What's new

RT-AC86U - Randomly Rebooting?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mantz

New Around Here
Hi everyone.

My Asus AC86u is rebooting itself nearly every day, sometimes more often, and at random times. Or at least that is what it seems like is happening. I have included the most recent system log of the event. I am not sure if it is a setting, faulty router, bad cable, or connection from my ISP. The short drop is causing my VPN for work to disconnect. Hopefully someone else has seen this, or has a fix. I do not know how long it has been like this, as I never had a problem gaming or streaming before. I started noticing it when I began working from home in March along with everyone else.

Other pertinent information:
Running most recent Merlin firmware, have tried stock firmware with the same results.
15-20 devices all manually assigned IPs except my phone, smart home devices on 2.4, game systems and pc's on 5.
Verizon Fios ONT.
I can provide other settings if needed.

May 28 18:07:30 ntpd: Initial clock set
May 28 18:07:30 rc_service: ntpd_synced 1342:notify_rc restart_diskmon
May 28 18:07:30 disk_monitor: Finish
May 28 18:07:30 WAN_Connection: WAN was restored.
May 28 18:07:30 disk_monitor: be idle
May 28 18:07:30 miniupnpd[1379]: HTTP listening on port 59580
May 28 18:07:30 miniupnpd[1379]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351

I appreciate the guidance. Unfortunately, I have tried the search and made numerous attempts at corrective measures found in a number of posts, but I have yet to solve the issue. None of the posts I have found are exactly my issue. At this point I am not certain what the problem is, so it is challenging to diagnose.

I have updated stock firmware, changed to Merlin firmware, changed the wifi channels and bandwidth, manually assigned ip to all devices, turned on Qos, turned off Qos, disabled mimo and beamforming. At this point, I do not think it is a wireless issue, as the problem happens hardwired or wireless. I am lost.

If there is another thread that would help that maybe I missed, please share.

As a test, does it do it on the latest stock firmware after a factory reset and then does it do it on the latest Merlin firmware after a factory reset (my 86U on Merlin 384.17 has been solid). If the router continues to reboot under both of these scenarios, then I would assume it's a hardware issue.

Edit: Just noticed your second paragraph in your last post.

Last edited:
Thank you. It can't hurt to try one more factory reset and try the updated stock firmware. I see there is a new thread with a clean standard setup I will follow. If it doesn't work, I will have to contact Asus. It may be hardware as you've suggested.

There are reports on here that the latest stock firmware, 3.0.0.4.384.81858, is performing better than Merlin 384.17. I haven't used stock firmware in years, so can't comment on this myself.

Did you have any luck fixing this? Im having the same issue with adaptive qos causing 4-5 reboots a day.

Did you have any luck fixing this? Im having the same issue with adaptive qos causing 4-5 reboots a day.
Attach a crash log starting from boot like this:
Code:
May  5 06:05:08 syslogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1
May  5 06:05:08 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 (2021-04-30 17:01:16 EDT)
May  5 06:05:08 kernel: Booting Linux on physical CPU 0x0
May  5 06:05:08 kernel: Linux version 4.1.27 (merlin@ubuntu-dev) (gcc version 5.3.0 (Buildroot 2016.02) ) #2 SMP PREEMPT Fri Apr 30 17:41:41 EDT 2021

Hi everyone.

My Asus AC86u is rebooting itself nearly every day, sometimes more often, and at random times. Or at least that is what it seems like is happening. I have included the most recent system log of the event. I am not sure if it is a setting, faulty router, bad cable, or connection from my ISP. The short drop is causing my VPN for work to disconnect. Hopefully someone else has seen this, or has a fix. I do not know how long it has been like this, as I never had a problem gaming or streaming before. I started noticing it when I began working from home in March along with everyone else.

Other pertinent information:
Running most recent Merlin firmware, have tried stock firmware with the same results.
15-20 devices all manually assigned IPs except my phone, smart home devices on 2.4, game systems and pc's on 5.
Verizon Fios ONT.
I can provide other settings if needed.

May 28 18:07:30 ntpd: Initial clock set
May 28 18:07:30 rc_service: ntpd_synced 1342:notify_rc restart_diskmon
May 28 18:07:30 disk_monitor: Finish
May 28 18:07:30 WAN_Connection: WAN was restored.
May 28 18:07:30 disk_monitor: be idle
May 28 18:07:30 miniupnpd[1379]: HTTP listening on port 59580
May 28 18:07:30 miniupnpd[1379]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351
You have provided very limited information. Please, attach at least a crash log starting from boot.

Use the forum's search function. This behaviour has been discussed endlessly.
Unfortunately, IMHO the forum's search function sometimes produces too many results. I have used the search function lots of times and have to admit it's tiresome at times.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!