What's new

Release RT-AC86U Version 3.0.0.4.384.82072

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well time to look elsewhere for a router. Do not like anything that auto updates, period. I have a R7800 sitting unopened in a box that I've kept around "just in case" (pandemic backup) and I guess it's time to open it up and give it a try.

Well time to look elsewhere for a router. Do not like anything that auto updates, period. I have a R7800 sitting unopened in a box that I've kept around "just in case" (pandemic backup) and I guess it's time to open it up and give it a try.

We'll keep a light ON for you. :)

OE

Auto updated for me also. I only noticed because the router uptime was only a couple hours (reboot around 4AM), when yesterday it was over 30 days. I noticed the firmware version and it auto-updated it. I have never had it do this before. Seems to be running fine, but I have always manually updated. Would love for an option to kill this feature.

Last edited:
Since it's seems rare for this router to ever auto-update, my guess is they patched a high risk/zero day exploit this time.

I just noticed this morning my ROG GT-AC2900 got updated to 3.0.0.4.384.82072. Asus website only shows 81974 for the AC2900. I only noticed this because my phone kept disconnecting from wifi. I rebooted and all seems fine for now. Wondering if I should just wait or flash back to the ROG firmware. Contacted asus to see whats up. Wish autoupdates are turned off.

Maybe @ASUSWRT_2020 can shed some light on this recent auto update "feature" that seems to now be the norm, at least for the ac86u

This auto update incident is not usual, typical, or standard; so not the norm.

OE

Seems to NOW be the norm is what I said.

By that definition, it WAS the norm for those who have already been auto updated. :)

It's either a glitch on their end or they made a decision to push a security update. But it's not the norm. The norm is that Asus does not normally push firmware updates.

OE

By that definition, it WAS the norm for those who have already been auto updated. :)

It's either a glitch on their end or they made a decision to push a security update. But it's not the norm. The norm is that Asus does not normally push firmware updates.

OE
I'm well aware that they don't normally push updates. At least they didn't till this New Norm :)

Maybe a white-hat hacker is using the remote code execution vulnerability to login to your routers remotely and apply the firmware upgrade to fix the vulnerability. :p

I'm well aware that they don't normally push updates. At least they didn't till this New Norm :)

It could be a new norm, but we won't know until enough firmware is released and auto updated over time to cause all hell to break loose, which I doubt will ever happen.

OE

I have NEVER seen an Asus router auto update. Check for updates yes, actually update no.

Some models (and firmware versions) do have auto-update enabled.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!