What's new

RT-AC86U Set up disable wireless access to settings and autoupdate firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dylanmitchell

Regular Contributor
Picked up an RT-AC86U to replace a WRT 1900AC and have it set running but two settings are frustrating me. I'm running the stock firmware on the RT-AC86U and want to disable wireless access to router settings so the router settings can only be accessed via hardwired ethernet (disable remote administration). Also, how do I set the modem to auto update firmware? I want it to automatically install firmware so I don't have to connect it to a computer to check and updated firmware. Running stock firmware no Merlin no DD WRT. Asus tech support hasn't been of any help they suggested setting that would disable wifi entirely not just access to router settings.

On the Linksys WRT 1900 AC both settings were in the router menu I was easily able to have wireless access to settings disabled and set the router to auto update firmware which is great for a device you rarely log into and check for updated firmware. I really like the WRT 1900 AC but after a couple of years, wifi was getting spotty and immediately improved with the AC86U. Not sure if capacitors or other electronics in the router wore out.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Picked up an RT-AC86U to replace a WRT 1900AC and have it set running but two settings are frustrating me. I'm running the stock firmware on the RT-AC86U and want to disable wireless access to modem settings so the router settings can only be accessed via hardwired ethernet. Also, how do I set the modem to auto update firmware? I want it to automatically install firmware so I don't have to connect it to a computer to check and updated firmware. Running stock firmware no Merlin no DD WRT. Asus tech support hasn't been of any help they suggested setting that would disable wifi entirely not just access to router settings.

On the Linksys WRT 1900 AC both settings were in the router menu I was easily able to have wireless access to settings disabled and set the router to auto update firmware which is great for a device you rarely log into and check for updated firmware. I really like the WRT 1900 AC but after a couple of years, wifi was getting spotty and immediately improved with the AC86U. Not sure if capacitors or other electronics in the router wore out.

Thanks.
"... want to disable wireless access to modem settings so the router settings can only be accessed via hardwired ethernet."

I am confused because the RT-AC86U doesn't have a modem. When you say modem are you referring to the external device connected to your ISP? Can you explain.

Picked up an RT-AC86U to replace a WRT 1900AC and have it set running but two settings are frustrating me. I'm running the stock firmware on the RT-AC86U and want to disable wireless access to modem settings so the router settings can only be accessed via hardwired ethernet. Also, how do I set the modem to auto update firmware? I want it to automatically install firmware so I don't have to connect it to a computer to check and updated firmware. Running stock firmware no Merlin no DD WRT. Asus tech support hasn't been of any help they suggested setting that would disable wifi entirely not just access to router settings.

That is not possible on Asus routers!

You could set a strong password on main SSID and even hide it and dont tell anyone the password, let your clients only connect via guest-SSID, so they cant access router GUI.

There is no autoupdate too, only an alert blinking exlamation mark in GUI. But be happy because often one worse than previous.
You would need a business router than a consumer product.

"... want to disable wireless access to modem settings so the router settings can only be accessed via hardwired ethernet."

I am confused because the RT-AC86U doesn't have a modem. When you say modem are you referring to the external device connected to your ISP? Can you explain.

My apologies, corrected text above to read "router." Want to disable remote administration.

That is not possible on Asus routers!

You could set a strong password on main SSID and even hide it and dont tell anyone the password, let your clients only connect via guest-SSID, so they cant access router GUI.

There is no autoupdate too, only an alert blinking exlamation mark in GUI. But be happy because often one worse than previous.
You would need a business router than a consumer product.

Thanks, thought either I was a moron or Asus didn't allow disabling remote administration. And yes new firmware can be buggier than the last.

My Linksys WRT 1900 AC had both the option to disable remote administration and auto update firmware which was handy for the krack update. Went with the AC86U based on positive reviews here and other places and negative reviews about the WRT32X/ WR3200 AC.

As Grisu stated, you can't turn off being able to configure via WiFi. Beside the suggestion for using a strong password, you can also configure a HTTPS only session which would help against someone trying to monitor a session to the router.

Automatic firmware updates sounds nice but unless you can control reload time when firmware is updated, it could be a problem. I prefer to control my own destiny regarding updates. As far as reliability of firmware updates, ASUS reminds me of Microsoft Windows updates though better overall.

Thanks, I went in and set new passwords and configured the guest network. Does using HTTPS cause any bugginess or trouble logging in?

