1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC87U, Is it possible to monitor the temperature?

Discussion in 'ASUS Wireless' started by silentlookr, May 22, 2020 at 4:24 PM.

1. silentlookr

silentlookr New Around Here

Does RT-AC87U have ability to have CPU temperature monitored. If so where as i am not seeing that option?

2. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

With RMerlin firmware it is possible. :)

silentlookr likes this.
  3. silentlookr

Any good place that i can read up on how to do it and what is sideffect as result of switching it? I never done custom firmware on routers before.

4. L&LD

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/features

Download the version for your router from the link above. Unzip it and then compare the SHA256 hash from the sha256sum.sha256 file (open it with Notepad) using a utility like HashTab for the unzipped .trx file (the .trx file is the firmware). (Install HashTab and right-click on the file you want to verify the hash value for).

Having downloaded and verified the file for your router model, simply go to the router's GUI and flash it like any normal firmware update.

After you have verified that it flashed correctly by checking the installed version number in the GUI, you should now do a full reset to factory defaults and also make sure to check the 'Initialize all settings...' checkbox to ensure the new firmware is using its expected defaults.

Now, minimally and manually configure the router without using a saved backup config file to secure it and connect to your ISP.

The M&M Config guide which you can find in the link in my signature below may also be useful to set/change some settings to better 'defaults' too.

HTH. :)

royarcher, Zastoff and silentlookr like this.
  5. silentlookr

Thank you very much will follow those instructions!!!

royarcher and L&LD like this.
  6. L&LD

You're welcome. Let us know how you make out with your triumphs or your tribulations. :)

We'll help you celebrate the former and also help you overcome the latter too!

royarcher likes this.