1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC86U - Randomly Rebooting?

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by Mantz, May 29, 2020.

1. Mantz

Mantz New Around Here

Hi everyone.

My Asus AC86u is rebooting itself nearly every day, sometimes more often, and at random times. Or at least that is what it seems like is happening. I have included the most recent system log of the event. I am not sure if it is a setting, faulty router, bad cable, or connection from my ISP. The short drop is causing my VPN for work to disconnect. Hopefully someone else has seen this, or has a fix. I do not know how long it has been like this, as I never had a problem gaming or streaming before. I started noticing it when I began working from home in March along with everyone else.

Other pertinent information:
    Running most recent Merlin firmware, have tried stock firmware with the same results.
    15-20 devices all manually assigned IPs except my phone, smart home devices on 2.4, game systems and pc's on 5.
    Verizon Fios ONT.
    I can provide other settings if needed.

May 28 18:07:30 ntpd: Initial clock set
    May 28 18:07:30 rc_service: ntpd_synced 1342:notify_rc restart_diskmon
    May 28 18:07:30 disk_monitor: Finish
    May 28 18:07:30 WAN_Connection: WAN was restored.
    May 28 18:07:30 disk_monitor: be idle
    May 28 18:07:30 miniupnpd[1379]: HTTP listening on port 59580
    May 28 18:07:30 miniupnpd[1379]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Use the forum's search function. This behaviour has been discussed endlessly.

3. Mantz

Mantz New Around Here

I appreciate the guidance. Unfortunately, I have tried the search and made numerous attempts at corrective measures found in a number of posts, but I have yet to solve the issue. None of the posts I have found are exactly my issue. At this point I am not certain what the problem is, so it is challenging to diagnose.

I have updated stock firmware, changed to Merlin firmware, changed the wifi channels and bandwidth, manually assigned ip to all devices, turned on Qos, turned off Qos, disabled mimo and beamforming. At this point, I do not think it is a wireless issue, as the problem happens hardwired or wireless. I am lost.

If there is another thread that would help that maybe I missed, please share.

4. MarkyPancake

MarkyPancake Senior Member

As a test, does it do it on the latest stock firmware after a factory reset and then does it do it on the latest Merlin firmware after a factory reset (my 86U on Merlin 384.17 has been solid). If the router continues to reboot under both of these scenarios, then I would assume it's a hardware issue.

Edit: Just noticed your second paragraph in your last post.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  5. Mantz

Mantz New Around Here

Thank you. It can't hurt to try one more factory reset and try the updated stock firmware. I see there is a new thread with a clean standard setup I will follow. If it doesn't work, I will have to contact Asus. It may be hardware as you've suggested.

6. MarkyPancake

MarkyPancake Senior Member

There are reports on here that the latest stock firmware, 3.0.0.4.384.81858, is performing better than Merlin 384.17. I haven't used stock firmware in years, so can't comment on this myself.