Fair points about auto firmware updates. I've postponed Windows and other updates until they're shown to be stable and I like to be on site for updates or at least run them outside normal work hours since no one wants their work interrupted by a buggy or slow update.

Any other tips for the RT86U or Asus routers in general?

Last edited:
Thanks, I went in and set new passwords and configured the guest network. Does using HTTPS cause and bugginess or trouble logging in?

Fair points about firmware I've postponed Windows and other updates when I'm working on a project and can't afford a buggy update and downtime. And I'd rather be onsite when there's a firmware update or at least run it outside work ours.

HTTPS works fine assuming your browser supports it and most do.

My home network is simple and unsophisticated so I don’t need all the features that ASUS offers. I am now able to have ipv6 as the primary protocol in my network though few internet sites I deal with have implemented.

No auto update firmware available - just a firmware update indicator
Use a strong password to prevent wireless log-in.

Thanks, I went in and set new passwords and configured the guest network. Does using HTTPS cause any bugginess or trouble logging in?

Fair points about auto firmware updates. I've postponed Windows and other updates until they're shown to be stable and I like to be on site for updates or at least run them outside normal work hours since no one wants their work interrupted by a buggy or slow update.

If using AiMesh, there was a report here that a node could not be added when Local Access Config/Authentication Method was set to HTTPS.

OE

Thanks, using it as a standalone no AiMesh for now but will keep that in mind so if I do AiMMesh and it doesn't work I can set back to http. Also, does AC86U allow hard-wired mesh networks (connect main router A to second router B with hard wired ethernet patch cord vs wireless so backhaul is on a wired connection)?

What's funny is Asus also says firmware doesn't update automatically but there's a thread on SNB about the AC86U auto-updating. So it may not update or it may update which infuriated those who like Asus because it won't auto update and take down network at a bad time. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac86u-firmware-keeps-updating-automatically.43165/

Also, does AC86U allow hard-wired mesh networks (connect main router A to second router B with hard wired ethernet patch cord vs wireless so backhaul is on a wired connection)?
Yes, all Aimesh routers now with last stock firmware.

Thanks, using it as a standalone no AiMesh for now but will keep that in mind so if I do AiMMesh and it doesn't work I can set back to http. Also, does AC86U allow hard-wired mesh networks (connect main router A to second router B with hard wired ethernet patch cord vs wireless so backhaul is on a wired connection)?

What's funny is Asus also says firmware doesn't update automatically but there's a thread on SNB about the AC86U auto-updating. So it may not update or it may update which infuriated those who like Asus because it won't auto update and take down network at a bad time. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac86u-firmware-keeps-updating-automatically.43165/

AiMesh supports wired/Gigabit Ethernet backhauls... router LAN to node WAN. If the router fails to auto detect a wired backhaul, you can set it manually. Some switches can interfere with auto detection.

The most recent firmware supports wired/Ethernet on-boarding... adding a wired node to the AiMesh without having to temporarily move it close to the router's WiFi. This feature compliments use of a wired backhaul.

I have used the N66, 68U, and now 86Us since March 2018, and I have never seen them auto upgrade their firmware. I suspect that reports of auto upgrading were true then for some reason, but that this is not the default behavior.

OE

I guess my 86U did do an automatic firmware upgrade when I first pulled it out of the box.

As far as I remember it had been an issue only on 86U with some firmwares and/or enabling auto-update could be set in the phone-app, but maybe I'm completely wrong, I have never seen it on mine (68U/86U).

If you use Aimesh it will use wired backhaul prefered to Wifi backhaul (set to auto) and changes in ~0,2s from one to the other on failure.

Last edited:
Asus responded to my e-mail and confirmed it does not update automatically (though some folks have seen it update). They referred to the IP address as ( 192.168.1.1) but mine is (192.168.50.1). Thanks for the support here! Most tech support is very limited and you often get irrelevant or worse incorrect info unless you luck out and reach that helpful and knowledgeable tech so Google and forums are my friend.

Now running firmware 384.6 build Wed Jul 25 16:37:39 UTC 2018 merlin@8f62873 (and this appears to be the latest release for the AC86U) and installed ExpressVPN on the router. Have seen mostly positive and some negatives re ExpressVPN but I wanted something more likely to work with streaming.

Do you guys use VPN's on the router and/ or the computer?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!