What's new

RT-AC86U Optimum VPN settings for gaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GK59

Regular Contributor
Can someone please help with how I can set options for gaming under VPN client, things like Compression algos etc.I'd be very grateful.

You cannot customize those, the settings to use are dictated by the server to which you connect.

You cannot customize those, the settings to use are dictated by the server to which you connect.
Hi Merlin, I might have misspoke, I'm referring to "Compression" under advanced options, things of that nature.

Hi Merlin, I might have misspoke, I'm referring to "Compression" under advanced options, things of that nature.

That's one of those settings that is dictated by the server. If the server is configured to use compression, then you have no choice but to also enable compression in the client. The server will have the final say as to most of these settings (cipher, compression, hmac, etc...).

Can someone please help with how I can set options for gaming under VPN client, things like Compression algos etc.I'd be very grateful.

Is this regarding the OpenVPN protocol only? Any specific reason you wish to do gaming through a VPN network? It’s more likely to cause slowdowns. Better to connect to game servers directly.

Are you trying to connect your router to a friends VPN server for virtual LAN gaming? Or are you using a paid commercial VPN service? If you’re using a commercial VPN provider then their website should let you download a client config file with the settings required to connect to their server. Import it, or manually copy in the certs and keys.

As someone who’s read the openvpn man pages top to bottom with experience managing their own PKI manually I can tell you it’s complicated and some options while named similarly are deprecated or impact security. It’s best to just use the settings they tell you. They should hopefully know what they’re doing.

Once again, I think you’re better off not gaming through a VPN connection. Let us know how you go.

As someone who’s read the openvpn man pages top to bottom with experience managing their own PKI manually I can tell you it’s complicated and some options while named similarly are deprecated or impact security. It’s best to just use the settings they tell you. They should hopefully know what they’re doing.
A welcome reminder of how easy setting up OpenVPN Server has been made for us: a couple of clicks, import the .ovpn file and you’re done. No knowledge of PKI required.

A dangerous assumption - a little education never hurts

Haha I said that because I didn’t want to start another debate about whether a particular VPN company is properly secure or worth the money. All I can say confidently is morons use free VPNs and lifetime VPN subscriptions seem unsustainable without making compromises.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!