What's new

RT-AC86U with Merlin 386.5_2 loses internet connection when ISP IP changes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HPickle

New Around Here
I have an Ethernet Fiber connection from my ISP that gives my router a public IP via DHCP. Whenever the IP changes, no connected devices can access the internet until I restart the router. The devices can connect to the router itself via wireless, access the administration page, etc. they just cant' connect to the internet. Once I restart the router, everything is fine.

Is there anything I can to prevent this?

Thanks!

Hi. I also had a problem with restoring the connection - need restart the router. I used the ChkWAN script (monitors the connection and restarts the WAN interface in case of a failure + later, if necessary, restarts the router) + the WICENS script and I am informed by email about every change of IP address with the length of use of the previous one...

I have an Ethernet Fiber connection from my ISP that gives my router a public IP via DHCP. Whenever the IP changes, no connected devices can access the internet until I restart the router. The devices can connect to the router itself via wireless, access the administration page, etc. they just cant' connect to the internet. Once I restart the router, everything is fine.

Thanks!

How long is your DHCP lease time from your ISP? If 1 hour or less this seems to be a known issue with the 86 and the script mentioned above is probably necessary. In reality your WAN IP shouldn't be changing, it is not renewing properly, expires, and you lose internet access until you release/renew the IP (which causes you to get a new one). How often is your IP changing?

However many fiber users also have an issue with some routers when using Guest Wireless 1 where all internet connectivity is lost due to guest wireless DHCP being forwarded to the ISP. If you're using GW1 you may want to try switching to using GW2 or 3 instead. The symptoms are similar, your router gets a new WAN IP and nobody has any internet access when this happens. Not positive if this impacts the 86 or not but it definitely impacts several routers. So if you have a longer than 1 hour lease time this may actually be your issue.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!