What's new

RT-AC87U only CTF HW Accel even with default settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

133794m3r

Occasional Visitor
I know that it's not enabled with iQos/trend micro stuff etc. But even after resetting back to factory defaults(after reflashing) it still says CTF only, and the only options are Auto and Disabled, which why you'd want to disable HW acceleration is beyond me.

Also what is the difference in cpu usage when comparing CTF only and full HW acceleration?

Edit:The cpu says 70*C which is a bit high I think considering what the system's cpu time averages say.
that's for the normal cpus.
Load average: 0.07 0.05 0.05 1/83 3288

here's the temps.
2.4 GHz: 45°C - 5 GHz: 60°C - CPU: 72°C

Last edited:
You may want to disable as it can interfere with specific applications and how they use NAT. You only get a real benefit if your WAN is over ~150mbps anyway so it's not a major issue for most (for now anyway!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you didn't answer the rest of my questions like how much CPU usage is different, and also why the cpu temps are so high.

you didn't answer the rest of my questions like how much CPU usage is different, and also why the cpu temps are so high.

Because I don't know those answers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those temperatures are perfectly normal.

Those temperatures are perfectly normal.
and the cpu usage difference between flow control and the CTF(which I think n16 only had), that's really high though I think my n16 was only ~40*C idling with ~50*C when using it kinda heavily.

Off topic, but the app analysis thing why does i have a EULA stating you give up your private data i can understand that kinda of EULA on the malware ilsts one as you kinda need to download the list of badware domains/C&C servers etc but app analysis makes zero sense to me. Finally, the NVRAM says ~46KiB if I did the math right out of 64KiB

Two older threads covering these topics:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/has-the-rt-ac87u-been-fixed.34756/
and
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/cant-activate-level-2-ctf-fa-cut-through.35329

FWIW, I've never been able to enable full FA acceleration on my RT-AC87U either, even after spending days trying out various combinations of settings. The minutes it takes to reboot it and try the settings out really takes the piss, stopping me from being arsed to spend more time on this.

I'e got a 250 mbit up/down fiber connection, the router has no trouble coping with full traffic to/from up to 6 different units connected to it. That's with CTF acceleration enabled and working.

My router's system temperatures are roughly the same regardless of load and time of day:
2.4 GHz: 48°C - 5 GHz: 69°C - CPU: 85°C

At first, I was worried about the high CPU temperature as well, but several posts said it's normal and that the router and CPU has no problems coping with it. I can vouch for that as I've not run into any heat issues ever since I bought it appx 5 months ago.

Off topic, but the app analysis thing why does i have a EULA stating you give up your private data i can understand that kinda of EULA on the malware ilsts one as you kinda need to download the list of badware domains/C&C servers etc but app analysis makes zero sense to me. Finally, the NVRAM says ~46KiB if I did the math right out of 64KiB

Trend Micro's DPI engine comes with a global EULA that covers all features tied to it. They can't start issuing different EULAs depending on which specific feature you decide to enabled/disable. Apps Analysis relies on Trend Micro's technology.

The biggest thing that I don't get is why it says that I have to give up all of my data to them according to teh thing, I know that all of the antivirus companies software that has "web" protection basically use a phising list and check for new threats etc and you give up that information to them. The EULA's data rules thing is the one that I found the weirdest.