What's new

RT-AC86U with 384.17 shutting down completely

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ObeliskAG

New Around Here
Not sure how to best report this issue.

My RT-AC86U was upgraded from 384.15 to 384.17 on May 15th. Since then the device has "gone dead" twice. The symptoms are no connectivity from LAN or Wi-Fi, no LEDs on the front panel - it appears the unit has been switched off - but it has not. Turning the power switch off, pausing, then turning back on, restores the device to full functionality.

There are no entries in the System Log regarding an error.

I am considering reverting to 384.15 but I am wondering what other peoples experience has been.

Last edited:
Search this forum for this model and you'll find plenty of posts about it.
It's common with your router model when it restarts.

Search this forum for this model and you'll find plenty of posts about it.
It's common with your router model when it restarts.

I did search the forum and nothing lept out at me about the AC86U hanging up. The issue isn't when the model restarts, it is many days later when it crashes.

As my search didn't turn up the right results, could you post a link to a relevant thread please?

Reactions: a5m
The symptoms are no connectivity from LAN or Wi-Fi, no LEDs on the front panel - it appears the unit has been switched off - but it has not. Turning the power switch off, pausing, then turning back on, restores the device to full functionality.

There are no entries in the System Log regarding an error.
Those are the exact symptoms with that router model for a restart that never fully ran.
The syslog would not show any helpful info as at that stage it cannot write to the syslog.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac86u-sometimes-powers-completely-off-during-reboot.48296/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac86u-hangs-on-reboot.55748/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/384-15-soft-reboot-did-not-complete-86u.62486/#post-557513

https://www.shaolintiger.com/2014/03/17/asus-rt-ac68u-keeps-rebooting-restarting/

Hi thelonelycoder,

Thanks for the links. I had not considered the scheduled restarts could be involved.

Unfortunately, as the router is scheduled to restart on Fridays, this would not explain the outage at the beginning of the week, but might explain today's issue. I will disable automatic restarting and see what happens over the next week.

Regards,

ObeliskAG

Did you do a full reset/initialize of the router after the firmware upgrade or did you just install the firmware and that's it, aka a dirty upgrade.

Hi, just as a FYI, I own a new AC86U (3 months) and just recently I will get up in the morning and look at my AC86U and lo & behold, no LEDS are on. It's like I had turned it off. I'll then turn off the power, turn it back on and it's running fine. I wll test for this but I never considered that it was on and still working but not showing the LEDS? In my setup I'm using the 86U as an AiMesh node with a wireless backhaul to my RT-AC5300. Both units are running the current Merlin firmware in a fairly vanilla setup.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Hi, just as a FYI, I own a new AC86U (3 months) and just recently I will get up in the morning and look at my AC86U and lo & behold, no LEDS are on. It's like I had turned it off. I'll then turn off the power, turn it back on and it's running fine. I wll test for this but I never considered that it was on and still working but not showing the LEDS? In my setup I'm using the 86U as an AiMesh node with a wireless backhaul to my RT-AC5300. Both units are running the current Merlin firmware in a fairly vanilla setup.

There's a button at the back to turn LEDs off and on, and a setting in Administration / System. Also, amtm has an LED scheduler function. Make sure none of them are pressed or activated.

Yes, thanks, I'm aware of those. When I said "get up in the morning" it was implicate that the router was on, OK when I went to bed so the LED's turning off happened during the night, on it's own…

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!