What's new

RT-AC86U new firmware 3.0.0.4.386_44470-g53bccb8

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Enable Traditional QoS (disables NAT acceleration) and try again. The limitation - the router can process up to 350Mbps WAN-LAN traffic with no NAT acceleration.
Just tried that. Didn't change a thing as I am still able to access several sites.

Report it to Asus in Feedback page.

I wonder why Asus did not turn on eee. For me, the difference is about 2 degrees (I only use one port).

eee off
Code:
VANT@RT-AC86U-BE80:/tmp/home/root# cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp | awk {'print $1 / 1000}'

eee on
Code:
VANT@RT-AC86U-BE80:/tmp/home/root# cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp | awk {'print $1 / 1000}'
How can i disable anytning energy efficient related to Tammy Ethernet port on my Ax86u?

How can i disable anytning energy efficient related to Tammy Ethernet port on my Ax86u?
You do not want to do that.
Just enjoy the AX86U and how well it performs.
Or keep fooling with it and turn it into a brick.
We will never make you happy with your AX86U (oh, this a thread for the AC86U) so return it and get a Netgear or Linksys. Then you really will have something to complain about.

We will never make you happy with your AX86U (oh, this a thread for the AC86U) so return it and get a Netgear or Linksys. Then you really will have something to complain about.
Well I just wanna view the power status — not going to Turn anytning off ; I’m pretty sure all my issues r ps5 related so I’m getting a pc soon to find out how good It can be

I’m not going to brick it… I’m running testing…. Pwrctl config —eee off did not work

Previous release 42643 seemed to have an occasional WiFi client connectivity issue on either node, dirty and clean (TuneIn streaming would stop; client would 'lose Internet'; toggling client WiFi OFF/ON would recover connectivity). I was about to downgrade to further confirm isolate this issue, but will now look for "Improved system stability." with 44470.

I may have caused my client disconnect issue with the last two firmware, 42643 and now 44470. I was using -55 dBm for my 2.4 Roaming Assistant RSSI threshold. Today, I determined that this was 5 to 10 dBm more positive/stronger than the measured signal power of the competing WLAN signals at the 'halfway point' between the nodes where the signals are roughly equal. So, I think my client was being disconnected in that zone and kept from re-connecting... an 'RA no-connection zone'. Not seamless.

The fix so far has been to lower the 2.4 RA RSSI threshold to -70 dBm (back to the default!), which is about 5-10 dBm more negative/weaker than the competing WLAN signals at the 'halfway point'. Now my client seems to hold its connection until farther away past the 'halfway point', beyond which it will disconnect and then connect to the other node. My two AC86Us are 77' apart.

Summary?: RA RSSI threshold dBm needs to be set more negative/weaker than the 'halfway point' signal dBm so that the client stays connected past halfway, where upon it disconnects and can then connect to the next signal/node.

I used WiFi Analyzer Classic to get a rough measure of signal power at the 'halfway point'

OE

Last edited:
I may have caused my client disconnect issue with the last two firmware, 42643 and now 44470. I was using -55 dBm for my 2.4 Roaming Assistant RSSI threshold. Today, I determined that this was 5 to 10 dBm more positive/stronger than the measured signal power of the competing WLAN signals at the 'halfway point' between the nodes where the signals are roughly equal. So, I think my client was being disconnected in that zone and kept from re-connecting... an 'RA no-connection zone'. Not seamless.

The fix so far has been to lower the 2.4 RA RSSI threshold to -70 dBm (back to the default!), which is about 5-10 dBm more negative/weaker than the competing WLAN signals at the 'halfway point'. Now my client seems to hold its connection until farther away past the 'halfway point', beyond which it will disconnect and then connect to the other node. My two AC86Us are 77' apart.

Summary?: RA RSSI threshold dBm needs to be set more negative/weaker than the 'halfway point' signal dBm so that the client stays connected past halfway, where upon it disconnects and can then connect to the next signal/node.

