What's new

[RT-AC86U] Smart Connect with 5Ghz DFS Channels

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lorkadiscovery

Occasional Visitor
Hello all,

New here so please go easy. I have tried looking and can see that the information on smart connect is "confusing" at best.

Here is the problem I am facing at the moment.

If I set up 5Ghz on its own SSID with Auto channel selected it will setup my 5Ghz network on channel 52 (DFS)

From here I can go around the house and connect my devices to that SSID fine. (There are some things that will not connect as they are not supportive of DFS, i.e Firestick 2nd gen)

If I enable smart connect and change the channel on 5ghz to 36 then smart connect works fantastic for me and all of my devices go where they should.

The issue I have is that 36-48 is quite congested in my area with other SSIDs so I would like to use the DFS channels.

Now if I change the channel on 5g back to auto with smart connect on then reboot the router the only things that get steered onto 5g are my Samsung S9+ and my wifes Samsung S9

I can wait for hours and most of my 5g devices will remain sitting on the 2.4 SSID without being steered.

If i change the channel back to 36 and reboot then bamb they all steer over to the 5g SSID.

Can anyone please provide some info on this and I am sorry if my knowledge on this is not on point and I am being silly.

Thanks in advance.

You can use the Wireless MAC filter to deny devices from using the 2.4 GHZ band. But your best bet is to set the 2.4 GHZ to ch 1, 6 or 11 at 20 MHZ and the 5 GHZ to a fixed non DFS ch at 80 MHZ.

You can use the Wireless MAC filter to deny devices from using the 2.4 GHZ band. But your best bet is to set the 2.4 GHZ to ch 1, 6 or 11 at 20 MHZ and the 5 GHZ to a fixed non DFS ch at 80 MHZ.

Thank you for the reply.

So I have gone with channel 1 on 2.4 and changed channel width from 20/40 to 20 and i've changed 5g to channel 40 at 80 from 20/40/80 is that correct?

If 2.4 is now at 20 width is it still correct to only steer from 2.4 to 5 with a PHY rate of > 110?

Thanks in advance.

I believe that channels 149, 153, 157, 161 are also non-DFS so maybe your Firestick would accept one of these.

If you are using 80Mhz Fixed Channels, you may want to try 100 (5490-5570). You will have to wait for 60 secs on boot, after which you should be fine unless you are near a radar point. Any higher channels (in the EU) will push you into the weather radar bands and the boot delay goes up to 5 mins. If you are unfortunate enough to be near a radar point, then I would agree that you should settle for a non-DFS range.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!