What's new

RT-AC86U new firmware 3.0.0.4.386_44470-g53bccb8

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This beta 41994 was a quick dnsmasq fix. The RC3 beta is further Asuswrt development.

84 days uptime on this firmware...rock solid.
Which firmware is this please? The one in the title of this thread or a different one? Thank you.
I'm getting a used 86U after a long time of waiting and on the verge of deciding between the most stable official (if I can find what that firmware is) or go Merlin but I'm not very techy so a little scared of third party firmware.

Which firmware is this please? The one in the title of this thread or a different one? Thank you.
I'm getting a used 86U after a long time of waiting and on the verge of deciding between the most stable official (if I can find what that firmware is) or go Merlin but I'm not very techy so a little scared of third party firmware.

The subject firmware is the current firmware release: RT-AC86U|WiFi Routers|ASUS USA

Install it, reset it, and configure it... my install notes may help.

OE

I just noticed this new AiMesh remote node setting:

1633777437926.png

OE

I just noticed this new AiMesh remote node setting:

View attachment 36688

OE
OE,
I thought Asus redirects AiMesh Node GUI to Main AiMesh Router (?), looks like a bug, I tried to play with a few other pages, they get redirected to AiMesh Router. :)

OE,
I thought Asus redirects AiMesh Node GUI to Main AiMesh Router (?), looks like a bug, I tried to play with a few other pages, they get redirected to AiMesh Router. :)

The posted remote node switch control is under AiMesh\node\Management\Switch Control... logs into remote node IP (not main router 192.168.1.1).

OE

The wifi is dropping on the second ac86u I'm using as a aimesh node. There is no consistent time for this happening. Sometimes it takes a week and other times in a day or two. A restart solves the problem though.

So I though only the wifi was dropping on the node. I didn't bother to check what the actual problem was cause it happens every other week or so, but today I found out that the connection between the router and node is dropping.

I'm using a lan cable with ethernet backhaul enabled

as I said in a previous post a restart solves the problem. Is this a software problem or should I start checking cables and settings.

Can someone help before I toss this router out the window ACu86 keeps dropping my 2.4ghz connection. I see it appear and then disappear and when its there it says internet not available. So what can I do as I have some hardware that requires 2.4 as they wont connect to 5.0 wifi.

Can someone help before I toss this router out the window ACu86 keeps dropping my 2.4ghz connection. I see it appear and then disappear and when its there it says internet not available. So what can I do as I have some hardware that requires 2.4 as they wont connect to 5.0 wifi.

Works here.

If all 2.4 clients exhibit the same issue, then confirm the router firmware is commissioned properly, starting with a fresh firmware download and install, reset and configuration... see 2.4 settings suggested in my install notes. Try a different channel in case there is some strong interference on the channel being used now. Also, disable USB 3.0 mode on the router... if used, it can disrupt 2.4 clients.

If the 2.4 signal remains abnormal (watch it with a WiFi Analyzer) and not reliable for different 2.4 clients, then the AC86U hardware/2.4 radio may be failing. Is there a country and date of manufacture on the rear label?

And assume you will figure this out or else you won't have the troubleshooting will to get it done. :)

OE

Last edited:
Works here.

If all 2.4 clients exhibit the same issue, then confirm the router firmware is commissioned properly, starting with a fresh firmware download and install, reset and configuration... see 2.4 settings suggested in my install notes. Try a different channel in case there is some strong interference on the channel being used now. Also, disable USB 3.0 mode on the router... if used, it can disrupt 2.4 clients.

If the 2.4 signal remains abnormal (watch it with a WiFi Analyzer) and not reliable for different 2.4 clients, then the AC86U hardware/2.4 radio may be failing. Is there a country and date of manufacture on the rear label?

And assume you will figure this out or else you won't have the troubleshooting will to get it done. :)

OE
Made in China 2018 and settings you mentioned did not work.

Made in China 2018 and settings you mentioned did not work.

Those settings are basic and work but they can't fix failed hardware.

The AC86U has an early reputation for hardware failure... 2.4 radio and a VR chip burning up. I had two China 2018 builds fail, one in and one out of warranty. I'd say your 86U has failed and would plan to replace it.

OE

The AC86U has an early reputation for hardware failure... 2.4 radio and a VR chip burning up. I had two China 2018 builds fail, one in and one out of warranty. I'd say your 86U is failing and would plan to replace it.

OE
what did you replace it with?

on previous fw work ok ?

what did you replace it with?

Another AC86U, Vietnam 2020 (same as the warranty replacement).

Since then, the RT-AX86U has become a candidate but prices are up, supply is down, and WiFi6e is still emerging, so it's a calculated decision. You may have to make a move, so you might want to review the current AX variants similar to the AX86U and see what others think about their AX choice. I'm still holding with my AC routers.

Maybe you could buy some time with an old router... wire it up in AP mode to serve your 2.4 clients (turn OFF the 2.4 radio in the AC86U).

Edit: Best price I see for the AC86U is $160 at Microcenter stores.

OE

Last edited:
Another AC86U, Vietnam 2020 (same as the warranty replacement).

Since then, the RT-AX86U has become a candidate but prices are up, supply is down, and WiFi6e is still emerging, so it's a calculated decision. You may have to make a move, so you might want to review the current AX variants similar to the AX86U and see what others think about their AX choice. I'm still holding with my AC routers.

Maybe you could buy some time with an old router... wire it up in AP mode to serve your 2.4 clients (turn OFF the 2.4 radio in the AC86U).

OE
Yes I have my old router Archer c7 may have to do that. Now can you walk me through AP mode so I can get it to work along side of my AC86u. I have my Rogers modem bridged to my AC86u router ATM.

Yes I have my old router Archer c7 may have to do that. Now can you walk me through AP mode so I can get it to work along side of my AC86u. I have my Rogers modem bridged to my AC86u router ATM.

Disable the 2.4 radio in the AC86U webUI.

Then setup the Archer C7 in AP Mode and wire it to a LAN port on the AC86U. Once you login and set the C7 for AP Mode, the wireless settings should be straightforward... I would disable the 5.0 radio to not conflict with the AC86U 5.0 WLAN(s) (if possible?).

OE

Then setup the Archer C7 in AP Mode and wire it to a LAN port on the AC86U. Once you login and set the C7 for AP Mode, the wireless settings should be straightforward... I would disable the 5.0 radio to not conflict with the AC86U 5.0 WLA

Ok I shall try that thanks.

Then setup the Archer C7 in AP Mode and wire it to a LAN port on the AC86U. Once you login and set the C7 for AP Mode, the wireless settings should be straightforward... I would disable the 5.0 radio to not conflict with the AC86U 5.0 WLAN(s) (if possible?).

OE
Hi what port should I plug in the wire at the back of the c7 Lan or the main port?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!