I used WiFi Analyzer Classic to get a rough measure of signal power at the 'halfway point'

OE

Yeah, this has fixed my connectivity issue. If you use RA, you need to tweak the RSSI threshold to suit signal powers at your 'halfway point'.

OE

Last edited:
Aimesh setup - 3 ac86u's
First time having one of the Aimesh units completely disappear from the network even after power on and off and reboot.
Not sure what happened. Had to reset the unit and add it back to the Aimesh network. Units are 18 months old.
Has anyone else experienced something like this? Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, I tested AiMesh 2.0 with 3x AC86U routers and one node disappeared. I had another RT-AC66U B1 node lost in action when testing mixed routers AiMesh 2.0 setup. Not very impressed with AiMesh. Will test again in 6 months and after few firmware releases when Asus clears the bugs. As I understand 386 code and AiMesh 2.0 is still under development.

Aimesh setup - 3 ac86u's
First time having one of the Aimesh units completely disappear from the network even after power on and off and reboot.
Not sure what happened. Had to reset the unit and add it back to the Aimesh network. Units are 18 months old.
Has anyone else experienced something like this? Any help would be appreciated.

Presumably wireless backhaul. Did you take note of the router and node WiFi signals when the node left the network... were all radios/signals still broadcasting normally? A WiFi Analyzer app could tell you this.

Does the node labeling list the country and year of manufacture? Some early 86Us are known to die over time (i.e. China 2018).

What is your practice after upgrading the firmware... do you ever reset it to its factory defaults and configure from scratch for a 'clean' install?

OE

Any idea on when a new firmware will be released? Can't upgrade due to the block internet access bug present in this release.

What block internet access bug?
It’s a bug related to the block internet access feature for certain devices - other users have confirmed it in this thread. When you block a device with the latest firmware it still has access to the internet despite being blocked. Rolled back to previous firmware and it works fine.

Block device works reliably only with NAT acceleration disabled. Valid for any firmware version. If the device Internet access is blocked permanently, it works always after restart. If it cycles according to hourly schedule and NAT acceleration is enabled, it may or may not work. I believe there was a yellow warning message in Asuswrt about this. There is a chance you believe the previous version works fine just because you had to restart the router.

Block device works reliably only with NAT acceleration disabled. Valid for any firmware version. If the device Internet access is blocked permanently, it works always after restart. If it cycles according to hourly schedule and NAT acceleration is enabled, it may or may not work. I believe there was a yellow warning message in Asuswrt about this. There is a chance you believe the previous version works fine just because you had to restart the router.
I use block internet devices daily through the app, I noticed this bug as soon as I flashed to the latest firmware, every firmware previous doesn't exhibit this behaviour so it's evidently an issue present in the latest release which other people have confirmed in this thread. Given it's been over 2months since the last release I was hoping this would be fixed soonish

There is a newer Asuswrt RC3 beta in Asuswrt forum. Try it and see if it fixes the issue for you. It also has new features like DNSFilter, borrowed from Asuswrt-Merlin. It is stable.

There is a newer Asuswrt RC3 beta in Asuswrt forum. Try it and see if it fixes the issue for you. It also has new features like DNSFilter, borrowed from Asuswrt-Merlin. It is stable.
Oh right okay, are these beta's directly from Asus? if so, how come the do not appear on the normal support page as they post beta's there usually along side the stable releases

Oh right okay, are these beta's directly from Asus? if so, how come the do not appear on the normal support page as they post beta's there usually along side the stable releases
Have never seen Asus post Beta's on their support page. They do use this forum to post Beta's:
I have tried this on AC86U and it works very well...

Bet you do not dare to try it!

Have never seen Asus post Beta's on their support page. They do use this forum to post Beta's:
I have tried this on AC86U and it works very well...

Bet you do not dare to try it!
Just flashed to the beta firmware and lo & behold the bugs fixed - hopefully the next release stable release should be imminent. As for the beta firmware's, on the support page there was a official beta posted "Version 9.0.0.4.386.41994" back in February, kind of odd they haven't posted anymore apart from here

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!