What's new

Release RT-AC86U Version 3.0.0.4.384.82072

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

auto update: uptime
1 days 6 hour(s) 34 minute(s) 35 seconds

seems to be working fine for me - log seems clean.

Unless that existing code is querying a server that informs it that the next update is a mandatory one?

The running firmware still has to be compiled running FORCED_UPGRADE, which means it`s on or it`s not. There`s no in-between.

Yea my router works kinda stable on internet from phone cuz my radio internet is shaky asf. Model produced in 2019 and firmware seems to be stable right now with normal internet provider. Also when i said back in the day that router sometimes auto updates and sometimes not like it depends on firmware people said this model is not auto updating. Lul this forum has many people that write smth they are not sure about and that where arguments arise.

The running firmware still has to be compiled running FORCED_UPGRADE, which means it`s on or it`s not. There`s no in-between.
I don't understand yet, but will try to look into the source code to learn, later (my scenario is used by a company I worked for, but will probably differ from what ASUS does).

It sounds like the firmware has an all or nothing auto update set when compiled, not a "auto update only to important updates": function.

I'm just annoyed by the vagueness of the update. "Fixed a remote code execution exploit" covers a lot of ground, ranging from your router being easily hacked from the WAN even when properly secured, to another webui security flaw that is largely irrelevant if you don't have the webui open to the WAN.

Yea my router works kinda stable on internet from phone cuz my radio internet is shaky asf. Model produced in 2019 and firmware seems to be stable right now with normal internet provider. Also when i said back in the day that router sometimes auto updates and sometimes not like it depends on firmware people said this model is not auto updating. Lul this forum has many people that write smth they are not sure about and that where arguments arise.

This post...

Says that auto update was enabled on AC86U 81992 7/9/2020, so hardly "back in the day". More like a month ago... just enough time for one auto update to this current firmware 82072. The previous discussion was 'does it auto update?', not 'will it ever auto update?'. People who have not seen an auto update can only attest to that fact.

OE

I haven't been on stock for the last few versions, but noticed you can disable the login captcha in Admin-System and there is now a drop down list of DNS servers to choose from under WAN DNS Setting.

I haven't been on stock for the last few versions, but noticed you can disable the login captcha in Admin-System and there is now a drop down list of DNS servers to choose from under WAN DNS Setting.
For some reason the DNS Server drop down list has disappeared from my AC86U. I know it was there because I reported it a couple of days ago.
Otherwise, this version is humming along!

Edit: The DNS Server drop downs show when the WAN gui is accessed via http:. With https: they go missing!

Last edited:
Unfortunately I'm unable to find the string FORCED_UPGRADE in the entire contents of (the extracted) GPL_RT_AC86U_300438481918.zip (using "ag" or "egrep").

Where should I look for this?

It's in target.mak. I don't know the exact string from memory, there are way too many of them, just look at the target.mak content.

fwiw, mine did not auto update but that doesn't mean it wouldn't have over time from 992.

this behavior is more than a bit concerning as the criteria to perform an update/reboot should be conditional and not simply binary. imagine being in the middle of some critical task and poof you're disconnected cause your 86u decided it's time to reboot based upon some arbitrary push notification!

if you guys are correct on how this actually occurs, it's indicative of some very poor programming indeed!!

i have lost all of port forwarding rules. and PPTP username ?!
how come ?!
all other settings seem ok.

i have lost all of port forwarding rules. and PPTP username ?!
how come ?!
all other settings seem ok.
It is possible the /jffs was booked. Merlin warned that Asus changed the size of the AC86U /jffs and his 384.19 release recommended backup of the data before upgrading. Guess there is a way to do this with stock but...

Well time to look elsewhere for a router. Do not like anything that auto updates, period. I have a R7800 sitting unopened in a box that I've kept around "just in case" (pandemic backup) and I guess it's time to open it up and give it a try.

This is probably a temporary change to forced update. There must be something important in this firmware. Or maybe some at ASUS accidentally toggled on auto update by accident. :)

this may deserve it's own thread but one has to wonder about this "push" component and what else might be going on. this auto-update issue has ruffled my feathers some.

i've read some of the stuff that few read - eulas (of sorts), and have seen nothing that describes some embedded "push" technology with the 86u. after purchasing this box, i believe they would have to divulge any embedded code that phones home or allows home unfettered access. software is licensed and when we buy software, we're really buying a license to use not own but hardware is typically different. we own the box. granted sw runs within the box but with our permission. that asustek or anyone may have access to the box seems like a breach to me.

this may deserve it's own thread but one has to wonder about this "push" component

It's not pushed from the server, it's pulled by your router.

It's not pushed from the server, it's pulled by your router.
yeah, i hear ya. it's still a bit a slippery slope to pull without consent but certainly that's a bit less intrusive than a push. there needs to be a flag, or user setting to enable/disable that feature.
. . . still, a good point and i'll sleep better tonight! :)

At the very least, there should be a notification to the user that the update has taken place! ...and there should be a DETAILED explanation of the update changes,

Those of us who complain about the supposed auto update are the minority of router users. I feel that it is a feature that should be welcomed to provide a bit more protection to those who just plug things in and forget them. By extension that should provide us a bit more security by trying to limit infection.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!