What's new

Release RT-AC86U Version 3.0.0.4.384.82072

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Can the A in FAUPGRADE or auto be an indication of any such setting? :)

[FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(6510)]no need to upgrade firmware

We won't know if current 82072 auto updates until it does.

Meanwhile, some here may be confusing auto firmware check (all Asus router firmware does this) with auto firmware update. They are not the same thing.

OE

I'm not seeing much discussion beyond the auto-update behavior. I guess this firmware is pretty good other than the auto-update behavior?

I clean installed my 2xRT-AC8U AiMesh Saturday and just finished tractor mowing a 2-acre lawn that encircles both nodes, while streaming TuneIn over a 2.4 mobile client.... not one network glitch... farthest points are nearly 300' and switch from node to node. That's been my gold standard.

OE

We won't know if current 82072 auto updates until it does.

Meanwhile, some here may be confusing auto firmware check (all Asus router firmware does this) with auto firmware update. They are not the same thing.

OE

Yeah you are correct. Btw it is off topic I know, but can anyone confirm that this stock firmware has hardware acceleration enabled for OpenVPN (AES 256 GCM)?
I seem to be having heavily reduced performance for my clients. :( It could also be my config though so not sure.

AFAIK, AES-NI cannot be turned on or off in the SoC. If the hardware has it, it will be used.

Maybe try testing setting up a new VPN to rule out one or the other?

AFAIK, AES-NI cannot be turned on or off in the SoC. If the hardware has it, it will be used.

Maybe try testing setting up a new VPN to rule out one or the other?
I had seen this article but it is from 2 years ago and I guess it was because of openvpn 2.3.2.

Could choosing HMAC sha384 and E HMAC bidirectional have contributed to a ~40% hit? I may have gone a bit overboard.

Edit: Also I guess stock only allows for one openvpn server so cannot configure another one I'm afraid.

To test, save your current OpenVPN server settings, reset the OpenVPN server to defaults and reconfigure with more 'sane' values. :)

To test, save your current OpenVPN server settings, reset the OpenVPN server to defaults and reconfigure with more 'sane' values. :)
I have so far not had much luck in restoring the server settings, but yes worth a try :).
I guess I will just restore the entire thing if not the server alone. Probably a mini project for the friday eve.

Previously I had left HMAC on default on merlin. What is that default?

After the last automatic update on the 17th, my internet connection is unstable. Several devices on the network lose the ability to browse the internet, although the internet signal on the modem indicates that the connection is stable.
During the "downtime" time, I can't even access the router's administration console.

After the last automatic update on the 17th, my internet connection is unstable. Several devices on the network lose the ability to browse the internet, although the internet signal on the modem indicates that the connection is stable.
During the "downtime" time, I can't even access the router's administration console.

What year and country is on your router label?

I would Restore w/Initialize from the webUI and then configure from scratch... then troubleshoot, if any.

OE

What year and country is on your router label?

I would Restore w/Initialize from the webUI and then configure from scratch... then troubleshoot, if any.

OE

Thank you for your interest in resolving the issue. I will try what you said.

Made in China. Bought at the official store in Brazil. Year of router: 2018

I don't think I've ever updated his firmware before.

When wifi communication fails, the following code appears in the log (attached file), do you have any tips on what may be happening? (mac modified for security reasons)

Attachments

• log.txt
    14.1 KB · Views: 177
Thank you for your interest in resolving the issue. I will try what you said.

Made in China. Bought at the official store in Brazil. Year of router: 2018

I don't think I've ever updated his firmware before.

When wifi communication fails, the following code appears in the log (attached file), do you have any tips on what may be happening? (mac modified for security reasons)

Some points...

The log entries are odd and unfamiliar to me. Such would suggest weirdness... stuff that should not normally happen.

Early built 86Us are known to become faulty. Both of my 2018 China 86Us died this year with a half-lit LAN LED 4. Prior to death, they each caused weird intermittent behavior that last about two weeks, like not resolving URLS and funky WiFi client connectivity. I wasted time troubleshooting this until they fully died.

I now have two 2020 Vietnam 86Us.

I would clean install the latest firmware 82072... it already auto updated so Restore w/Initialize from the webUI and then configure from scratch.

My install notes may help with the basics.

Generally speaking, if you have a solid, clean install and basic configuration, the router should do its job without weird things happening. Weird behavior suggests failing hardware... or perhaps the firmware update is messy and needs a purge and fresh start.

OE

wtf have 2 RT-AC88U and they updated auto to Version 3.0.0.4.385.20631, any way to disable the Auto Update, Both of the Routers never do some Auto Update before.

CONFUSED !

wtf have 2 RT-AC88U and they updated auto to Version 3.0.0.4.385.20631, any way to disable the Auto Update, Both of the Routers never do some Auto Update before.

CONFUSED !

This thread is not discussing your equipment, but if you read it, you should not be confused about your auto update experience.

OE

This 82072 firmware is running well here.

OE

CONFUSED !
Apparently not , you could block asus servers via firewall (not sure of any other impact on router) , switch to Merlin he doesn't auto update (n.b. Asus seem to switch it off and on when presumably they feel its necessary)
I'm in the same boat , posted here as well since 86u and 88 are similar and this thread was first to show up in a search for auto update.

i wonder if we should have a separate thread on auto update stuff.

i suggest that not to be a stickler for thread discipline but since it's likely that this issue will persist regardless of what build/release we're on, it would be nice to have a historical record of these experiences.

this thread type, while a very good one, tends to naturally fade into the sunset once the next build has been released. as a result, the auto update discussions will be more difficult to track.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!