What's new

RT-AC86U WAN connection help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gianpaolo

New Around Here
Hello,
I've just run into a problem that I am unable to solve. I am currently running the FW 386.40558.
I am longer able to connect to the ISP WAN (TIM). I have called them many times but they ar e not seeing any fault on the ADSL line.
Following is a brief log after restarting th internet connection :

May 5 08:00:16 rc_service: httpd 247:notify_rc restart_wan_if 0
May 5 08:00:18 pppd[6004]: pppd 2.4.7 started by AdoDuS, uid 0
May 5 08:00:31 zcip client: configured 169.254.83.139
May 5 08:00:31 WAN Connection: Fail to connect with some issues.
May 5 08:00:54 pppd[6004]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets807
May 5 08:02:09 pppd[6004]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
May 5 08:03:24 pppd[6004]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
May 5 08:04:39 pppd[6004]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
May 5 08:05:54 pppd[6004]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
May 5 08:07:09 pppd[6004]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
May 5 08:08:24 pppd[6004]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets

Apart form the obvious (lack of a WAN connection) I am not sure of the following :
1. " zcip client : configured 169.254.83.139" - ?? Does this infuence the lack of the WAN connection ?
2. " WAN Connection : Fail to connect with some issues.

Also I often get this

May 5 07:46:30 rc_service: httpd 248:notify_rc restart_wan_if 0
May 5 07:46:30 pppd[2721]: Unable to complete PPPoE Discovery
May 5 07:46:36 rc_service: httpd 248:notify_rc restart_wan_if 0
...(the rest is the same as above).

Any ideas of what is happening ?
Thanks in advance for any help

...Well for what it's worth...it wasn't my problem.
A technician was sent over and discovered that their Dslam wasn't responding to the IP request. So they reset that connection as calibrated the ADSL line. It's working perfectly...for now.

Glad your ISP finally realized this was their issue and resolved it for you. Sorry we were not able to help sooner, but thanks for contributing the resolution for future reference.

The PPP link is a tunnel that connects your router to the ISP over the DSL modem through the DSLAM. Both the IP address assignment needed for your router and eventually your IP packets to the Internet flow through the PPP link. The pppd is the PPP demon (aka background process) that runs on your router waiting to setup the PPP link. So basically, the logs show that the PPP link wasn't able to be established, but likely the DSL data transmission itself was working. Sounds like from the fix that the ISP's side of the PPP link wasn't working properly until they reset something.

I'm not sure what the czip refers to, but the IP address that was configured in that log line is in the 169.254.xxx.xxx private address space that is used for autoconfiguration when a device can't properly obtain an IP address, likely a side effect of the PPP link not being established.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!