What's new

RT-AC87U 5GHZ BAND R.I.P

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

37.3.0.50 => ASUS
37.3.1.25 => NETGEAR

so Asus still have older ???

Thanks for the response. I use a 66R which works fine and I have an unopened 87u. I have not opened it because of all the negative posts. I'm thinking of just selling both and getting the 3100.

My good friend had bought the 87U last year and was very happy with the purchase. I was impressed with his router so
I bought an 87U a little after but I had similar problems as I read in the forums.
My 5ghz would work great for one day and then crap out.
I put Merlin, ASUS, firmware but it didn't help.
I would connect to a computer via remote desktop and it would drop connection and reconnect.
I returned it before the 30 days period to best buy because in my opinion it was a lemon. I continued using the 66u.
2 months ago I bought it again because my friends router 87u was still working great.
and I liked the features it had which where better then my 66u
better antenna power and faster VPN speeds etc. I wanted to get the 88U but I read tons of problems with that one as well so I said let me try it again I don't have anything to lose expect returning it for a refund.
This new 87u gave me no problems. Its working great with no issues.
I think either they had problems with their first versions which later on got fixed and if someone is buying a new 87U they should check the date it was build.
It doesn't make sense that some 87u work great and others are lemons.
I even bought one for my brother 3 weeks ago and its working flawlessly.
I abuse my 87U with all kinds of its features on, including VPN client, server, FTP, Media Center, NAS etc.
Before I updated to the new firmware from Merlin I had it running for 45 days without a hick-up.
its sad that people are knocking down these models because if you have a good one its actually an amazing router.
I hope ASUS fixes these issues because they make great routers although it seems many of them are defective.
Perhaps this is due to bad Quality Inspection.
I saw some pictures where heat syncs where not on properly, this is not right people should not be getting lemons that they are stuck with
and have to wait for it to maybe be fixed.
I urge anyone who buys a 87U to fully test it the first couple of weeks and if they have the smallest problem return it and get another one from another store until
you get one that works. If a router is a lemon you will know it right away in the first week.
There is no reason to fiddle around with new firmware and and rebooting and shutting down.
The router should work properly right out of the box.

Last edited:
The 88U and the 3100 are the most trouble free routers they have made right out of the box not sure we're you get there were tons of problems with them. And certainly light years better then the 87U.

The 88U and the 3100 are the most trouble free routers they have made right out of the box not sure we're you get there were tons of problems with them. And certainly light years better then the 87U.
I am not sure where I read that the 88U had problems but it was in this form.
People where complaining that the firmware was not working right and they had issues
I am not here to compare what is better. I am just reading stuff about the 87U and its not all true in my cases.
Like I said I have 3 cases of 87U and they work perfect. As long as your happy with your router let me be happy with mine, because mine is not a lemon :)
Here are my results. I never reboot unless I put new firmware.
The temperatures are no where near what I have seen others state in this thread.
So once again I will say, not all 87U are lemons. maybe in the beginning but I don't see any design flaw or cooling problems
Mine is mounted on the wall. The other 2 87U that I know of are sitting on a counter.
None have the problems I am reading. You think I would keep a router that is a piece of junk and I would sit here stating differently? 17 days ago is when I put the new firmware. Prior to that it was over 45 days with no reboot and the temperatures are pretty stable!
Also the 88U is a lot more expensive and the features really aren't that much different then the 87U
this is my opinion :)
My 87U

temp.jpg

Last edited:
there are some who replaced (silikon?) thermal pads on RT-AC68U with little thicker metal plates (you can buy sets with different thickness to fit your needs) and a drop thermal paste on both sides.
If radio chips are well below 60°C it should be enough to change it only for CPU an case its more than 80°C. Sure the less the better but they are designed to be ok up to these temperatures.

there are some who replaced (silikon?) thermal pads on RT-AC68U with little thicker metal plates (you can buy sets with different thickness to fit your needs) and a drop thermal paste on both sides.
If radio chips are well below 60°C it should be enough to change it only for CPU an case its more than 80°C. Sure the less the better but they are designed to be ok up to these temperatures.
Yeah i think something needs to be done! Dunno if replace thermal pads or adding fans ..
And it's not even summer!

I got only 85° with completely removed heat sink (but open back housing) when I tested it on my RT-AC68U. You really got a problem!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!