What's new

[RT-AC87U running 384.5] WAN MAC change not taking

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sween

Occasional Visitor
When I change the WAN MAC and apply settings, my RT-AC87U says that it is applied successfully and shows the different MAC; however, my modem doesn't issue a different IP address like it used to.

I switched to an old router running DD-WRT with a different WAN MAC, and my IP address did indeed change.

I regularly do this once every few months but just noticed since installing 384.5 my IP address is not changing when I change the WAN MAC, so this leads me to believe the WAN MAC address isn't actually changing on my RT-AC87U even though the setup page shows that it has. I did a factory reset and got the same result.

It`s possible the modem might be caching the MAC. Try rebooting it as well. Some ISPs will actually refuse to issue a new DHCP lease from a different MAC until the modem is kept offline for 5-10 minutes (that's the case for my own ISP).

It`s possible the modem might be caching the MAC. Try rebooting it as well. Some ISPs will actually refuse to issue a new DHCP lease from a different MAC until the modem is kept offline for 5-10 minutes (that's the case for my own ISP).

I actually unplugged both the modem and router for about twenty minutes after I noticed it wasn't issued a new IP the first time.

When I tried the old DD-WRT router I had lying around, I didn't wait and was issued a new IP immediately. I also went into the DD-WRT settings and changed the WAN MAC after that and didn't wait any longer than it took to reboot the modem and got a different IP address again.

It's a strange problem that I've never encountered in all the years I've been doing that to get a different IP.

All I can say is last time I changed my WAN MAC through the Clone MAC page (as I wanted to reuse the same DHCP lease with a different router), it worked for me.

All I can say is last time I changed my WAN MAC through the Clone MAC page (as I wanted to reuse the same DHCP lease with a different router), it worked for me.

I appreciate your replies.

I might try re-flashing 384.5 or just wait for 384.7.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!