qos install ac86u
If ax88u: /jffs/scripts/cake-qos install ax88u

Then:

Code:
/jffs/scripts/cake-qos enable 135Mbit 13Mbit "docsis ack-filter"

Change above download speed, upload speed and optional extra parameters accordingly.

Then reboot your router and once booted up run:

tc qdisc
tc -s qdisc show dev eth0 (for upload)
tc -s qdisc show dev ifb9eth0 (for download)

To verify whether or not cake-qos is started properly.

when y'all get a spare minute after this calms down some, you should fill out the "About" on the github page so that people know this is a fork specific to Merlin users with entware.
I'm watching ;-p

i am looking for some stats per categories f.e.

It doesn’t work that way - at the moment. It might never work like what you’re used to from FreshJR in that regard...but from what users report, it works as well or better than FreshJR or Asus’ QoS without
1- having to configure it, and
2- having to share personal data with a 3rd party/corporate entity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn’t work that way - at the moment. It might never work like what you’re used to from FreshJR in that regard...but from what users report, it works as well or better than FreshJR or Asus’ QoS without
1- having to configure it, and
2- having to share personal data with a 3rd party/corporate entity.

Plus system memory that's saved not using trendmicro etc and privacy protection from data not being shared externally

Plus system memory that's saved not using trendmicro etc and privacy protection from data not being shared externally

Those too. Thanks for clarifying the privacy aspect - I take for granted everyone is as aware/concerned about that as I am (says the guy with 2 gmail and a hotmail [emoji849])

How does cake handle IPv6 ? I know that FreshJR had some issues here that were never resolved by the developer.

when y'all get a spare minute after this calms down some, you should fill out the "About" on the github page so that people know this is a fork specific to Merlin users with entware.
I'm watching ;-p

We have this as the first section...let me know if we need to clarify further in your opinion (or if there is standard to be followed)...

https://github.com/ttgapers/cakeqos-merlin

Pre-requisites
  1. Currently only supports RT-86U & RT-AX88U running Merlin firmware
  2. Not recommended for connection up/down of 250Mbps or higher
  3. Disable QoS (any) - probably best to go to Admin/Privacy and "Withdraw" to be sure (note disables others stuff too)
  4. Entware
  5. USB Storage
  6. jffs
Cheers...

Update: This mod is moving closer to its own thread :)

Status
Not open for further replies.