What's new

RT-AC86U stops networking after a few days?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm glad you found a solution that works for you. However, this is simply a workaround, still, for your specific setup.

I don't have any customers that have to restart the HTTP daemon nightly. To me, that is a sign of a bad configuration.

The HTTP server doesn't have issues as far as I see. Neither RMerlin's nor Asus'.

I had some glitches on my original RT-AC86U but I had not done a full reset since Merlin 384.13 When I recently purchased my second RT-AC86U and updated both to 384.19 (I had played around with the new AiMesh 2.0 on them briefly) I finally did a full reset after installing 384.19 on them. Now my system is rock solid. I run only minimal scripts anymore, mainly Skynet. I have not done any further “scripting” other than briefly Cake-QoS, which I no longer use. I have other things for now to spend my time on and it is nice to just enjoy a very stable network environment. Take the sage advice, do a full reset, slowly restore your settings manually, making notes between changes. I even do backups of my config/jffs between changes to establish restore points if things get flaky. All my 29 devices have static DHCP assignments so I understand how daunting doing a full reset can be.

I must just back what @Smokey613 has said. I have done "dirty" firmware upgrades for many versions on my AC86U - but opted to do full factory reset after flashing with 384.19 in view of the significant changes [even since 384.18] plus truncated JFFS partition from 48Mb to 47Mb. Believe me - it was FULLY worth the time to do a complete manual rebuild without any settings restored from backups.

My AC86U is rock steady and entirely stable since I rebuilt from scratch - and with amtm built into the firmware ... it really didn't take that long to manually set everything up. Best tip I can give AC86U owners is ... take the time to do a full reset and rebuild after flashing 384.19 !!

I don't have any customers that have to restart the HTTP daemon nightly. To me, that is a sign of a bad configuration.
My configuration is not special. To me, it's a software issue - and I'd call that obvious.

The HTTP server doesn't have issues as far as I see. Neither RMerlin's nor Asus'.
Just look around here in the forum. When asking I had a few people confirming that this seems to be a well-known issue.

@Rici and there are just as many stating there isn't one. The ones with the issues are also the ones who might not think it needs to be reset or at least re-configured either?

I agree it's a software issue. I am just more proactive about it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!